Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Life >> Gay Men

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

bowel movements
      #61538 - 03/25/03 08:40 AM

Hello, I was recently informed that I am HIV positive. My Tcell count is 615 and viral load is 120,000. I am currentl not taking any meds due to the fact that I am trying to find a doctor that I can trust and feel comfortable with. My question is about soft bowel movements. I rarely have bowel movements that are hard and clean. I have tried taking 1 pepto a day or eating bananas. As you might understand this makes it really difficult for me to have anal sex and feel comfortable that it will be clean. Does anyone have any advise for me.
thanks for the time.
K

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: bowel movements new
      #61601 - 03/26/03 08:48 AM

I had it for six months. It's hard to get rid of. Try this:
also read the stuff: http://www.thebody.com/treat/side_effects.html#understanding

Diarrhea

* Follow the YOBRATS diet:
* Y - Yogurt: low-fat, with live active cultures listed on label: 2-3 cups/day.*

* O - Oatbran: very high source of soluble fiber; better than oatmeal; eat as hot cereal, or use 1-2 tsp. twice daily in diluted juice as fiber supplement.

* B - Bananas: good source of soluble fiber and potassium.

* R - White Rice: lessens water content in small intestine; easily digestible calories/energy; "congee" -- rice porridge, feels like a warm blanket inside.

* A - Applesauce: soluble fiber, easily digestible calories/energy; apples and pears (no skin).

* T - Toast and Tea: white bread, herbal tea only (no caffeine!!).

* S - Soup: weak, bland (no spices), broth-style, warming fluids and sodium to replace fluids.

* If yogurt is not desired or tolerated, take refrigerated supplements of L. acidophilus and/or L. bifidus, "the good bacteria," to nourish and protect basic digestive function. Best known as "the stuff that's in yogurt," L. acidophilus is supported by a century's worth of studies that show how useful it can be in decreasing digestive symptoms, especially diarrhea. No toxicities have been documented, although too large a dose to start may produce diarrhea.

* Begin taking 500 mg calcium carbonate twice a day; if no improvement, push up to 2,000 mg per day. If eating 2-3 cups yogurt or dairy per day, do not exceed 1,000 mg daily.
* Consider using digestive/pancreatic enzymes with every meal; the type covered by prescription is porcine-derived and not suitable for Muslims or people following kosher or vegetarian diets. Vegetarian formulas are available at health food stores.
* Dilute all juice and Gatorade-type drinks. Avoid caffeine.
* For long term, chronic diarrhea, also:
* Maintain protein intake by eating plain chicken, fish, low-fat meats, soy-based foods, low-fat dairy products, whey protein powder.
* Use glutamine protein powder, 10-30 grams daily, to help repair the intestinal lining.
* Other supplements may be helpful: Shaman Botanicals NB Stool Formula.
* Drink only specialized, low-fat nutrition supplements for calories and to maintain weight. Avoid regular or "plus" products like Ensure, Boost, Resource.
* Supplement with extra zinc (50 mg daily).

deliri-us
Unregistered

#62455 - 04/02/03 12:56 AM

Hi my friend,
I know your dilema. I'm glad you are considering your pleasures even as you recently discover your illness. Sometimes you can be experiencing fear. This has caused me to have loose bowels. Fear can produce sickness and disease. But the opposite,which I think is faith, can possibly create a sense of calm and security. Maybe when you get the expert medical advice your looking for you can establish confidence in your care. And thus believing you could eliminate your condition of fear. Good luck.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#64446 - 04/29/03 02:46 AM

yes my other half had the same prob and the best way to fix it and your going to think its crazy but many doc's told us to take malox or rolaids anything with calcium not milk it doesn't work that way hope this helps iam sure it will get you not going just be carefull not to over do it it will do the opisites

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2356

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3