Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Definite Symptoms But Still Negative. Why?
      #100526 - 06/29/04 06:00 AM

Hi Folks!

I'm wondering if somebody could shed some light on my problem...About 2 years ago I had unprotected sex with a prostitute (20 intercourse sessions or more). About 2 weeks later I developed an ARS like illness that disappeared after 1 week. 3 months later, I developed the symptoms of CFS / Fibromyalgia (Chronic fatigue, muscle weakness/twitching, dry eyes/mouth, aches and pains, exercise intolerence, occasional rash, numb/tingling feet and hands). These symptoms continue till today.

I later discovered that this prostitute was HIV+. I tested with ELISA at 5mths, 7mths and 19mths post exposure but all negative.

Recently i got involved with a wonderful girl and we had sex and it was protected. After 2 mths, she began to experience the same symptoms but mostly a rash.

What is happening here? I tested negative and assumed that I was negative. I dismissed my physical symptoms as stress and maybe CFS/FMS. Now I may have infected somebody I care about very much.

Does anybody have any answers? Please help! Should I test again? Is Viral load or P24 testing required for me to really know the answer?

Please help anybody!!! Thank you!!!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kiltedone

Reged: 06/19/04
Re: Definite Symptoms But Still Negative. Why? new
      #100527 - 06/29/04 07:15 AM

Sounds more like stress, guilt etc connected to having sex. You are not a special case you are just expcting life to deal you the bum card...Seek some help, embrace love tell the woman about yor problem and go get tested again if you feel you need to.

But take it easy with the kinda "tests must b wrong bullshit" aloy of people are scared here and need confadence that their tests are conclusive. don't wreck there emoptional well being coz you cant come to terms with being -ve.

Hope it all works out for you.

Jess
Unregistered

#100539 - 06/29/04 01:25 PM

You've taken the ELISA tests at 5,7, and 19 months past exposure and they are all negative. You are conclusively negative if you haven't had any unprotected sex in between all these testings , but if not, you should be negative. I would see a physican to see what is going on with all these symptoms, but it could just be a mild allergic reaction to something pertaining the girl's rash (i.e perfume, food, detergent). But if you are still having doubts that you may have this disease, I'd go have one more test to sleep well at night. There is the PCR which is very sensitive, but more expensive than the ELISA. I hope you guys are okay, but testing negative at 19 months, I would think that is more than conclusive. Good luck and be safe. -Jess

tammy

Reged: 08/26/02
      #100569 - 06/29/04 10:27 PM

you tested neg, to 19 months? WOW! you r fine. I tested needlessly 38 times...al neg. and it took me a while to believe this asa well, so i took a course in HIV transmission and testing, and with the tests they have this day, 3 weeks most people will test possitive, the 3 month window is for the others. In real case studies, i have read of only one case taking 6 months to show positive. I have been through all of this and i did the next best thing instead of driving myself crazy with worry. I went to school and studied HIV and AIDS. I now work with students at the Toronto Aids and HIV testing center. Everyday i deal with this issue, and over and over again, most people just cannot accept the 3 month window. But it is so true, do legitamate research, not on the web, as anyone can design a web page.
good luck
tammy

Anonymous
Unregistered

#100571 - 06/29/04 11:23 PM

Dear Tammy, Jess & Kltedone,

Thanks for your reassuring words and advice! I also agree that 19 months post exposure is indeed long enough for the ELISA test to show a positive if I really was infected; according to the available literature.

However, I would also like to know from anybody, if they had the same puzzling symptoms as I do and then tested positive.

I need to know this because I can't test indefinitely and PCR is unavailable where I am right now.

Thanks guys!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#100577 - 06/30/04 09:53 AM

How did you later discover that this prostitute was HIV+? Did she tell you this?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#100616 - 06/30/04 11:06 PM

It was confirmed through a friend of mine who keeps in touch with a friend of the prostitute. He was the one who alerted me to test in the first place.

Kayla
Unregistered

#100640 - 07/01/04 11:38 AM

The reason I ask is because I am dealing with an identical situation. But we all test negative (years out of our "windows"). It is very perplexing, because we are all having very whacked out (and severe) symptoms, involving hospitals and surgeries. but, you're saying this girl is +, so your situation seems different to me. Are you sure she's tested positive or is it just a hunch? Read my story "I am a link in a chain of sick people", June 11, 2004.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#157224 - 07/14/05 05:25 AM

hi just wanted to know how ur feeling now..... i have the same symptoms.....chronic pain, severe tingling with pain in the hands and feet...my exposure was unprotected anal sex with a prostitute ( really fucking stupid). in july 2001 and i want crazy testing...had about 11 tests all elisa (last test was march 2005) all were negative..really do wanna move on but these aches and pains keep putting doubts in my mind too...never had a pcr test done....please update me with ur situation as it is very similar to mine......thaknx adam

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3175

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3