Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Starboy
Regular

Reged: 12/09/04
Loc: New York
Re: HIV Stigma new
      #260356 - 01/18/12 06:51 PM

Hi:
I would not feel jealous of her being able to publicly disclose her conditiion. She needs your comfort as much as you need hers. Its just unfortunite that we have the HIV stigmatism. I feel for your concerns as I am poz as well and also would love to have a supportive family on my side.

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #260357 - 01/18/12 07:03 PM

Remember that being Hiv is just a chronic condition , One cannot say the same about cancer, Let her have all the attention, the helping support. Believe me she needs it more than your ego. I know that sounds harsh but if you really look within yourself you'll realize that it's foolish ego that has you upset . The stigma is really secondary to your ego. Just love your wife with great support, you'll be glad you did. May I ask what kind of cancer? My sister has gone through double mastectomys and my nieces new step daughter has cancer spreading on her 10 year old face as its being cut away piece by piece. Count your blessings my friend.

GinaBright

Reged: 01/19/12
Loc: VA
      #260376 - 01/19/12 08:07 AM

I have witnessed many people with HIV and AIDS suffer silently with their diagnosis. I am a nurse who has cared for people with AIDS since the mid-1980s.

I wrote a book that focuses solely on discrimination against people with AIDS. I want people with and without the disease to understand what your community has endured. Plague-Making and the AIDS Epidemic: A Story of Discrimination will be released on February 28 and I hope it helps you to understand why you feel so "socially unacceptable" and how people in America can overturn this despicable treatment of people living with HIV.

njpozdad
Regular

Reged: 01/26/11
Loc: New Jersey, USA
      #260377 - 01/19/12 08:07 AM

Renal cell carcinoma

njpozdad
Regular

Reged: 01/26/11
Loc: New Jersey, USA
      #260378 - 01/19/12 08:09 AM

Thanks Starboy.......it's a mixed bag with support...some are very compassionate and some aren't....I am very supportive of her.....

notinterested
All Star

Reged: 09/07/11
      #260415 - 01/19/12 11:16 PM

I agree with you that HIV is far less serious of a condition than cancer but I also agree with the original poster and his feelings. I had the same feelings as the original poster. I also didnít think it was fair that those with cancer have many different support groups and options available for support and I had very, very limited options just being diagnosed with HIV. When first diagnosed, I had several serious anxiety attacks and was literally screaming in pain on the inside, yet I knew I couldnít tell anyone but a few people. There were no get well cards or flowers or thoughtful and loving phone calls from relatives to check on me. There was nothing and that my friend is NOT FAIR. I donít see it as one is more serious than the other so therefore that one deserves more. I see it as both can be very devastating to those who are faced with a difficult and stressful health situation and therefore both should have many various support systems available to those who are affected by their health condition. People with HIV should be able to say, hey I just found out I have HIV, I need support and love and words of encourage and sadly thatís not the case for most of us. People with cancer donít have that same problem in my opinion. Both deserve the same options

riverprincessModerator

#260451 - 01/21/12 01:02 PM

It use to be like that when cancer was first " discovered" .and becoming out in the open , say 75 years ago. People wouldn't go to someones house that had " it". So just give Hiv time, and it will have plenty of time, and it will be viewed the same. My neighbor , who has sever parkinsons, lost all her friends as her illness progressed. People are unconfortable being around sicknesses. Makes then think of they're own immortality. I agree it's not right . But there is alot in this world that isn't right. But you have a choice, either focus on the negativity or find the inner possitiveness within yourself.

riverprincessModerator

#260452 - 01/21/12 01:08 PM

I hope and pray all goes well for her. My nieces little step-daughter approx. 10 years old had a malagnant tumor removed from yur nasal cavity and part of her orbital bone. It continues to spread as they continue to remove more and more of her facial features. When people stare she just gives a big smile and waves. Tough little cookie, yet I am sooo afraid for her. She'll be heading to St. Judes hospital very soon.

riverprincessModerator

#260478 - 01/22/12 10:58 AM

I find that all long as thre are humans there will always be some sort of stigma that pops up every now and then. There are still some dentists that will refuse to treat you as a patient if you say your Hiv. I HAD a orthopedist that was afraid to give me a shot, and when she did touch me she was quick to wash her hands. Last time I saw her she said there was nothing they could do for me. You know , one could get really angry at that , but hubby and I just decided that it was a choice they made for themselves and we wouldn't want to be treated someone like that anyway. Sometimes you just got to pick your battles.

riverprincessModerator

#260479 - 01/22/12 11:00 AM

Will be looking forward to seeing that book published. Will you please tell us where we can get a copy. ?

GinaBright

#260489 - 01/22/12 05:21 PM

The book is available on Amazon.com. Hopefully, it will make it into some book stores. I apologize for the price of it upfront. It was out of my control that the publisher decided to market it as a scholarly book, which means a higher price for the public and very low royalties for me. But I did not write the book for profit, rather this story of continual discrimination for merely carrying a virus needed to be told.

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/11
Loc: Thailand
      #260494 - 01/22/12 07:47 PM

I hope it will come out on Kindle eventually so I can get it over here.

I was curious, does it talk about the "anti-HIV" laws that you see in some countries like Taiwan, China, Oman, etc., that basically makes even having it illegal?

Cheers!

GinaBright

Re: HIV Stigma
      #260503 - 01/23/12 07:55 AM

Hi Pos in Thailand,
I hope it comes out on Kindle, as well. I do talk about the ban on HIV positive travellers to the US for decades and how knowingly transmitting HIV in several U.S. states is a felony. I view all of these discrimnatory laws stemming from the long held U.S. view that AIDS is a plague. Throughout the book, I argue that viewing any disease as a plague, especially AIDS, results in discrimination for those who carry it.
Thank you for your interest!

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/11
Loc: Thailand
Re: HIV Stigma
      #260508 - 01/23/12 09:35 AM

The way many Asian and Arab nations view this disease is really horrific. People who are found to be positive can be and are jailed, treated terribly even if they have been responsible and have put no one at risk. In many countries it's a crime to be positive, regardless of how you got it and what your behavior is. Employers can mandate testing at any time and fire you if you are found positive, and often turn you over to the authorities for persecution. In Taiwan, you are not allowed to work if you are positive, and other nations have similar laws.

My world suddenly got much smaller after this diagnosis....

Thank you for your work and effort in raising awareness about this. Doesn't a song say something about waiting for the world to change...?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6620

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threadsô 6.2.3