HIV Life >> Gay Men

Pages: 1
Jeff McConnell
Unregistered

Is HIV re-infection possible?
      #39897 - 09/12/02 02:05 PM

The Positive Partners Superinfection Study

Positive Partners Superinfection Study
This study is looking to answer some questions that many positive people have been wondering about for some time, and as of yet the medical world has not been able to answer. It is a very exciting study to be a
part of. Below is some information about the study and are currently recruiting, and if you or anyone you
know is interesting in participating or you just want some more information, feel free to give me a call.

Is HIV re-infection real?
Can drug-resistant HIV be transmitted to someone already HIV positive?
With your help the Positive Partners Study will find out!
Robert M. Grant, MD, MPH - Principal Investigator
Jeff McConnell, MA - Project Director

The Positive Partners Study will examine the possibility that someone already living with HIV could be infected with another strain of HIV. This is called superinfection or re-infection. Positive Partners hopes
to find out whether superinfection really happens and, if so, whether it makes a difference in people's
struggle with HIV. The results will help people living with HIV to make more informed decisions about
their treatment and sexual behavior. Positive Partners is looking for couples living with HIV.

Both partners must be:
HIV Positive, taking HIV medications (antiretroviral drugs) or on STI, at least 18 years old, and Involved
in a sexual relationship with each other.

Positive Partners who enroll in this study will:
Participate in two confidential one-on-one interviews over the next year, provide blood and (males only) semen samples, and earn $25 each per visit; get free, state-of-the-art testing to monitor drug-resistance twice during the year (genotyping), T-cell count, viral load, and CBC (complete blood count).

Positive Partners is a collaborative study conducted by the Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology and the Center for AIDS Prevention Studies (CAPS) at the University of California, San Francisco.

If you would like to participate or get more information call Positive Partners at (415) 476-9296 ext. 359 or
e-mail jmcconnell@psg.ucsf.edu

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: thats a bullshi... study new
      #39917 - 09/12/02 07:49 PM

I heard about it. It out to make money off of hiv positive people. WARNING!

Anonymous
Unregistered

Superinfection new
      #39963 - 09/13/02 12:52 PM

There is nothing wrong with this study. No one is trying to rip off anyone. Dr. Bruce Walker has recently found one case of superinfection--someone already infected who through unprotected sex with someone else positive got another strain. So there are lots of studies concerning this.
The people who say this is not a worthwhile study know not of what they speak...nor do they give intelligible reasons...

Braindead
Unregistered

Re: Superdupper virus new
      #39991 - 09/13/02 08:05 PM

Oh boy this virus is sooo smart. It proablly haggin out wit Bin Laden in a cave and chillin!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#40002 - 09/14/02 01:03 AM

Super-infection and re-infection? There is so much theory about this disease that is being reported as fact by the scientific community that makes it all the more confusing. I don't feel that one isolated case, that so far is a "maybe" justifies all of this new AIDS and HIV panic that will happen all over again. The prejudice and stero types that followed when h.i.v. was realized will be reborn again just when the general (straight) public stopped panicing over how to catch it. I guess super infection is the new media buzzword to sell more papers, and the scientific community's new attention getter to see who goes down in the history books.
Super-infection? maybe. Fact? not yet, so let's not treat it as such.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks! new
      #40011 - 09/14/02 04:45 AM

I was going to look further into this but now forget it. Do not want to get involved if it is shady.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#40160 - 09/16/02 08:41 PM

I think that the point is being missed - that is "superinfection" is being used to describe the situation that occurs when ANY virus or bacteria become multi-drug resistant, which generally make the virus/bacterium more "catchable" due to it's resistance to the body defenses and various treatments. It is precisely the opposite of what happens with most flu/cold virus', which mutate into obscurity, where although they exist, are no longer viable as a disease causing agent. But, if you look at history, there have been several strains that evaded the body's immune system and killed hundreds of thousand of people before it finally mutated to a non-disease form. A natural form of eugenics.

It is not at all a new theory, but an established fact of science and medicine. Just a theory? I wish.

shadow
Regular

Reged: 04/12/02
Loc: Ohio
      #40270 - 09/17/02 10:34 PM

If medical researchers find a cure for hiv and aids then re-infection wouldn't be an issue to begin with. I'm beginning to wonder that a cure is no longer a priority, but catering to the "needs" of pharmacutical companies for over priced drugs that merely slow the disease has become the top priority. Look at all of the years of cancer research. If every cancer researcher in the world shared their findings and research and worked as a team they more than likely would have a cure, but that will never happen because of money, and the battle of who's going down in history for the cure. Let's face it, a cure for hiv or cancer won't happen in our lifetimes, there would be to much monies lost due to less drug treatments.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: West Nile and HIV new
      #40303 - 09/18/02 12:00 PM

I haerd that West aNile and HIv might be a new form of cross breed virus subtype that could infect us on CNN. Also read it in Time.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: West Nile and HIV new
      #40625 - 09/23/02 02:35 PM

Isn't it funny that HIV and the West Nile virus only affect people with other health issues going on? No one actaully ever dies of the virus itself, they die of the other diseases going on, but choose to blame the innocent "passenger viruses".

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4304

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3