Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Gay Men

Pages: 1
trnyack

Reged: 03/07/02
Wasting
      #29525 - 03/07/02 04:27 PM

I was first diagnosed in May of 2001 when My Vl was 750,000 and my cd4 was 42m, since then I have been taking a cocktail of Viracept, Epivir, Zerit, and Bactrim, My weight has dropped from around 160 lbs to just over 120, I am nioticing veins bulging out everywhere and My doctor tells me I need to put some weight back on, and I have to avoid cholesterol, as My triglycerides are quite high, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can respect both of my doctor's wishes. Please write back to me and let me know.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gregg629
Guardian

Reged: 04/16/01
Loc: Boston
Re: Wasting new
      #29529 - 03/07/02 04:31 PM

One way that comes to mind is working out. I have no idea from your post how physical you are, but working out daily does wonders for you. Muscle weighs more then fat so you can keep a similar size and increase weight. Also working out makes you more hungry and encourages your body to take in more food. Eating healthy is also a major part of this.

I hope this helps some

Gregg

kl85
Regular

Reged: 08/29/01
Loc: Oregon, USA
      #29545 - 03/07/02 08:36 PM

My suggestion to your situation is the same as gregg's - exercise. I have also added alpha lipoic acid and a precourser growth hormone called Priority 15. The combination helps with weight gain/control and energy. Alpha lipoic acid is available at your health food store and Priority 15 (pre-growth hormone) at www.priorityonevitamins.com . These seem to help me with energy to be able to exercise, and alpha lipoic acid is beneficial for immune health, neuropathy, and in food utilization. There are links to information on alpha lipoic acid on the Body's website and information on Priority 15 is available from the manufacturer.

I thought that the Priority 15 was probably just snake oil, but tried it anyway, as I was getting run down by the meds. But I have been impressed, even though I haven't taken it for more than 2 months at a time, here and there. Its benefit seems to last for a while. It runs about $80.00 a month, incl. shipping. Just something to consider.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#29565 - 03/08/02 10:13 AM

DO NOT take a drug holiday with a CD-4 count of 42. The person that suggested that is an idiot. You will find that gaining weight back takes awhile, but if you exercise and eat balanced meals it will come back. Try to gain it back slowly so you don't develop large fat pockets in area you don't want, nice and even.

My partner has been HIV pos since 1982, started HAART in 1996. CD-4 count up from 50 to over 200 and he's very well today. Most of the people we know that have died since HAART have died because of a combination of Aids and Hep. The HAART drugs are hard on the liver and people with Hep. start out behind the eight ball.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#29577 - 03/08/02 01:02 PM

did your CD4 count go up after you began the meds?

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3350

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3