Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Gay Men

Pages: 1
2beNurse
Unregistered

Help me to be a better nurse
      #141049 - 04/29/05 08:34 AM

Hi. My name is CC and I am a nursing student due to graduate in August. As part of this semester I am to give a presentation on HIV. I would like to
focus on "how to be a better nurse to the HIV patient.". Is there anything you would like to tell a graduating group of nurses? Any of your thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated! My project is due 05/02/05 so an immediate response would be much obliged!
Please email me at skibabet@yahoo.com

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
stevepalma

Reged: 05/02/05
Loc: Ft.Lauderdale,Fla.
Re: Help me to be a better nurse new
      #141572 - 05/02/05 12:49 PM

Hi there,Well all i could tell is to treat paople with hiv/aids like anyone else and not like a leper,the last time i was in the hospital(it had nothing to do with hiv) they stuck me in this room at the very end of the hall and hardly ever saw a nurse,doctor-anyone for that matter,i imigane that they are not very educated about this disease or are just plain afraid that they may catch it.I dont know but it really opened my eyes to the plight of people living with hiv and aids. Good Luck,Steve.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Touch the Patient... new
      #142349 - 05/03/05 08:53 PM

Future Nurse: We HIVers are used to rejection or disrespect. I always give people the chance to do the right thing before assuming I am being "dissed". The last Post used the word "leper". Even that word has it's real life origins. Lepers used to live in "colonies" where they were largely cut off from the greater world (better than being stoned to death). Most people with HIV do not want to be cut off. Many of us continue to participate in all aspects of life including physical labor, athletics, medicine, education, and other areas where our presence might either be unwanted or (better) unexpected.
My best advice is extemely simple. Touch the person, litterally. skin to skin, the shoulder, a hand, whatever seems appropriate. Body language is really a most reliable way to communicate.
Due to a construction injury I somehow infected the inside of one leg. After it got pretty bad I went to my MD, who sent me to the emergency room for a (don't mean to be gross) a lancing, and possibly an overnight stay. The first young MD (intern I assume) was informed by me that I have HIV. He seemed a little worried and asked something like how long I have been infected, perhaps just to break the ice. Shortly thereafter a veteran MD with 30 years on him came in, touched me, squeezed my leg, and started lancing. He wore no protection save his prescription glasses. I sensed the intern was trying to signal him that I had HIV, so I just told him as well, to which he replied somewhat annoyed "I know". He then continued about his business, getting my blood on his arm, and not the least bit concerned except for my treatment and diagnosis. I love that MD. I love how he showed the younger man another approach to treatment, and the relative risks of everyday tasks. I hope you might provide that kind of example as well.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Touch the Patient... new
      #154203 - 05/26/05 09:27 AM

Regarding "touch the patient". That sounded a little dangerous to me. There's no need to put your self at risk just to make a point. As a medical practitioner you should really take the same precautions regardless who you are treating. Use your common sense, always remember you are treating a person and not a disease.

daiseydave

Reged: 06/09/05
Loc: Gulfport, Ms.
      #156040 - 06/09/05 03:47 AM

Hi CC...I played nurse to my lover who passed away last Oct thru six months of hospice....I can tell you with a great deal of certainty that patience...love...and genuine concern goes along way...Reassurance...Listen to your patients....and try dilligently to address their concerns and fears. Need anymore thoughts and suggestions don't hesitate to ask. I called myself Nurse Ratchett.............

--------------------
David.....IN MEMORY OF RAYMOND DAVID
MCRAE III NOV25,1971-OCT15,2004

CD4: 522
VL: 12,226

nettsu

Reged: 06/04/05
Loc: Melbourne, VIC, Australia
      #156071 - 06/10/05 07:51 AM

christ...

my poz bf went in for cardiac stents a couple of weeks ago - and his doctors & nurses were awesome... he was treated no differently to any other patient in the cardiac ward.

I think thats probably the main thing - don't treat them any differently...

Maybe we're lucky that we're in Australia rather than the US

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2618

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3