Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Announcements >> Classifieds

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

I work with AIDS patients
      #66 - 03/28/00 11:53 PM

I work with AIDS patients a lot and it's such a good time now.
There is so much hope in the air. The AIDS floors are emptying
out and people are feeling more control over their lives. I've
been through the hard times and now it's so nice and gratifying
to see the good times! This site is so helpful. Where are all the
nurses?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Carlos Alberto
Unregistered

Re: I work with AIDS patients new
      #67 - 03/28/00 11:54 PM

Hi, I´m Carlos Alberto, I'm 28 years old and I live in Mexico City. I am now working as a volunteer with children living wits HIV/AIDS. They are 16 children and they are between 4 months and 11 years old. I'd like to have communication with other people working with / living with / affected by pediatric AIDS.

Andrea Sandvig
Unregistered

#68 - 03/28/00 11:55 PM

Hi my name is Andrea. I am in 8th grade at Timbercrest Junior High in Woodinville, WA. In my english class, we are doing an "I-Search" Project. My topic is AIDS, and I was wondering if I could have your address and write you a letter, and I am not allowed to write over e-mail. I would like to ask you a few questions about AIDS in my letter. Thank you for responding to my letter, I appreciate it.

Thanks Again,
Andrea Sandvig

Anonymous
Unregistered

#69 - 03/28/00 11:56 PM

I am a nurse, responsible for 16 long term care facilities, of which I am one of three owners. I am searching different AIDS resource sites looking for material for the uneducated staff at one of my facilities. They have recently taken their first patient with the diagnosis of AIDS; of course, they are feeling all kinds of feelings and I am searching the sources for some inservice material. There is a need for long term care placement for patients whose families and friends have "forgotten" them and we want to be there for them!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#70 - 03/28/00 11:57 PM

I am new to the healthcare field. I have only 6 more classes before we start the "hands on" stuff. I was assigned a debate for my Medical Law and ethics class. The debate is on wether or not healthcare workers should be informed if someone has HIV. I was assigned the CON side. I am having difficulties in this as I am so new and still so green I don't know where to go or even how to debate this topic. Do you think in your experience you could help someone new, with this issue? I hope to get a response.

B.J.
Unregistered

#71 - 03/28/00 11:58 PM

I am a nurse working in a state prison. I, like all of the rest of the nurses, work directly with the HIV+ inmates. I have been with the institution for 6 years and have had the High Risk clinic for almost as long. I know first hand the stigma that surrounds the knowledge of one's HIV status, but I firmly believe that there needs to be a line drawn when a disease can directly affect the HCW that is taking care of someone. I am bound by confidentiality, not only with my job, but with the non-written, non-verbal agreement that I have with each of my guys. I have been a nurse for 21 years and patient confidentiality was a very big part of my nursing education. I believe that each time there is patient contact, there has to be universal precaution. It is easier to "pretend" that each inmate I draw blood on, or assist in a surgical proceedure is not only HIV+ but also Hep+. I understand that knowing someone's HIV status could make someone a little more nervous or wary, but I also know that knowing someone's status allows for a wealth of other things. Not knowing would and does make me more nervous for various reasons. Universal precautions are only good if they are followed to the T, and only if the correct equipment is provided and used. It took 2 needle sticks in 1 week to get our contract company to provide the needleless system and the proper blood drawing equipment.There is no way to tell you of what it is like to find yourself exposed to HIV as a HCW---unless you have been there. Educate and protect yourself, but make it a habit so doing it becomes FIRST NATURE! If you find that you are taking care of someone with HIV/Aids...remember there is a person inside the disease, and their needs are great. BJ>>>

dana
Unregistered

#72 - 03/28/00 11:59 PM

Your message clearly shows how kind a nurse
you are. dana

Anonymous
Unregistered

#73 - 03/29/00 12:01 AM

The debate is on wether or not healthcare workers should be informed if someone has HIV. I was assigned the CON side.

The con side is really absurd--since even if someone doesn't know they are infected they can be--people get infected all the time--so you should learn to be very cautious with each and every patient! Anyway on the con side--at least with someone who is known to be HIV positive you can be very careful. The problem with this is that it can give you a false sense of security

Roberta

Rainbow Home
Unregistered

#74 - 03/29/00 12:02 AM

I also work with PLWA's. It is nice right now because things are pretty quiet. We have not had a death in almost two months. The residents we have right now are basically here to be monitered on their medications and get help dealing with the sometimes terrible side effects. I still think of what is around the corner though. You never know what will happen with this disease!!!!! It is nice to finally find someone who is an HIV/AIDS caregiver.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5634

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement