Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Life >> Gay Men

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

isolated
      #18704 - 06/25/01 05:12 PM

I have been diagnosed HIV for about six years. I've stayed away from getting involved in any kind of socializing except church and a few close straight friends. I really am at the point where I would like to maybe meet some other men. I wonder about a few things?
1. Can positive and negative have a safe, sexual, loving relationship by practicing safe sex or are people too freaked out about catching HIV?
2. If I choose to start dating again and I choose to only be with somebody that is positive, Do we still have to have safe sex? Do two positives reinfect each other and cause the virus to mutate if no safeguards are used?
3. Where do you meet other men besides the clubs?
thanks for your ear.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
TomK
Unregistered

Re: isolated new
      #18749 - 06/27/01 02:26 PM

Hey there
You sure can have a wonderful relationship and safe sex with a negative person. My partner is negative. I've been positive for over 9 years. We've been together for just over 2 years, having safe sex and he's tested negative every time.
Get out there and start meeting people! I sat out of social world for the first two years after I found out and now I regret the waisted time.
There are plenty of quality, understanding men out there. When you find the right one, and you've discussed the situation fully, go see your doctor together to discuss safe sex options and ask questions.
Results are two-fold: you both become better informed, putting your minds at ease; and you build an even stronger bond as a couple.
Good Luck! and remember- get out and enjoy life!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#18755 - 06/27/01 03:32 PM

I agree with the other posting...I am in a +/- relationship and I am the neg guy. We always engage in protected behavior, but it has not hindered our relationship at all. I entered this relationship not knowing what the circumstances would be, but shortly asked that my partner take an HIV test before we engage in sexual behavior. Unfortunately not the outcome we expected. You must be social in order to meet nice men. I suggest you seek someone with equal qualities, and do as any date would do...discuss personal issues only after becoming comfortable with someone. You needn't disclose your status first, but also must refrain from engaging in ANY sexual contact if you opt to refrain. If you do engage in contact without disclosing the information he will likely view you as careless and the relationship will not survive once he is informed. I suggest you try other routes as local organizations and social clubs, but still attend night/dance clubs--there are some great guys there, but you must be social. In reference to unsafe sex with another + person...That is not a great idea (according to research), there are various strains of the disease and having reinfection with a different strain may lead to drug resistance. Now is the time to be as selfish as ever, which includes being overly cautious and caring. I wish you the best, and all of us are praying for you!

princealbert
Fanatic

Reged: 05/21/00
Loc: New York City
      #18780 - 06/27/01 11:39 PM

Depends where you live. Have you tried calling an AIDS service organization in your area or state? Sometimes they have support groups or can help you find one.
Good luck

Kim in CA
Unregistered

#18818 - 06/29/01 03:16 PM

I am positve, my partner of 14 years is negetive, We have safe sex and he is fine. Don't be afraid to go out and meet new people and be honest about yourself. Most guys can take the news well, but let them get to know you first, then tell them.

Good Luck-
Kim
spotinthepines@earthlink.net

Anonymous
Unregistered

#19723 - 07/25/01 04:44 AM

First of all, You don't say where u live.. There are many more people out there with the same problem your facing. i.e. ( myself ) . And yes two positive people must have safe sex also. They will re-infect one another.. Most non-infected people are definetly worried about getting AIDS. I would worry also if I were'nt infected myself. Think about it. A friend of mine who is not infected, ad he knows I am, we continue to have sex safely..and I think he's one in 1000 ..if any of this make sense, then go out and live..

Anonymous
Unregistered

#27461 - 01/27/02 05:08 PM

You asked a question about reinfection between two hiv positive men:

"Reinfection" with a different strain of hiv from one person who is already hiv positive to another person who is already hiv positive is purely speculative. Is it not true that only a single case had been reported in medical literature (by Dr. Jonathan Angel, Ottawa, Canada) and that this case was later challenged as flawed and withdrawn? If reinfection really occurred between two people who are already hiv positive, wouldn't we have seen it by now? Are not studies of the possibility underway but not yet finished? Dr. Greg Greenwood at Center For AIDS Prevention Studies, University of California at San Francisco and Dr. Robert Grant of Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology) are studying whether reinfection occurs in gay couples.
http://www.aegis.com/pubs/atn/2000/ATN35602.html
http://www.caps.ucsf.edu/people/greenwoodbio.html
http://www.ahcpub.com/ahc_root_html/hot/archive/aa122001.html

Dr. Frances Gotch (a vaccine expert) of Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, London, United Kingdom has got a grant from the Wellcome Trust to research reinfection in Uganda.

Until such results are published, shouldn't people refrain from describing reinfection between two positive people as an established fact?

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3143

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3