Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Gay Men

Pages: 1
JEFFHAWAII
Unregistered

DRUG HOLIDAY
      #180361 - 03/16/06 08:17 PM

I am taking a drug Holiday.(against my doctors advice) Ive been on meds for 10 years now and it just feels like the right thing to do. Anybody have experience with a long drug holiday? Im a surfer from Hawaii and Im healthy with 500 t-cells and an undetectable Viral Load. ALOHA

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
midwest4u
Regular

Reged: 03/01/06
Loc: ILLINOIS
Re: DRUG HOLIDAY new
      #180367 - 03/16/06 08:43 PM

After ten years I am sure you know the risk. I feel a drug holiday is a trip none of us can afford to take. That is just my opinion. Best of luck to you.

--------------------
In the end only kindness matters - Jewel

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #180377 - 03/16/06 09:10 PM

I think you know what dice you are rolling. I think once this new class of drug is released this is presumably able to deal with mutations, it might be something for the future. But I dont think I personally would try it. But, I am no expert as I just started 2 months ago.. I burned my vacation time already..

Best of Luck and I hope you will be ok with it..

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
      #180400 - 03/16/06 11:11 PM

I have, I was on epivir and zerit in 2000 and decided to forego therapy as a friend of mine had just died from a heart attack brought about by the cholesterol elevating effects of Crixavan. I was fine until 2003 when I came down with a nasty dose of PCP. If you do a drug holiday, I would get monthly blood tests to track your CD4 and viral load. If you are on PIs, resistance to one means resistance to many. There are few options once resistance to PIs develops, I personally would be careful. However, a carefully monitored drug holiday often can be successful. I successfully took one in 2005 after a bout with pancreatiitis and liver lesions; but, I had blood tests at every two weeks

Cheers up, mate,

ScotCharles

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
      #180583 - 03/17/06 06:25 PM

Jeff......
As you know, we here are not doctors and can only give you our best advice. From what you say you are already taking a "drug holiday" and want us to give you feedback. You already have some good advice.....a drug holiday should be closely monitored with regular blood work.
I have talked to someone who was in a study......the purpose of which was to determine if some individuals were able to be be weaned off of HIV drugs. Totally. Another study recently has determined that drug holidays are NOT good for individuals who need to be on meds. By this study I think the docs were trying to determine if its possible to save money on meds by taking regularly scheduled drug holidays. More news about drug holidays actually helping the HIV virus to mutate and become resistant to the protease inhibitors makes your drug holiday seem very risky.
Seems to me that you are doing a sort of Russian roulette with this drug holiday.
So, there is a lot going on. I havent spoken recently to the guy who was trying to get off HIV drugs altogether but at last contact he was hoping to be able to stay off them. This study was ONLY for individuals who had undetectable viral loads and high T Cell counts..... and had been taking drugs for a long time.

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2991

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3