Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Gay Men

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

OMG - Just started Sustiva
      #156292 - 06/18/05 08:15 PM

I took my first sustiva (once daily) pill about 6 hours ago and I'm finally concious enough to walk around. Please tell me that those side effects go away. That was pretty bad.

No dreams just any waking moments were like... like... I have no idea how to describe it. No frame of reference from which to get the idea across. Oh, here's one! My whole body on novacaine, stuff you get at dentist office, but 100 times worse and it affects the mind in the same way as it affects the body.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PozitivelyFit
Regular

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: New York City
Re: OMG - Just started Sustiva new
      #156297 - 06/19/05 12:22 AM

I know exactly what you are going through. In fact, as I type this, it's near my bedtime and I've taken Sustiva about an hour ago. From time to time I feel a little dizzy and don't have much balance but it's getting to be much less. I was on Sustiva before, awhile back, it caused the same side effects but then went away. Since you have just started the medicine, it will probably be a good 3 - 4 weeks that you'll be feeling the effects. After that, you should start feeling a lot more like yourself. I usually take my dose of Sustiva at bedtime since any kinds of fatty foods increase the severity of side effects. Let me know how you continue to do and I wish you good health and thoughts.
Always,
Marco Antonio

--------------------
Someday, I will be the most powerful Jedi ever!!!

jdsk8r

Reged: 03/24/05
Loc: Washington
      #156308 - 06/19/05 12:09 PM

I have been on Stustiva for almost two years. When I took my first dose I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and I could barely get back to the bed. Everything was moving and swaying etc... My side effecte shave subsided a great deal. I have the occassional wierd dream, but It does get better,They say it is one of the best drugs for first line treatment. Just remember take your meds religiously. I have become undetectable. I wish you the best and It will get better. I take Sustiva before bed, not during the day as I made that mistake once. Wishing you the best!!!! Life is beautiful!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#156336 - 06/20/05 12:22 PM

I've been on Sustiva for over two years now and Love it. I was on a protease regimen for 6 or 7 years and could never get to an undetectable VL, but after just 6 weeks, I got down to undetectable and its remained there for two years. As for me, I never have had weird dreams at night but once in awhile I get them during my afternoon siesta. I actually think they're pretty cool if you can keep in mind that it is the Sustiva at work and not dementia. There have been a couple of times that I accidentally took two doses at the same time and could not walk. What fun . . . I laughed my butt off, though it isnt something I'd want to do on purpose. Its a great drug, so be sure to hit every dose because you dont want to grow resistance to it! Good Luck!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#156389 - 06/22/05 05:09 PM

Hi,
I'm on Sustiva too. For 4 months now. It works - undedectable and cd-4 back to 500 - and so do the side effects. Keep in mind that the first two months are the worse; dizzyness, scarry dreams and a hangover in the morning. That will get less thou, often, I still feel like having a party the night before so I need some extra time in the morning to become my old self again. And I realy have to go to bed a houer after taking the pill because I begin to feel stoned but, like with a lot of things in life, every day is different. So take it by the day and see what helps to get the Sustiva-demon down on his knees! - for exampIe: I don't drink alcohol anymore because it makes the dizziness worse and I take the pills late at night. Good Luck with these first two months! And ones more: It dos get better!
Simon.
B.T.W: There is a lot to read at the bodysite about the side effects of Sustiva

Anonymous
Unregistered

#156392 - 06/22/05 06:08 PM

I've been on Sustiva almost 5 weeks. I still feel like I have a hangover in the morning and I still get dreams unless I take a sleeping pill. With a sleeping pill I can get 6 hours sleep. Without, I might have 5 or 6 dreams that wake me up. Not as vivid any longer... nor as entertaining!

I would like to get a good nights sleep again, any hope my sleep will come back? I look and feel like crap in the morning and everyone tells me I look tired.

Also, my skin itches, feels sweaty and hot to the touch, even thought I don't show signs of sweating or fever. Drives me nuts. It is bad in early evening, after my day is winding down. It is also really bad when it is hot out, or I exert myself. I feel like moving to the North Pole! Anyone else have this problem??? I do take prescription antihistamines, but still no relief.

