Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Gay Men

Pages: 1
dkny

Reged: 04/12/09
Gay HIV+ Man in NYC looking 4 Friends
      #245533 - 04/26/09 08:34 AM

Diagnosed over a year ago and doing well. Friends have been very accepting and supportive but cannot understand what I'm feeling. Would be nice to meet other hiv+ men in NYC or anywhere for friendship, advice, chat etc. Email, IM buddies would be great.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rm8471

Reged: 04/13/09
Loc: United States
Re: Gay HIV+ Man in NYC looking 4 Friends new
      #245557 - 04/27/09 07:50 PM

Well, you'll meet plenty of us here.

Funny, I am very rural. Like, my town just went from 3 to 5 stop lights, and got a KFC and a Subway restaurant - recently. Our hospital is 80-beds, okay?

Not a major metropolis.

The biggest "major" city "near" me is Myrtle Beach, which is about an hour away.

That all said, my experience was that my straight friends, and family, were supportive, but my gay friends were not supportive, and I found support groups, at the time, to be trying and well...morbid.

My first HIV caseworker couldn't understand at all. His reaction to my stating I felt like my future was wiped away, a blank gray slate, was a very snarled terse "None of us know our future!"

Of course, I knew that, and promptly told him so. I added that unless I missed my mark, he was not positive and did not know what it felt like to be in my shoes.

He admitted he was not.

I left that A.S.O. and went to one further away, in another county, where I got a great caseworker, whom I've had for years now.

However, I have not re-engaged in a support group, after that experience.

Here's what puzzles me.

I have always assumed that HIV poz folks in NYC and ATL and places like that, major metropolises, would have a lot more options for support groups and such, than I have!

I even thought about moving to ATL once, but decided against it.

Please know that people truly are here for you.

JonAlan

Reged: 04/23/09
Loc: Louisiana
Re: Gay HIV+ Man in NYC looking 4 Friends new
      #245563 - 04/28/09 02:44 AM

Would love to chat or talk with ya sometime man - as a friend and long time survivor - poz over 10 years and in a very loving "magnetic" relationship with a negative guy.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3794

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3