Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Gay Men

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sleep problems.
      #58019 - 02/11/03 12:51 PM

I'm a bit frustrated. Make that VERY frustrated. I've known about my HIV status for 16 years and my t-cells dipped to 60. My condition has significantly improved since the advent of protease inhibitors. I'm on AZT, Crixivan and Epivir.

I've had problems sleeping for over ten years now. I was prescribed Xanax and became addicted to it. Withdrawal was difficult. I've now been on nightly Ambien for 1 1/2 years and am now addicted to 10 mg. per night. I can't sleep without it. I can't even nap. I'm afraid of stopping it, even though it's not working as effectively anymore. I started adding a benedryl which helps me sleep better. Unfortunately, I'm exhausted, weak, mentally confused and my quality of life has gone downhill.

Any suggestions to ease withdrawal from Ambien? How will I sleep if I stop the drug? My initial insomnia started when my viral load was high and I started on Epivir. I've heard that Epivir can cause insomnia. I would love to know the cause of my insomnia and how I might treat it without getting addicted to a sleep medication.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Sleep problems. new
      #58297 - 02/13/03 11:11 AM

I too am on epivir.But i take it 300mg in the morning with b'fast.I was on restorilfor 3years I kicked the habit overnight by replacing it with 3mg of melatonin.I take it 45mnts prior going to bed and it works.Good luck

shadow
Regular

Reged: 04/12/02
Loc: Ohio
      #58907 - 02/17/03 03:42 AM

I suffer from insomnia too. I'm sorry to say I don't know how to ease withdrawal, but have you ever thought about trying a sleep disorder clinic? I think i'm going to try and find one myself.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#59210 - 02/19/03 05:08 PM

I tried a sleep center and had an overnight sleep study. I think they were looking for sleep apnea. Unfortunately there was a fire drill that night at the hospital. Floor by floor. Over and over. Another patient got fed up and left. They told me that they had gotten enough data to read on me. They found nothing.

roberto0821@aol
Unregistered

#60575 - 03/12/03 09:38 PM

I have suffered from lack of sleep since I was diagnoised with Aids. For 2 years they tried every form of sleeping pills. Then the doctor's decided it must be psychogical so i was given many different anti-depressants. I looked up each pill i was given and knew what i was taking. I stoppeed seeing some dr.'s because all they were doing was throughing pill at me . Sometimes they gave me anti-depressant pills and told me they were sleeping pills. I finally went to a neurogolist after 3 M.R.I.'S an M.R.A. and countless other tests. She finally said lets try a sleep study. I had two sleep studies done. It showed that for a total sleep of 309 minutes I stopped breathing 242 times. I never fully went to sleep. Though this sounds like bad news (which it is) the Dr. stated this was definetly a physical condition. I urge you to have a sleep study done. I feel like going back and telling off some of my Dr. all they wanted to do was throw pills at me. I now sleep with a breathing mask I wake up refreshed. I still get tired and nod out.( no...I do not do Herion I know nodding out is a term that is used by people who do herion but it is the only was I can explain the feeling the Dr. told me I should show sings of improvement in about 2 months. I have only been using it about 1 month. Also some of the h.i.v. meds cause you to lose sleep. Good Luck

roberto0821@aol
Unregistered

#60576 - 03/12/03 09:42 PM

I also was on 20mg. Ambien and 62mg.Remeron each night. I still was not sleeping properly. I am nopw down to 10mg. Ambien. The mask helps.

BabyPeanut
Fanatic

Reged: 09/25/02
      #62020 - 03/30/03 04:14 PM

I use only 2 mg of melatonin, the kind where you hold the pill under your tongue until it disolves (called "sublingual".) I also use between 500mg to 1000mg of GABA which is also over-the-counter without prescription. I take both of those when I have gotten into bed for the night.

Not eating much after 7:00 PM helps too. I find it harder to sleep on a full stomach.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3913

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3