Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Life >> Gay Men

Pages: 1
aliveinla

Reged: 02/07/08
HIV and International travel
      #236501 - 02/11/08 07:25 PM

Only 3 times unprotected sex with one guy who swore to be neg last March got me HIV poz diagnose 1/22/08. To make things worse, I am a Chinese citizen and I have to travel often across borders. Thank god I've received my green card couple years ago so no worry there. I haven't started meds yet at doc's suggestion, so I won't bring meds across borders but eventually I guess i will have to. I guess I need to expedite my process to become US citizen. Before that, questions to other poz friends on this board who also travel internationally: how close does the US customs check bags for HIV meds? Or any other country? I never had any experience bringing any drugs (other than fish oil) across borders so I am really scared. I believe US doesn't force people to do HIV test at the border, right? Any helpful info would be appreciated. Please give me a hug also if you can... You guys' posts on here have cheered me up greatly, and I am not suicidal any more, but now this international travel problem is really bothering me...

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
oldwoman
Guardian

Reged: 05/12/07
Loc: Phila,Pa
Re: HIV and International travel new
      #236571 - 02/13/08 02:24 PM

Well I don't know anything about international travel and I'm obviously not a gay man(look at my name)but please promise to come here for support anytime you start feeling suicidal again.You can send me a private message or e mail me at keepingpositive.com.Do you have any support?I know it's so hard to accept the diagnosis and feel like your life is ending but believe me you will go on and feel better in time
{{{{big hug}}}}

aliveinla

#236578 - 02/13/08 07:07 PM

Thank you lady! Hugs to you too. keepingpositive.com? It seems to be an unused URL. I am in LA, yeah, I have been researching to find a suitable Gay poz group to join; meanwhile, I have been talking to the former HR manager of my company, a cute black gay guy that I had a crush on, who was fired from work a few months ago and told me he had been poz for 18 years. He has been a great help and eye opener for me to realize HIV poz can still possibly have a quality life with normal life span. Of course all the info and buddies on this site help me a lot too. Let's all pray for a cure so that we don't worry about taking meds everyday...

RidATroll
Regular

Reged: 01/30/08
      #236642 - 02/15/08 11:05 PM

I'm sorry, but the only one that got you HIV+ was yourself. You were as much responsible for you health as anyone. All it would have taken was for you to use a condom.

Leonardo
Guru

Reged: 08/07/07
Loc: New Jersey
      #236649 - 02/16/08 05:24 AM

RidATroll,

It doesn't seem like Alive is blaming anyone else but was just pointing out how he was infected. Each of us is responsible for his own behavior , so I fail to see the "support" in pointing how he could have avoided infection at this stage of the game.

Leo

RidATroll
Regular

Reged: 01/30/08
      #236659 - 02/16/08 01:37 PM

Only 3 times unprotected sex with one guy who swore to be neg last March got me HIV poz diagnose 1/22/08.

Leonardo, no where does he say that he made a mistake. I fail to see where this is an HIV forum for support. If he wants support, there are two other forums. Living With and I Just Tested positive. The topic hence, is international travel of which you offered no support on the topic. You didn't advise him to seek an attorney or did you advise him that he could go to the State Department or any ASO for further help with his questions.

Leonardo
Guru

Reged: 08/07/07
Loc: New Jersey
      #236663 - 02/16/08 07:17 PM

I also didn't criticize him.

aliveinla

#236741 - 02/18/08 10:55 PM

I actually found answers to my question from another forum and my lawyer. Not sure anybody else will need this info though, but here it is: Going to China is no big deal now that China is hosting Olympics, they are easing the HIV ban, and possibly (not yet) will remove the HIV travel ban. As to the US, I am pretty sure next president is going to be a democratic and this stupid travel ban should be lifted in no time...

aliveinla

#236742 - 02/18/08 10:58 PM

Thank you Leonardo. Thank you oldwoman. You guys have been great. I will hang out at another poz forum more, bye now.

Pats

Reged: 02/19/08
Loc: Derby UK
      #236767 - 02/19/08 09:19 PM

There are many postings for this in the archives on the site.

I am in the same position as you, and here is what I know.

The USA bans anyone from entering it's territories that can be considered to have a "communicable diease" like ebola, legionaires and as of 1986 (I thnk) HIV.

However there is a thing called an HIV Waiver and your PCP can help you with this. Basically the states are more concerned, these days, about any individual being a burden on the society at large. So if you are in a job (or self supporting), have med insurance, can be considered a sensible person (not going to have unprotected sex or try to stab someone with a needle) then there should not be any problems. Your HIV PCP can help you with this and can even get a green card for you should your current one expire.

Customs at airports are more concerned about smugglers and terrorists than us HIVers. If you have medication, then put it in a differnet pill box or something. Remember customs officaials are not medically trained so cannot "authoritativly" argue with you.

As you say, one day this will be removed from the federal docket. In the UK HIV/AIDS is no longer considered a terminal illness, it has been down graded to a chronic condition. Sensibility is starting to arrive.

Good luck
Bob

Kristian

Reged: 02/25/08
      #236943 - 02/26/08 09:13 AM

You had alot of good advice from Bob, I see. I have travelled alot internationally, am a US citizen, and have been taking meds for about 10 years. I travel with them, and have had no problems anywhere. Customs agents just see bottles of prescription drugs and have never asked anything about them. I carry them in my hand luggage, there are stories of luggage getting lost with important drugs, and you don't want that top happen.

luckyman

Reged: 03/23/08
Loc: British Columbia
      #237872 - 03/23/08 02:24 PM

I fully understand the troubles with crossing the border to the US and having Hiv. Even though my doctor is dead against it everytime I fly to the US which is several times a year I go off my meds. I fear so strongly that they may find my meds and refuse my entry and that is were all of my friends are. We shouldn't have to put ourselves in this situation just to be able to live our lives.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8108

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3