Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Gay Men

Pages: 1
gus
Unregistered

panic attacks anyone?
      #2653 - 04/05/00 11:07 AM

Hi,

Have been living with this virus for15 years and am still on no anti-virals - Ts at 250,
Viral Load at 8000. Am, however, fighting chronic health problems (throat, tonsils) of
late and docs are beginning to talk about anti-viral treatments. Don't know what to do.
Can anyone offer any advice about a long-term survivor and the decision to go on
treatments.

Have also just discovered Panic Attacks. [censored], are they scarey. Am sure I am dying when
I have them. Does any one have any information on these things? They really scare the
[censored] out of me and last night, I was certain I was dying. No, not a drama queen turn, but
real terror.

Please help me out if you can. Thanks so much. Gus

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
david
Unregistered

Re: panic attacks anyone? new
      #2654 - 04/05/00 11:08 AM

Gus:

A number of my clients report the development of panic attacks. They are truly terrifying
for some people, so your thoughts that you were really dying are not unusual.

They can be controlled with medication and therapy. Are you in counseling at this time? If
not, I'd recommend it. A good anxiety med will help you, too.

Panic attacks are like asthma attacks in a way: Your state of mind and your ability to
calm yourself through them will have a great effect on your stopping them altogether.

Good luck,

David

dscott
Unregistered

#2655 - 04/05/00 11:08 AM

A little about my situation: I was diagnosed with AIDS in April 1997. I had not had an
HIV test prior out of fear. I simply didn't want to know, although I had suspected that I
was HIV as far back as 1986. When I was diagnosed, my CD4 count was 44 and my
viral load was just under 1/2 million (four hundred and ninety some odd thousand). I was
devistated. I felt that my life was over. I went through severe depression and panic
attacks were a constant part of my life for weeks. On May 15th 1997, I began
combination therapy. 7 weeks later, my CD4 count had risen to 92 and my viral load
was undetectable (tests at the time could measure down to 500 copies).
I have been fortunate in that I have had absolutely no side effects from the medications.
Within three weeks of starting the meds, my energy level went through the roof. Everyone
who kew me and my situation were amazed. The depression left, and the panic attacks
stopped. My zest for life was incredible. (I even re-introduced myself to my doctor,
telling her that she had not met the real me until that day). I have remained on the meds
since that date, with no side effects. Today, 20 months later, my CD4 has risen to 156
and my viral load remains undetectable. (Tests now can detect down to 25 copies).

I think the thing that helped me the most, was surrounding myself with those people who
were very supportive to me. I went to a counselor one time, but it was determined that I
really was in no need for counseling. My friends and family had met that need.

My doctor is quite amazed with my response to the treatments. She has a theory that my
response is due to not having any prior exposure to the medications. I told here that I felt
it was actually a combination of things: not being exposed to the meds, being born with an
extremely strong immune system, not missing but one dose of medication since starting,
and probably most important, having achieved total personal happiness and getting my
priorities in order.

I wish you good luck in whatever decision you make. E-mail me if you wish:
X083060@aol.com.

craig
Unregistered

#2656 - 04/05/00 11:09 AM

Gus,
I also experienced those panic attacks a number of years ago..Talk to your doctor and
ask him/her for a prescription for Xanax. You have to be careful with this drug because it
can be addictive, but used properly,it will help you a lot to calm those attacks when they
rise up.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3233

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3