Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

can i be denied health insurance?
      #100578 - 06/30/04 10:03 AM

i am in the process of applying for health insurance. i have not had any health insurance for the past year or so. i was just lazy and didn't think i needed it. one month ago i started experiencing symptoms (had several real risk exposures), and got scared that i may need health insurance if i test positive. my question is can i be denied insurance? if i'm positive, it may seem kinda weird that i didn't have coverage for a year or so, decided to get it about the same time i tested positive. and also, should i expect not to pay normal preimums if i'm positive? thanks

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Chiquilla
Unregistered

Re: can i be denied health insurance? new
      #100590 - 06/30/04 02:12 PM

I don't know about this in general terms. In my personal experience I have been insured many times by different companies, yet I have never taken any kind of HIV test before being covered. If you test positive anonymously (which from your post, it doesn't sound like you've tested pos), I don't see how they could access that info unless they required some kind of screening test....which frankly, just doesn't sound that legal.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: can i be denied health insurance? new
      #100594 - 06/30/04 03:55 PM

i haven't tested yet, but was just wondering the implications of my health insurance if i test positive. i guess you're right though, the more i think about it, they can't test you and deny/approve based on results. that sounds extremely illegal! but i have heard of people getting tested for life insurance policies. i guess in that case, that seems quite legal and reasonable.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1303

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3