Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Life >> Gay Men

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
citywoof

Reged: 02/20/06
Loc: Portland, Oregon
Hello, new guy here
      #176116 - 02/20/06 06:27 PM

Hi, new guy here. Just thought I'd make my initial post. I'm 43 and living in Portland, Oregon. Poz since 1989 (that I know of, since I tested poz first time out). Doing pretty well on meds. Working part time for Metropolitan Community Church, I run the food bank for poz individuals and families in our community, called Esther's Pantry. Unable to find a partner in this town, so I would really like to move to a larger city where I might find more poz folks to interact with and/or date. I'm thinking Dallas, Texas. I dunno. SO anyway, thanks for reading and I will try to be a fequent reader/poster. HUGS, Mark

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
Re: Hello, new guy here new
      #176123 - 02/20/06 07:01 PM

Hi Mark.....
Its nice to see another Bear in here! Woof! I lived in Oregon for a few years and just love your area. But I can relate to the lack of available husbands. I moved to Philadelphia from Seattle. I still miss the water and the mountains and the GREEN everywhere all year round.

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

Blixer
Legend

Reged: 01/10/06
Loc: Missouri
      #176137 - 02/20/06 08:17 PM

Welcome Mark! I've only been around here for a couple of months. I just was diagnosed poz in early Jan. Not on meds yet, actually have my first real appointment with the ID doc next Monday. I wish you the best in your search for a partner. I have found these boards very helpful to me over the past few weeks.

David

--------------------
David
Sustiva, Epivir, Videx EC

Anonymous
Unregistered

#176148 - 02/20/06 09:52 PM

Hello Mark, I am in the Phoenix area. It sounds like you have things under control with everything as well as you can. I'm sure all the good you do out there is very much appreciated. Good luck in any moving decisions you may make. We'll keep an eye out for your notes here.

david

DavidSolomon
All Star

Reged: 02/17/06
Loc: Gilbert (Phoenix) Arizona
      #176181 - 02/20/06 11:27 PM

This last post was from me. My login went off

david

--------------------
David

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #176427 - 02/21/06 08:14 PM

Hubba Hubba. Welcome Mark.. Nice to have you here. Best of luck on your move. Thats a wonderful thing your doing for us pos folks over in Portland.. Looking forward to getting to know you more.. Post often and welcome!

Love

robertjr

Reged: 06/01/05
Loc: oregon
      #176607 - 02/22/06 08:07 PM

Hi Mark, My partner and i live in Corvallis , not far from you , We have been together for over four years now . We meet at an HIV + retreat we go to evey year . When we meet Daniel was liveing in Portland and was dealing with the same proublum you are now and that was not being able to meet that special someone. We are both very involed with state and local organizations , we are both speakers in schools and love what we do . I guess what i am trying to say is i totally know where you are comeing from and i admire the work that you are doing . I never though i would be doing what i am doing but sometimes you just have to play with the hand that is dealt to you. I moved here from s.Fla and never though i would meet or ever have a partner again but now i do and so will you . Keep up the good work that you do and good luck to you . Always , Bob

StPPoz

Reged: 02/15/06
Loc: Minnesota
      #176633 - 02/22/06 10:01 PM

Hi, Mark - been to Dallas a number of times, but don't know much about the hiv community there. However, I lived in Houston 7 years before being transferred to Minnesota and I think Houston was the most accepting of HIVers of anywhere I've been. Top notch treatment facilities and social services. The guys there don't discriminate because of your status - never once was that a problem. They accept hiv as a fact of life, take the proper cautions and enjoy life. I actually had a guy say this to me once: will you not go out with me just because i'm negative? I can't believe you'd discriminate against me for that. (His status wasn't the reason, but nevertheless, I appreciated what he said.) I guess I didn't realize how lucky I was until I was transferred to Minnesota, where the guys generally want nothing to do with you if you're positive. Fortunately, I met a great guy (negative)who didn't care about my status and we've been together 8 years. I'd say, if you have the opportunity to move where you have a chance to be around a larger poz population, you should go for it. And maybe give Houston a look. Good luck wherever you end up!!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#176642 - 02/22/06 10:33 PM

Without a doubt, after living in many cities, Houston, TX has more HIV aware individuals, who are open, positive or negative, and the resources are among the best in the Nation, if not the World.

