Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Life >> Gay Men

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

gay men
      #186931 - 04/18/06 08:00 PM

I asked the forum to take off the gay men and just put men
so people will stop thinking about people being gay. we need to stop this when people use gay some people are judgemental and turn away when we need to educate people
this is not a gay disease. we are all in this together nobody needs to know if your gay or not it is nobodys business

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: gay men new
      #186944 - 04/18/06 09:19 PM

I appreciate the gay men forum. Gay men go through different experiences.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#186948 - 04/18/06 10:06 PM

I just hate how people look at it as a gay disease

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #186956 - 04/18/06 10:43 PM

statistically speaking, gay's are a minority... as usual..

Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
      #186985 - 04/19/06 08:40 AM

I like the idea that GAY MEN are still visible in this forum. If we get rid of "Gay" altogether it may eliminate a segment of the population who need to see this forum. If you have another idea about how to include everyone without seeming to eliminate anyone.... lets hear it.

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

Choosing2Liv
Legend

Reged: 03/21/06
Loc: South
      #187046 - 04/19/06 03:49 PM

I've asked the forum to create a heading for "Men." This would allow those of us who do not consider ourselves gay to post issues that relate to all men, whether gay, bi or straight. This would be similar to the "Women" site.

Bear60
Legend

#187149 - 04/20/06 10:07 AM

I understand the reasoning behind the effort to change "Gay Men" to ......"Men". Of course there are men in here who probably need a forum for MENS issues. The Women can talk about their periods and the men can talk about their prostates. Or something like that.

But........... there has been a movement even within the Gay Community, to assimilate into the "society in general" by eliminating or changing old or outdated GAY concepts. How this manifests itself is that the powers that be in GAY organizations want to divorce themselves of all the politically incorrect aspects of Gay society. The most prominent example of this is in the Civil Rights Movement for GLBT rights. We are supposed to look, act and behave exactly like straight people.......... in order that we gain our right to marry and adopt kids. Now I'm all for letting GLBT folks marry and have kids....( isnt monogamy what everyone in this forum says will slow the rate of HIV infection?) but I for one am not willing to stand by and have my GAYNESS eliminated. For years I have helped mount a show of LGBT artists each June (Gay Pride Month). There is a movement to eliminate GAY art shows in the gay community because we dont want to have anyone think that we are a MINORITY or that we are in some way DIFFERENT. Once we all become mainstream gays there will be nothing left of gay culture as I know it.
So this is why I am against eliminating the words Gay Men.....because it is a special group and does have a unique culture....although fast becoming extinct I guess.
Why not have a Forum for MENS HEALTH ISSUES...LEAVE GAY MEN alone

--------------------

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #187152 - 04/20/06 10:39 AM

but bear your forgot about our needlepoint and cooking issues!

cassiusp

Reged: 03/31/06
Loc: south florida, US
      #187276 - 04/20/06 06:25 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with Bear60. And secondly there needs to be a forum so that GAY men who are positive know that there is a place for them to go and relate. I don't care what anybody says, we gays DO lead a different life (just like my black, asian or any other minority friends insist on telling me how my life is perceptually different from theirs). I live in south florida (one of the gayest places in the US) and I still meet people who have lived here for eons and have no inkling of the gay lifestyle. There is a lot more coming out to do folks, trust me. Hence the need to acknowledge our diversity.

On the other hand I agree that HIV isnt a gay disease as evidenced by the different forums on this site. But isn't celebrating diversity on a website like this is a better idea (so that people can see that "the body" tries to help all kinds, and accepts all kinds?) rather than just have 2 forums ... one men, one wome?. HOW BORING would that be. very "1984" if you ask me :)

Bear60
Legend

#187296 - 04/20/06 09:15 PM

Hear Hear. Well put, lets NOT get rid of Diversity.

--------------------

terryA

Reged: 03/18/05
Loc: San Leandro, CA., usa
      #187381 - 04/21/06 11:52 AM

Personally, I have very little in common with the gay culture, here in the San francisco area. However, I'd still would rather talk with gay people, instead of straight, because, dealing with it encompasses my entire situation, not just the disease, and I tend to gravitate to people with similar points of view. I think if I were closeted, and just found out I was positive, I surely wouldn't look for mens health in general.

--------------------
Terry Aleith

Anonymous
Unregistered

#187864 - 04/25/06 12:51 PM

I just wish some MSM's (or wannabe's) would stop using this forum as a pick up site. There are plenty of sites for that and I feel like our space has been violated when guys, not looking for info on HIV, post here.

Bear60
Legend

#187870 - 04/25/06 01:12 PM

Is that your reason for eliminating a Gay Men's forum?

--------------------

shannon

Reged: 04/01/06
Loc: Illinois/Washington, D.C.
a lurker weighs in new
      #189388 - 05/04/06 12:06 AM

I'm SOOO with Bear on this one. Even as a "married" adoptive lesbian mom, I have no interest in being just like straight people--and no matter how you dress or act or how much you volunteer for the PTA, guess what? You're still a queer. (Which is a GOOD thing, people!)

I want this forum to stay as is because my HIV+ loved one is a gay man and it sure as heck DOES make a difference to his whole life and what the disease means to us as a family. I like to lurk here and read what others in his boat are going through.

HIV may not be a "gay disease" (check any recent statistic and you'll figure that out pretty fast) but gay men have a unique historical and social relationship to this disease and ought to be recognized for that.

--------------------
"All that you have is your soul."
Tracy Chapman

tuffnftl
Regular

Reged: 05/03/06
Loc: florida,fort laud
      #189436 - 05/04/06 09:15 AM

i believe we need such a forum to discuss our needs which vary from the hetero folks, granted same disease, different people, no body is telling the heterows to stay out

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13227

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3