It has brought my viral load down in 4 weeks from 107,000 to 550 and my CD4 count up from 482 to 680, so I guess it is working and hate to stop taking it. I also take Combivir as part of my HART routine.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#156395 - 06/22/05 07:22 PM

I have been on Sustiva about 3 years. Your doctor should have discussed the side effects with you in detail. I take it just as I am getting in bed and by the time I wake up the side effects are all but gone. You will fine it is much easier on you if you take it just as you get in bed not an hour or more before. I made that mistake and felt like I was on an LSD trip. Alcohol will make it worse. I have been living with HIV since 1983 and with the combo I am now on my CD4 is 680 and load in undetectable so don't ever give up hope. Hang in there and you will find Sustiva is a very good drug. People react differently to it but it does get better in time. Give it a good month or 2. Good luck and I hope everything turns out alright for you.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#156403 - 06/22/05 09:37 PM

Don't worry it goes away. Just take them and go to bed within an hour for the first month or so. After that you won't notice it anymore. REALLY. I've been on it for 2 years and doing just fine.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#156405 - 06/22/05 10:03 PM

What are you doing taking it while you plan on being awake?! Typically you pop one a day right before bedtime. I missed a dose late one night, had to be up in 4 hours anyways for an early work commitment, and made the mistake of taking it first thing in the morning. A Greatfull Dead concert (or Phish if born after 1970) has NOTHING on that experience.

Aside from that it did subside after a week so give it a chance. Sustiva effects the brain for the same reasons that make it a prefered med: it's one of the few that penetrate the blood-brain barrior and can reach HIV hiding deep in the brain tissue. If you're not tolerant to any other med's and still frustrated than by all means switch!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#156413 - 06/23/05 01:40 AM

i am on sustiva for over 8 months now and since i still get very dizzy from it, i take it before bedtime. just like the guy posting before, i found out, you get less dizzy if you take it on an empty stomach. if i go clubbing on weekends i take it 3-4 hours early, so the dizziness goes away partly before i hit a dancefloor. i am not feeling too good about taking it early though, because for the dose the next day that means, that it is 28 hours after the previous dose. but i guess/hope, that a 4-hour-security bolster is still "acceptable".

Gabrielle Linton
Unregistered

#156422 - 06/23/05 11:23 AM

At least thats all that happened to you...when I took that stuff(female with depression) I had an adventure...first after I took the med,I walked to my couch,sat down and I don't remember what happened..except my wife told me...we had sex for an hour and when I became aware,I did not know who I was..where I was..who she was..I could not walk..she tried to put me in the bed and I kept falling out.Ever see a baby playing with their toes...well that was me. I was horrible. I am a recovering drug addict...and I know how a high feels but that med took me to a new place...and it did not feel good...at all ! Since that experiance I am NOT taking that med....

Anonymous
Unregistered

#156436 - 06/23/05 03:50 PM

I have found that taking my dose before bed on a empty stomach has helped with the side effects. Be careful of your fat intake and alcohol if you must take with food. Be encourage the side effects become less severe with time.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#156458 - 06/24/05 06:03 AM

Thanks for all your replies. My partner who is a nurse won't let me take it again and my doc perscribed a new med (Viramune). Something about an FDA warning for rare extreme reactions to Sustiva.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#156463 - 06/24/05 10:00 AM

OH DUDE: Sustiva is Awesome. The instructions say to take it at night, that keeps me to hyped up, I always take mine in the morning on an empty stomach. Everybody is different, but my initial symptoms went away by taking in the morning. And oh the vivid dreams are great !! Such color's remind me of all the LSD I did in high school. Just stick with it and take your pills with 100% compliance. If you recognize the Power of Prayer, you can pray over your pills before you take them--this has worked for me. And i call them MY MAGIC PILLS. With some folks P.I.'s can cause typeII diabetes, don't stress that, just make sure you eat healthy and maintain an exercise regimin. Fiber will help that although Fiber tears me up. And mainly HAVE FUN WITH IT. I, myself, am hoping that dementia sets in soon so i can HAVE FUN WITH IT. Try not to focus on the negative or even the fact that you're sick. Instead try focusing on others, helping others and you'll find your problems arn't near as bad as you thought. You'll be fine, man. PEACE

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: OMG - No problems in 2 years new
      #156481 - 06/24/05 12:59 PM

I have been taking Sustiva more than 2 yrs and have not experienced your side effects. I am taking in combination with Epiver and Viread. Maybe it is not so much the Sustiva as the combination. You might check with your doctor concerning that. I will admit I have not had in real serous medication side effects in the 16 yrs I have been positive but I give alot of credit to exceptionally good physician and following my regimen every day...Talk to your Doctor who i hope you have a very strong faith.
Diet is equally important. Hope things get resolved but if not you may have to switch to something other than Sustiva.

John in Dallas

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12672

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3