Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Life >> Gay Men

Pages: 1
BabyFirefly

Reged: 09/28/12
Loc: Florida, United States
Swelling And 'Excuses'
      #268170 - 10/16/12 01:56 AM

So I've had some swelling for a while now and I've heard/been told that part of HIV symptoms = swelling of glands/lymph nodes. Do you guys have any suggestions when it comes to telling people what is causing the swelling?
I really don't want to tell ALL of my friends about this 'little' ailment even though I trust the majority of them not to tell anyone. Pretty much, I just need some 'excuses' for swelling and things and what I should tell people if they ask where that came from WITHOUT having to tell them that yes, I'm indeed HIV +.

Also, I started Atripla about one month ago and the swelling has went down a bit but its still pretty noticeable. Does anyone know when it will be down completely, if it will be? I'm pretty sure my primary physician will tell me in a week when I see him again but I sort of...don't want to wait that long for some kind of statement, reassurance, etc. :P

Hopefully this is not a stupid question or a topic made in the wrong section or whatever. Anything helpful would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: Swelling And 'Excuses' new
      #268185 - 10/16/12 12:00 PM

If the swelling is really that noticeable it's probably just in the neck region. I would say that you had a sinus infection that spread to your lymph nodes and that you are being treated for it. That or an abscessed tooth. Both of which causes your lymph nodes to swell if it spreads to them.

But you would be surprised how little people notice things like that. I think it's more a self image thing. Not saying they aren't indeed swollen and visibly swollen just that most people wouldn't know the difference. Unless its goiter or mumps swollen. Kinda like a zit you think it's huge and everyone else barely notices it.

That said you shouldn't have them much longer. Mine disappeared by the second-third month of treatment. I pretty much saw them as being really noticeable but everyone I asked I had to actually show them where I was talking about for them to even notice.

BabyFirefly

Reged: 09/28/12
Loc: Florida, United States
      #268354 - 10/19/12 07:06 PM

Thanks for that.
Its a relief knowing it'll probably be down in the next month or two. I'll definitely take that advice, telling them its a tooth issue (alot of my friends already know I have an upcoming dental surgery anyway, so that'd fit with that).

oksikoko

Reged: 02/26/13
Loc: NYC
      #270795 - 02/26/13 02:02 AM

Mumps. Just say mumps. Often we worry about these things more than we need to, though. It may not be as noticeable to other people as it is to you.

I never had that happen, though. Good luck, man!

--------------------
I'm sorry. I can't hear you over this popcorn.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2157

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3