Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Life >> Gay Men

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Finding the Right Physician
      #198906 - 07/05/06 03:22 PM

I have a question. I am currently negative although am worried because I am still in window period for HIV testing after a worrisome sexual encounter (not quite out to 6 months yet).

I am pretty much closeted but have had to let my guard down somewhat with my recent HIV concerns. I find that my existing family doctor seems somewhat uncomfortable about my HIV concerns over the last few months. While I have always liked this doctor, I am thinking it might be better to find a "gay friendly" family practitioner. First, does this sound like a good idea? If yes, how do I go about finding such a doctor?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
Re: Finding the Right Physician new
      #198911 - 07/05/06 04:32 PM

Its possible that your physician is simply fed-up with your persistant worry about being HIV positive. A gay friendly physician would not change the fact that you tested HIV negative. There is no harm in switching doctors, but expecting to have a more sympathetic (gay friendly) doctor to your worries is unrealistic.
However, if you cannot accept your HIV negative test, or you have had unprotected sexual encounters then by all means get tested again.

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

Anonymous
Unregistered

#198924 - 07/05/06 05:27 PM

Bear60: You read more into my account than actually exists. I have tested quite a few times but I have done most of my testing anonymously so my doctor was not involved. He only ordered my first test and my 3 month test per the protocol. My question more or less related to some doctors being uncomfortable with homosexuality and the possibility of HIV. I was curious if others here went looking for a more friendly doctor or not and if so, how they did it. The question really does not involve my current concerns about my status per se.

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #198983 - 07/05/06 11:48 PM

Oh if he is the slightest bit not understanding or judgemental about you being gay, FIRE HIM!!! I am serious! I dont think you need to search yet until you get confirmation. There are plenty of HIV nonjudgemental, non-confrontational about your sexual preference. Jesus, what day are we living in!! Good luck and stop looking for now. Its not necessary. But if you want to find a gay friendly doctor, by all means!! My GP is gay and I like to be able to explain in gay terms what I am feeling.. Its a very healthy relationship and thats what you want. Eggshells are not allowed in the exam room!!!!! Of course I always think he is staring at my package.... lol just kidding!!!!!!!!!!

Love

Eric "RatBoy"

Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
      #199044 - 07/06/06 10:14 AM

Well, OK. Then my answer is this: I think its best to stick with a doctor who knows you and you are comfortable with. The vast majority of doctors treat HIV as a medical problem and are not responsible for stigmatizing the disease. Doctors do not put out "gay friendly" signs either. But having the best Infectious Disease doctor possible is more important than whether he is GAY FRIENDLY.
However, when my partner and I began our relationship, I switched doctors so that we would be going to the same doctor. It just makes life easier. If your issues are that you have not been open about your sexuality with your present doctor and are uncomfortable telling him you are homosexual because he has made homophobic statements to you, then perhaps that is reason enough to switch doctors.

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

Edited by Bear60 (07/06/06 04:37 PM)

Anonymous
Unregistered

#199398 - 07/10/06 09:17 AM

Though the comfort factor is one of the main reasons to stay or fire a doctor, you should also consider how much of HIV treatment your current doctor knows. When and IF you need to treat HIV later, you must look for a doctor who specializes and is also current in HIV treatment. Not all doctors know how to deal with HIV properly since not all keep current on treatment.

I f your doctor acts uneasy around the issue of homosexuality and HIV, that right there can tell you (s)he might not be your best choice for this particular health issue.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3357

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3