Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Gay Men

Pages: 1
sergeir
Unregistered

Experience desired
      #67617 - 07/15/03 11:52 PM

Hi Guys, I am a 43 YO Male survivor of NHL, I am overweighed
and my selfsteem is on the floor, I would like to go to the gym and stick to a routine, for me, not for another person, but I always come to the gym's door and I turn my back and go away, I am afraid to be hardly judged because of my weigh, as in the past with an abusive partner, does anyone has a sugestion? Please.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Experience desired new
      #67707 - 07/17/03 06:30 AM

Hi Sergeir,
I also have a problem going to the gym,for reasons similar to your own. But something I found to really help was to find a gym buddy that would come along with me. This also gives you motivation to keep going and also distracts you from what you think is people looking and judging, I also thought this, but realised it was all in my head as most people are jsut there to do their own thing. But if you find this a major problem then find a gym in your area that is less pretentious (as some of them can be) usually the local community ones are good and go in the off peak times if appropriate when less people are around. I dont want that to sound rude, but I do understand what you mean as I went through it also. And once you start seeing results, it will put you on such a high that you will feel so good about the work you are doing and putting in, that you will want to keep going back. Some thing else you might like to consider which is really good, is water aerobics, they have tailored to suit classes, is great for the cardio cascular system, is a lot of fun and also very gentle on the joints. Im sorry that you went through a bad relationship, it does take time to heal and they do often have a negative effect on our self esteem, but remember you are a wonderful person and dont need the permission of an abusive partner to believe it. Good luck my friend.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#67730 - 07/17/03 06:25 PM

Thanks so much for your words, I am doing better now, I will be searching for a support group and the Gym as you suggested me, Your good spirit feels so good in my life.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#67960 - 07/22/03 09:11 AM

Personally, I wouldn't stress to you to lose the weight because I like that kind of thing, BUT since it's what you want to do, go for it. Gyms can be a little stressful, but I agree with the other poster in that most people are simply there to do their own thing. Another option would be to buy your own weight system and work out at home, this way you wouldn't be as self-conscious. But I think that going with a friend to a low-key gym is the best bet for you. You might even meet someone who will treat you right and not be abusive, no one deserves that. You should hold your head high with pride, love. You have seen something that you don't like about yourself and you are working to change it. If more people in this world did that, we would be living in a much happier place. Take care and good luck!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#67962 - 07/22/03 05:13 PM

Thanks for your experience, my principal goal is to increase muscle in my legs and thighs and to decrease my levels of cholesterol, in the other hand it's been hard for me to set boundaries with the guy I used to date, but I am gaining strengh in my decition to stop seen him. Thanks for being there for me.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#67966 - 07/22/03 05:18 PM

If you want to write direcly, please feel free to use my personal e-mail address: sergeir59@yahoo.com Thanks

Anonymous
Unregistered

#70943 - 09/03/03 01:23 AM

Hi friend,

I can't say that I've ever had such an experience like yours and only wish to say something positive that might lift your spirits.

You should really try getting involved in some type of spiritual group. I've done this to aid my major depression disorder and the high dosage of medications I take. I haven't been depressed for nearly a year now. I've never had problems meeting the type of men I'm attracted to though my depression makes me feel undesirable. Looking in the mirror, I find lots of positive traits about myself.

Spiritual groups are great. Mostly because you don't have to be religious in any way and it's a great way of getting in touch with your inner self. I guarantee, that if you want motivation to go into that gym, you'll be doing it within a two weeks minimum. Give it a try. And Good luck. I'll be rooting for you...

Anonymous
Unregistered

#78619 - 11/21/03 10:26 PM

Please contact me at boricuaftl@aol.com
Been Pozitive is a better and good experience. ET.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3403

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3