Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Life >> Gay Men

Pages: 1
Douglas
Unregistered

Trizivir resistance
      #65047 - 05/30/03 01:57 PM

I was diagnosed in Nov. 2000 and started Trizivir immediatly bc of high VL and low CD4. Immediatly there were reluts and eventually became undetectable and stayed that way for over a year. Now my VL has been increasing but no CD4 decrease. Is this an resistance building to Trizivir and does anyone else have this problem?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Trizivir resistance new
      #65048 - 05/30/03 02:13 PM

Douglas - I don't know about whether your virus is becoming resistant. However, if you read several posting on the "Starting Treatment" experts forum on this site, you'll see that a recent study comparing Trizivir alone to Trizivir plus Sustiva was halted in part because the Trizivir-only arm was significantly less effective at maintaining the viral load at undetectable levels. You'll want to address this with your doctor. Here is one of the posts from Dr. Young:

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Starting/Current/Q147368.html

Anonymous
Unregistered

#65049 - 05/30/03 02:28 PM

Douglas - here's another blurb from a May 18, 2003 posting by Dr. Young. I'm including it because it has the name of the study for your doctor to look up:

It would also be relevant to follow the results of the ongoing ACTG clinical trial 5095-- a study that was, in
part prematurely discontinued because of relative under performance of Trizivir compared with
Combivir-efavirenz or Trizivir-efavirenz. This study enrolled a high proportion of persons with very high viral
loads, and we had known for some time that these persons would likely fare less well on Trizivir than on
efavirenz-based therapy. Exactly what this means for persons like you with low initial viral loads is not yet
clear, though this data may very well be presented at this summer's International AIDS Society meeting in
Paris (watch for conference coverage at TheBody).

Hope that helps, Douglas.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#65199 - 06/04/03 07:58 PM

Ask one of the docs a question:

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Starting/

You need to do something asap.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2506

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3