#270421 - 01/30/13 07:57 AM

Post deleted by ndcowboy

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: Disability new
      #270430 - 01/30/13 04:45 PM

Disability is for people who have a condition or conditions that prevent them from being able to do even simple tasks such as shop without the aide of someone else. (Needing a ride doesn't count). The condition(s) need to be severe enough that a dr thinks that they overtly affect your quality of life and that by having a job may do more harm than good.

Are there people on it that shouldn't be? Probably, but HIV alone isn't considered as a disability until it overtly affects your health to the point you need care from an outside source. The rule of thumb is if you have to ask if you qualify you don't.

But talk to your dr (you're gonna have have them sign off on forms anyway) to see if they believe being on disability is an option for you. They would be your best source. Then if they think you should hire an attorney who will help you file a claim. They don't get paid till you win and they are only allowed up to 33% (norm is 25%) of whatever you get in back payments from the time the claim was filed till you are awarded disability. If you don't win they get nothing. So it's a win win no matter what.

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #270488 - 02/03/13 12:47 PM

Disability requirements are also based on how low ones t-cells in addition to multiple opportunistic infections. It will take up to 3 years from the beginning of processing. And you will be denied at first . But you just keep pushing. Also being disabled does not me you can't work , but that there are conditions that prevent you from working to full capasity. I've been on and off SSD for 17 years now and I work within the guidlines which is really about all my body can take anyway. I'ma firm believer if one can work then one should. Even if it's oly part time.

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

iam1
Fanatic

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
      #270589 - 02/12/13 12:19 AM

Social Security Disability is abbreviated SSDI. SSI is regular Social Security payments. You have to have worked in order to collect SSDI. The amount you'll collect will be based on past earning history. SSDI is generally more then SSI.

I got started on disability back in 1999. I had been HIV+ for several years but hadn't started treatment. Came home to my parents. The doctors who sent me home thought it was to die. I tell people I was too stupid to die.

The disability process was started either in the hospital or a few weeks after I got out at my first appointment at the HIV clinic. When I was in the hospital I had a VL > 1,000,000 and a CD4 count < 20. I do NOT recommend anybody going this route!!! I was approved immediately as the people in the Social Security office didn't expect me to live long, either.

Since then my VL has been undetectable for several years. Once my CD4 went back up it's stayed up. (That took a few years.#

I do work. Parttime. 3 days a week. The nice people at Social Security review the disability status of everybody who receives it. It is possible that you can be aproved and then get the letter telling you that you're no longer disabled. There have been a couple people here where I live to have this happen to them.

I, unfortunately, have extenuating circumstances. While I'm not disabled by my HIV any longer I have other issues #not life threatening) that may be a result of having had HIV for so long or not having had my HIV treated until it become a dire problem. I received my letter from Social Security last year telling me they were going to continue paying me disability.

Check with your case worked if your interested in finding out about getting onto disability. See if there's a free legal service that assists HIV+ people in your area. if there is get them to help. AVOID the lawyers who advertise that they can get you disability.

There are many rules and regulations with disability. Far too many to go into here. Again, you should speak with a case worker.

As for most people being on it I have to strongly disagree. There are those of us on SSDI for a reason. But, you'll find that most people only receive SSI. A smaller monthly check.

Personally, I'd recommend working as long as you can. You might feel tired. But, you've got to learn whether that's a result of being HIV+ or just a result of living. I went for years between starting SSDI and going back to work. I am SO glad I'm back working!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3399

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3