Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Gay Men

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Feeling isolated
      #64966 - 05/25/03 11:01 AM

My name is Joe, and I've been positive since 1993, and have been on meds since about 1996. Over the years since I tested positive, I find that I have more and more isolated myself from friends and family, and don't have any hiv positive friends. Now is a particularly troublesome time as I am having difficulty handling work related stress. I am considering making some big changes in my life, such as selling my home, taking some time off, and trying to find a less stressful job, but I don't have anyone to talk to about these things, and worry about making a bad decision. I am 44, strawberry blond, from the Midwest, but live in SF. Is there anyone out there who would like to talk. I would love to make some hiv positive friends.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Feeling isolated new
      #64981 - 05/26/03 07:21 AM

click me

Anonymous
Unregistered

#64982 - 05/26/03 07:32 AM

Scrambling for security has never brought anyone anything but momentary joy.

As human beings, not only do we seek resolution, but we also feel that we deserve resolution. However, not only do we not deserve resolution, we suffer from the the process of seeking resolution. We don’t deserve resolution; we deserve something better than that. We deserve our birthright, which is the middle way, an open state of mind that can relax with paradox and ambiguity.

The middle way is wide open, but it’s tough going, because it goes against the grain of an ancient neurotic pattern that we all share. When we feel lonely, when we feel hopeless, what we want to do is get away from how we feel. We don’t want to sit and feel what we feel. We don’t want to go through the detox. Yet the middle way encourages us to do just that. It encourages us to awaken the bravery that exists in everyone without exception, including you and me.

Meditation provides a way for us to train in the middle way—in staying right on the spot. We are encouraged not to judge whatever arises in our mind. In fact, we are encouraged not to even grasp whatever arises in our mind. What we usually call good or bad we simply acknowledge as simply us thinking, without all the usual drama that goes along with right and wrong. We are instructed to let the thoughts come and go as if touching a bubble with a feather. This straightforward discipline prepares us to stop struggling and discover a fresh, unbiased state of being.

----
Adapted from Six Kinds of Loneliness a chapter in the book When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times. by Pema Chödrön

Anonymous
Unregistered

#64988 - 05/26/03 07:13 PM

You live in SF and have no hiv+ friends? Try living in rural Oregon. Even here I can find others with similar situation.

One option that has worked well for me, is to get involved with some organization that will give you contact with others for support. It also helps, as it gets you outside of yourself, with an incredible new perspective on things in general. I am about your same age, but have had to live with this for even longer. It accounts for about 1/2 of my life at this point.

Also, watch your meds - although it does wonders for fighting the virus, it can sometimes be hard on energy and outlook. I have to watch myself.

Chin up, think twice before acting.

Cheers.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#64999 - 05/27/03 05:20 PM

Hey Joe:

What's your email address??
You know lots of people would love to help you. I posted my email address here and I got so much support and have formed long term friendships. You can create an annymous email address at hot mail.com or yahoo.

San Francisco has lots of groups --
Drop-In Group for HIV-Positive People and People with AIDS
Meets Mondays from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm at the AHP Services Center, 1930 Market Street, San Francisco. No needs-assessment interview or RSVP required.

Thursdays in May
Join your peers each Thursday 4:30-6:00pm for MHR-ASG's Positive Connections support group for HIV positive guys facilitated by therapist Jerome Braun, MFT. Meets at a downtown San Francisco conference room at Powell & Market. Please call Jerome Braun ASAP to register at (415) 984-0501.
Upcoming June 18th
Join ten of your peers for MGM's next five-week Wednesday Evening Mid-Life Support Group series starting June 18th called "Gay & Bisexual Men Thriving in Mid-life" for both HIV negative and positive guys facilitated by therapist Jerome Braun, MFT. Topics in the series will include: The Landscape of Mid-life; Loss, Isolation, and Depression; Dating & Long-term Relationships; Drugs & Alcohol at Mid-life; Imagining a Conscious Death; Who Am I Now; Being the Role Model & Being the Community; Spirituality & Mid-life. Meets 7:00pm to 8:30pm at a downtown San Francisco conference room at Powell & Market. Attendance at each of the five sessions is essential to receive the full benefits of the series. An additional optional three sessions at the same time and place are available to attendees who wish additional specialized support. No charge, but donations are appreciated. This session is full, but early birds on the standby list might get accepted at the last minute due to cancellations or get priority for the next session. Please call Jerome Braun to register at (415) 984-0501.

There is even a group called Healing waters which offers low cost wildwater boating trips for people with HIV.
http://www.hwaters.org/

HIV+ Support Group for Men in the Vallejo Area
Voice (707) 567-1956
Email WayneSF@sbcglobal.net

A support group HIV-positive men who have sex with men. Meets Wednesdays. Call or write for details.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#65227 - 06/05/03 09:58 AM

HEY GUY I USE TO LIVE IN SF. I NOW LIVE BACK HOME IN VERSAILLES KY. I HAVE BEEN POSITIVE SINCE 1996. I UNDERSTAND HOW YOU FEEL, I FIND MYSELF JUST STAYING BUSY SO I DON'T FEEL THE ISOLATION. I DON'T HAVE ANY OTHER POSITIVE FRIENDS. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO E MAIL MY ADDRESS IS TERRYWITHERS@YAHOO.COM. DROP ME ALINE I'LL GIVE YOU MY PHONE NUMBER. I'M A GOOD LISTNER. I'M EX MILITARY(ARMY) 5'11 BR HAIR BR EYES 170 LBS IN SHAPE GOOD LOOKING AND LONELY. I'M SURROUNDED BY PEOPLE DAILY BUT STILL HAVE A HOLLOW FEELING IN MY SOUL. TERRY

Anonymous
Unregistered

#65498 - 06/11/03 12:17 AM

Hey Joe. Hey I read your message, I could of swore I wrote it. Exactly the way I have been feeling...isolated from friends, family...stressful job and wanting a change. No HIV friends...well, one but we never talk about it with each other. If you want to talk email me at: bcongus@yahoo.com. I'm 31 been pos about 9 years been on meds for 4. Workout 4-5 times a week. Change is hard, I know, I have been hesitant also. Its like feeling trapped.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2911

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3