Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Life >> Gay Men

Pages: 1
kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Serodiscordant Relationship Issue/Question
      #254422 - 02/18/11 04:06 AM

I am the positive partner in a Serodiscordant relationship. We have friends who are both positive and in a relationship, but none that are +/-. I am also newly diagnosed. I found out in Oct 2010. Im on medication and so far so good....well at least as far as the labs go. The meds are another story, but I take them daily as prescribed.

He really doesn't know how to talk to me about being positive, bless his heart he see's me for me and not as a person with HIV. It doesn't even factor into the equation for him. Yet there lies the problem, it doesn't so talking to him about it is awkward and unproductive. I mean we are safe when we are in the bedroom (which has been a struggle for me cause it reminds me that I am HIV+ and I don't want to infect him) He isn't unsupportive, but his views are a little to optimistic for me at the moment.

Anyway I was hoping that maybe by some chance there may be other couples that are in a serodiscordant relationship that may be interested in chatting or sharing what they have learned along the way. Things like how to get over the whole bedroom thing, what stresses to look out for that are unique to a +/- relationship, ways of approaching the subject of having HIV with each other, etc.

We have a pretty open and honest relationship and we both are striving to make our lives better together and we share alot of things in common as far as fears, hopes, and dreams. So we have a pretty solid relationship. (This is a best friend turned boy friend senerio so we have had years of growing together.) Anyway hope to hear from someone soon, it would be great to be able to talk to others in the same boat.

Thanks

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
vbd1966
Regular

Reged: 05/20/10
Re: Serodiscordant Relationship Issue/Question new
      #254429 - 02/18/11 04:28 PM

Hi Kicker, my other half and I are +/-. I was diagnosed last spring, started Atripla in September 2010 and am now showing undetectable VL as of December. My next round of tests is in a few weeks.

We've been together for 12 years. In the bedroom, the last time we actually attempted anything was before I started the meds. I just didn't want to risk infecting him and honestly, we've just fallen into a routine where sex isn't much part of our relationship, but it's something we're trying to work on. He doesn't talk to me about it, and I don't talk to anyone about it.

njpozdad
Regular

Reged: 01/26/11
Loc: New Jersey, USA
      #254775 - 03/12/11 02:05 AM

Kicker, you wee so kind to me in my "unhappy with my life" post that I have to say I am hoping you and your partner work on the +/- issues you have........my thoughts and support are there for you....the guy I met (mentioned in my post) is also hiv+ so we have different issues than you do but they all boil down to communication......talk honestly about what you feel and it will all work out.......

kicker

#254783 - 03/12/11 11:39 PM

NJPOZDAD, since this post things have gotten better on the communication front. Only took a few shit fits, lol. But thank you for your concern and support. How are you doing with your stuff? Kind of interested to see you turn things around for the better. Feel free to private message me anytime.

vagab0nd

Reged: 12/07/10
      #254788 - 03/13/11 10:01 AM

Hi Kicker
I'm the poz partner in a +/- and it's been working quite well so far. I was diagnosed two weeks after I met him. Just started meds this week. We've been together 6 months and, apart from the romance, we truly enjoy friendship with each other. We have been safe and hope to stay that way. It's great to hear that you have such a good friendship with your partner.

kicker

#254791 - 03/13/11 02:38 PM

Vagab0nd, what meds did you start? I'm on atripla. Feel free to contact me anytime. I'm interested in how others are doing in this situation. We know of other positive couples, but none that are +/- in our area, so it's kind of uncharted territory, though it's been getting easier for me not to see the HIV everyday, which has helped to make the relationship a little less strained.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2430

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3