We are in a mixed status relationship for the last 6 yrs, and it never mattered or was an issue.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#176655 - 02/22/06 11:01 PM

Hey Portland...if you think you might be able to tolerate cold winters, you may want to consider Chicago. Aside from being a big city offering lots to do, Chicago is a very welcoming city with a number of HIV positive organizations, support groups, as well as social groups that afford abundant opportunities to meet others who are HIV positive. The "Test Positive Aware Network" (TPAN) is headquartered in Chicago. TPAN is a national organization that also facilitates a variety of local support groups, a weekly happy hour social at an area bar by the name of Berlin (located at the Belmont Street "L" stop - Red/Brown lines), various fund raisers throughout the year, as well as an annual gala called "The Aware Affair." Go to www.tpan.com to learn more about TPAN. Also, check out www.positiveforce.net to learn more about another means of connecting with members of the Chicago HIV Positive community. Chicago's Howard Brown Health Center is the country's largest facility of its kind geared specifically toward serving the GLBT community. Chicago's entire shoreline along Lake Michigan is public use park, beach and harbor area offering great places to bike ride, boat, rollerblade, play tennis, jog, walk your dog, lift weights (outdoor Bally's), swim, play volleyball, or just hang out and meet other people. "Hollywood Beach" is the gay beach area and is located in the vicinity of Hollywood Road and Lake Shore Drive. Chicago is a very open minded city and is one of the few places in the country where the gay area of the city is actually most appropriately named "Boystown" ... just look for the phallic rainbow striped & rocket shaped street light thingys installed in and around the 3000 block of Halsted Street and you'll know you're in the right place). In addition to everything else I've mentioned, there are tons of theaters, museums, sports teams and parks worthy of checking out. The annual Pride Festival and Market Days celebrations will happen this summer...and of course, Chicago will be hosting the upcoming Gay Games. If you decide to fly in and see for yourself, O'Hare Airport offers somewhat more convenient proximity to Boystown than Midway Airport. Enjoy safe travels as you research your options!!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#176695 - 02/23/06 07:14 AM

Hi Mark, visit anywhere you may be interested
in b/f you move as I lived in Houston(OK) and
Dallas for a year(A BAD MISTAKE)very conservative
and Texas is not very good as they tend to be
mistake prone however some of the Doc's are good,
Good Luck

My stats since I left Texas have risen to a CD
count of 445 and a viral load that is undetectable

Epivir,Viread,Sustivia and a Multi Vitamin

DougieG
Unregistered

#176759 - 02/23/06 12:20 PM

Mark: In response to your situation, Texas is the last place on earth for a gay or lesbian to even think of living! I lived in Dallas at one time & the gay community there has no rapport with the police; they are weak politically & poz guys fled to California, etc. I would not live in Texas if I were straight! Gee, Portland is such a progressive & wonderful town & Dallas is so regressive....afterall it is the buckle of the bible belt.....the bible queens harass you at the entrance to the bars there. Wait to you see what the weather is like in Dallas in the summer! It is a virtual sauna bath for months! I could not even afford the AC in Dallas ..with todays high energy bills; stay in Oregon my friend & date on the internet. The Bush policies have kept poz people in poverty & desperation....good lluck & good night.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#176763 - 02/23/06 12:58 PM

Mark: Thinking over your situation, I know that a lot of Portland people went to Hawaii; some went to Kauai & the big Island. "Hawaii Guy" was all over the internet & now resides near Kona; they were all from Portland originally. I would not want to reside in a big urban area; I prefer the suburbs as doctors everywhere are doing the same thing all over now. As I mentioned before Texas sucks. The culture in Dallas is about what kind of car you drive, Neiman Marcus, & drinking; lots of it! Poz guys came to Calif because of HUD housing for HIV poz folks which I understand is not even available in places like Texas. There are hot cowboys in Texas but better to visit for a short time & not linger too long. You can get arrested in Texas for things that are no longer offenses in places like California; such as police entrapment in tea rooms is a serious offense in Texas ....in Texas you would go to prison for cruising an undercover cop! How much is your freedom worth? Keep up the good work in Portland, which is one of my favorite cities. You will meet someone in the most unlikely of places. When you look too hard you will not get anywhere. At 43 you are young & have lots of look forward to.

Bhammer40
All Star

Reged: 01/17/06
Loc: Alabama
Try Austin, Texas new
      #177524 - 02/27/06 07:36 PM

If you are thinking about Texas you need to move to Austin. Forget about Dallas... yuck. Austin is the place to live if you must move to Texas.

--------------------
Diagnosed 11/2005
Last Labs Drawn 10/18/2007
Cd4 906; 49%
VL 189
Still No Meds Yet

SngleItalianBear
Unregistered

#177777 - 03/01/06 09:07 AM

Hi Mark,
I also volunteer for a Hiv Community Org, in Tampa bay. You may want to consider the east coast.. Florida is nice and there are plenty of men . I have been pos for almost 10 yrs now and single for almost 6 of those yrs. Meeting poz guys is not the hardest thing to do in this town, meeting quality men is probably the single most frustrating thing ever. But if you ever get this way drop a note.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9330

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3