Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Gay Men

Pages: 1
meliatur
New User

Reged: 04/28/04
personal choice- No Meds
      #96983 - 04/29/04 08:24 AM

I was diag. poz in april of 2000. I've made a persoanl choice not to take meds and live life to the fullest. I know I cannot conform to the regimen's, becoming resistant, tring another med, living with bad side effects and toxicity etc. So from the beginning I made a persoanl choice not to take meds. I have a cd4 of 78, and V.L> of 70,000.
If you know others like me, I'd like to connect with them for support and hear there stories too.
thx for reading this.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: personal choice- No Meds new
      #97127 - 05/01/04 01:11 AM

I don't get it. You have a chance to live a full live and you're giving it up? Not everyone becomes resistant to meds. Many people I know take it once a day and are fine. They work full time and have few side effects. Why would you choose death? Don't you know how good the medications have become?

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: No Drive to Live new
      #97486 - 05/04/04 10:51 AM

Personal choice to commit suicide. You mock the millions of Africans, Asians and South Americans who would do anything to get the medications. Why not get the medications through your ADAP or insurance and send it to the people who want to live! This way you can do help save other people's lives! Millions will do anything to live--even take medications once a day!
http://www.thebody.com/govt/actions.html#recycle

Edited by TheBody (05/06/04 04:33 AM)

Anonymous
Unregistered

#97633 - 05/05/04 03:36 PM

I'm sure there are lots of people in your situation, but none that I know of.

Sounds like you've made up your mind already, but just in case you can be convinced, I was living in your same situation about 9 years ago.... cd4 of around 100 and >100K viral load. I felt like crap most of the time with very little energy and fairly persistent OIs. I had given myself maybe 1 or 2 years at the most given my rapid decline.

Fortunately, Protease inhibitors were released just about the time I was diagnosed and started the "cocktail" regimen. There were definately some negative side-affects with these early drugs, but my health improved at what I would call a miraculous rate and within 3 months my viral load was undetectable and my cd4 count was over 500 again.

This was nine years ago and I'm very happy that my viral load is still undectable and my cd4 count has remained above 800 for the entire time. I'm in the best shape in my life and with the new drug combinations, the nasty side affects have completely disappeared.

It's obviously your choice, but just wanted to give you a real life example of how taking a cocktail does not necessarily mean a reduction in quality of life. In my case, the quality of my life has increased by an amazing amount and I see no reason why I wont live a full and completely healthy life.

Just my two-cents.... take another look at drug therapy and make sure you have a *very* good doctor.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#97836 - 05/06/04 12:40 PM

I became poz. in July of 2000. I am not on a drug program, nor do I plan on starting on either. Too many side effects, & I've never been able to stick to a regimen of drugs -- even a few days of an antibiotic & I'm guaranteed to miss at least 2 pills. I'll live till life's over :)

Anonymous
Unregistered

#97844 - 05/06/04 04:16 PM

same with me if i ever turned poz i would not take the pills until they had a once a day non toxic pill its my choice not to be a slave to pills

bfr
Unregistered

#98587 - 05/11/04 02:47 PM

My partner has never really been med compliant. In fact he has been told several times if he didn't comply he would be dead in two years, he was told that the first time twelve years ago. He is however planning on starting soon [nest few days]. 18 years into it and 360,000 viral and 51 t-cells and he has begun to have more OI's.I'm not condoning not being on meds it is a personal choice. It's worked for my S O partly beacause he has a very mild form of the virus. My partner is also a little crazy I'm not sure if this has helped or not? It's a very hard call. I hope you and he are making the right choices! Get all the support you can....god bless

Anonymous
Unregistered

#98613 - 05/11/04 08:07 PM

I feel as though you are confused in the idea of taking drugs. They are not what they were in terms of protese inhibitors..

With a t-cell of 78 I do hope that you will reconsider and try Sustiva and Combivir. They have an average drug adherance of five years.

That is five good years added to your life! Hang in there.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#101505 - 07/15/04 12:44 PM

Yes, you are right, DEAD right, suicide IS a personal choice.

But who am I to preach? I still stupidly smoke and I guess that is also slow suicide, but at least slower than not taking meds. And I WILL quit smoking! Reminds me of that hilarious t-shirt I saw, "I'm Fat -- You're Ugly -- I can diet."

I had a CD4 of 54 & VL thru the roof, pneumonia, wasting, life-threatening diarrhea, the whole 9 yards of full blown AIDS. I've been on meds almost 3 years now and except for the once-daily chore of popping the pills and the $100/mo copay expense, I almost forget I have HIV! I feel as healthy as I ever have! I sure wish I could quit smoking as easily as subduing AIDS was for me!

Here's the deal -- Arthur Ashe, the great tennis player, was PRE HIV medicine and Magic Johnson, the great basketball player, was POST HIV medicine. Notice a difference? We tragically lost Arthur and Magic is still kicking A over 10 years later after announcing it to the public with NO signs of slowing down!

Having HIV is NO fun and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy but it is no longer the death sentence it was a few short years ago. No, we don't know the long term effects of taking the meds and yes, they may be toxic with side effects for some folks (I had very few and now none). But I definitely KNOW what happens without them! You DIE! And I kinda prefer the other alternative, but that's just me.

As Jim Morrison of the Doors said, "No one gets out of here alive" and every single person on earth is gonna die, but, personally, I don't mind postponing the inevitable a bit.

I am NOT an advocate of popping a pill for every ill and I even hated taking an aspirin for anything other than the most severe hangovers. But, why anyone would not want the benefit of this miracle medicine is beyond me.

Now, if we can just figure out a way to share these meds with the parts of the world that don't have the choice most of us here have ... tell you what, take the meds and stick around awhile longer and help us figure that out ...

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4497

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3