Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Gay Men

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

DRINKING AND DRIVING THE MEDS!
      #170704 - 01/21/06 12:01 PM

So first of all, I know this is a question for my doc, but thought I'd at least get a perspective on here from the people that actualy feel what I feel. I began taking meds several months ago and have been gliding smoothly along. I am a very social person, work in a PR capacity and therefore attend a plethora of events, which is NO excuse for picking up a glass of wine... or two... or three... ok, a dozen! :) I'm fully aware that meds are EXTREMELY taxing on our livers and our body in general and consuming mass quantities of alcohol or even any quantity for that matter is not exactly the "best" additive to my regimen! I have previously asked my Doc, who says it's ok in modertaion... but just how much is moderation? Does that mean only the days that end in "y" ? :) Just looking for any insight from anyone who may have experienced the backlash of drinking and meds, or any guidance as to how much is too much? I don't have a drinking problem, it's just something I enjoy and I have already cut myself back. I was known for years as the happy-go-lucky rosey cheeked entertaining guy with a bottomless glass of champagne in his hand, and now when I opt for a Sprite, the room comes to a stand still!! Whats your thoughts my beloved peers?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: DRINKING AND DRIVING THE MEDS! new
      #170732 - 01/21/06 05:50 PM

I am the same way. I like to be the life of the party. I limit myself to ONE night a week going out with friends and having 4 or 5 drinks. (I dont drive.) Moderation probably means a glass of wine with dinnner, an occasional beer and maybe a couple of drinks at a party. If your friends want to know why you are moderating........ tell them you are on a diet. Or tell them the truth?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#170917 - 01/23/06 12:08 PM

I can only share my experiences with drinking and HIV meds; but after years of being an alcoholic, I started noticing that at night I would start shaking (more like shivering) uncontrollably. It finally dawned on me that this happened only after I drank, so I decided to stop and see if the shivering did as well, and sure enough, they stopped. Since then I may have a micro-brewery beer and glass or two of wine, but thats it . . . anymore than that and I start back with the shivers. I really dont miss the hangovers because it was getting to where, after a night of drinking, it would take me 2 or 3 days to get to feeling normal again. So there you have it, my 2 cents worth, hope it helps someone out!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#171583 - 01/25/06 09:31 PM

how much is moderation? you ask
according to whom? i ask, and for whom?
(it reminds me of the old joke about what "promiscuous" is ...promiscous is someone who has more sex than YOU do, of course!)
we all know that drinking while on meds is not the best thing in the world, but we also know that we take the meds so that we can survive in order to LIVE, not just live to survive!
is a drink part of life? go ahead and drink, by all means!
is getting drunk part of life? go ahead and THINK, by all means!
we all know, deep inside, what is too much and what isn't for ourselves and our health. one thing is, as they all say, a glass of wine with dinner and another totally different half a bottle of vodka or tequila every night in order to go to sleep...
and then again there are those who compare alcohol abstinence in hiv poz people to changing cabins in the titanic!

i have been poz for the last 16 years, on meds for the last 10, have been al alcoholic all my life. stopped drinking (cold turkey) when i started the meds, started with a glass of wine with dinner 3 years later. had the temptation of the ocassional binge and indulged in it. not worth it, a hangover with a post-alcohol depression is not what i call quality of life. yet i still enjoy one or two glasses of wine with dinner, every day. ...guess i just learned how much i wanted to live and how i wanted to live. it is MY life, after all.
do the same about yours, but please, DON'T drive under the influence: you put other people's lives at stake, and that is certainly NOT the point!
cheers!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#171684 - 01/26/06 08:45 AM

You need to ask yourseld why do you drink, and what do you achieve, or get by drinking.
It is just a matter of discipline, it is like eating, or even sex.
I grew up with alcoholic parents, so I am probably not the right person to give advice.
But it is easy, have one or maximum two glasses and then stop.
Have juice, have water or whatever, but say no to alcohol.
I am writing from South Africa and my heart is with you.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#171981 - 01/27/06 12:48 PM

IM SURE A GLASS OR TWO WONT HURT,BUT IF YOU REALLY WANT TO FIND OUT GO TO NATAP.ORG. THEY ARE REALLY GOOD FOR FINDING OUT INFO ABOUT DRUG SIDE EFFECTS AND WHAT YOU CAN AND CAN'T TAKE WITH ANTIVIRALS.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#172098 - 01/28/06 09:17 AM

Thanks to all of you for the info...as it turns out, today is our community's largest street party, so this is timely. I learned from a friend that be careful of beer before you have your numbers done....two beers are known to skew them. I've not tried this, but heh...it's info. Thanks again guys!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#173135 - 02/03/06 01:55 AM

I will share my experience. When I first started taking Sustiva, I was on a schedule that had me taking my meds at 9 or 10PM. One night after taking my meds, I felt the call of the wild and went out to get a cocktail. Half way through my first drink, I felt as though I had 10 cocktails. Then it dawned on me, the effects of combining meds with alcohol.

As a prior "problem drinker", I had been cutting down on my drinking and thought that just one drink (after meds), wouldn't hurt. Now, I've set a limit for myself of 2 glasses of wine/beer or 1 mixed drink. So, it's a simple process of counting to 1 or 2, that's my maximum.

Now, I'm better adjusted to my meds and the schedule has changed to 11PM, after I'm in for the night and several hours after a glass of wine with dinner. So, that's my definition of "in moderation".

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5573

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3