Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Life >> Gay Men

Pages: 1
TheFix

Reged: 03/28/05
Fear of getting tested...
      #139328 - 03/28/05 07:13 AM

I know I should get tested (I've just learned that a guy I had sex with about 10 months is positive)....but I simply cannot do it. I am mentally disturbed at the moment...I feel so fragile and I wouldn't be able to confront the test and its result.

I'm mad at the fact the guy didn't tell me...I feel betrayed....I have a major fear of dying now...

I haven't had any symptoms up to now...but I know symptoms ( or the absence of symptoms) don't really mean a thing..

It just feels good writing this. I will get tested..but trust me, I don't know what I'll have to do to actually go....I don't wanna live in denial, yet I am not well enough now to face the evental possibility of being positive...

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Fear of getting tested... new
      #139329 - 03/28/05 08:55 AM

You should get tested just to ease your mind. If you are not experiencing symptoms, then you should be fine. However, stress can often cause the body to do strange things and you may experience some things later. You will drive yourself crazy wondering. The only way to know for sure is to get the test. I did the same thing. You will also surprise yourself as to your level of strength. When I received my positive test result, I thought my world was over. However, it has been three years and I have been extremely successful in my life and in staying off meds. Trust me, there are so many people here ready to give you some advice and be there for you. Take that step and get tested. It could mean the difference between life and death for you and those that you choose to be intimate with. Best wishes!

Dakotalagrange HIV+ 3 years.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#139386 - 03/30/05 01:39 AM

Just a suggestion - find some source of support first (psychologist, counselor, group) to be there for you when you take the test, regardless of the result.

You should not be feeling alone, as you are not and not the first. Anger is not unusual, but remember, it takes two to tango. Did you ever ask him? Did he even know until recently? Did you practice safer sex?

Realize that I know of different (one in particular) sources for my HIV infection. But, I cannot waste the time or energy with being angry over that, as what happens today is more important.

Be prepared to cry when you get the result, neg or poz. It is good for you. It will be either a relief, or fear. But by knowing which, it will help you determine the next course of action for your health. Get educated about the disease and prevention/treatment. The power is in your hands.

Being newly positive at this time is a lot better than it was 19 1/2 years ago...basically, there was not much known, and even less for treatment. The prognosis was poor at best.

But here I am, 19.5 years later still kicking. I did it, have made it, and so can you.

My best to you.

kl85

glowstixboyoh
Unregistered

#139501 - 04/01/05 12:50 AM

Hey guy. Just wanted to say getting tested is the best thing you can do for yourself. I just found out I was about a month ago. I am not going to say things are great, but they are not as bad as you might think. Things have changed a lot in the last 20 years. By eating right, exersiceing, and sleeping your body may go a long time without you having to go on meds. It is scary and yeah things won't be easy, but it would be better to deal with what is going on then waiting until its too late. Maybe you should contact your local aids tasks force and speak with someone there and get set up with a support group or counseling. My suggestion though is if your not going to get tested for a while, make some life changes until your ready to go get tested. Eat better, sleep regularly, start doing exercises slowly, drink lots of water, and try to cut down on the stress. That way when you are ready to get tested, you might be better prepared for it. I mean, even if your not positive, your still doing something good for yourself.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#139699 - 04/05/05 07:04 PM

Dude, it's gonna drive you bonkers until you do. Feel free to drop me a line if you want to chat.

Peace

Giosef
HIV+ 25 years (and still going strong)
www.a3usa.net

spadude64
Regular

Reged: 12/26/04
Loc: Pa, USA
      #139708 - 04/06/05 02:27 AM

Why do you think you are at risk? You may have a psychocological condition called AIDS anxiety.
If you were with a man and let him do you then you MUST use a condom. Get tested for I am HIV positive and I have lived a great life!

spadude64
Regular

Reged: 12/26/04
Loc: Pa, USA
      #139709 - 04/06/05 02:30 AM

Never be afraid of getting tested! If you are HIV there are meds to prolong your life and maybe meds to totally halt HIV

TheFix

Reged: 03/28/05
      #140144 - 04/15/05 09:30 AM

Hi...Thank you for your kind words. I am going to get tested in about 2 hours. I'm scared...but I can't tolerate the iignorance anymore....I have gone through major anxiety episodes lately. I haven't had any HIV symptoms at all..but I know that they don't usually mean that everything's fine. I'm scared but I feel ready now to face the truth. I'll tell you more about it when I get my results next week...

Anonymous
Unregistered

#140378 - 04/23/05 02:31 AM

quit being a wuss and go take the test,what,you want to act like everything will be ok and it might not be,then you could posibly spread hiv around even more!i'm not trying to be rude but man quit this shit ,grab your balls and be a man and take the test dam-it

RobbyD

Reged: 04/23/05
Loc: Ft Lauderdale, Florida
      #140394 - 04/23/05 02:34 PM

Hey,

Listen you aren't alone in this, first of all you have the support of most people here, but as one user suggested you might want to make sure you have local support prior to getting tested and just to piggyback off of some other remarks that users have made,

Knowledge is EMPOWERING, don't feel all anxious and get yourself stressed out of the fact that you might or might not be positive.

Just remember this as clichiest as it may sound. Everything happens for a reason, I believe and affirm that completely. I know that personally for me when I was given my test results last May I broke down and bawled my eyes out it took me a little bit of time to process everything and at the end of the day (and this may sound off the wall) but testing positive was one of the greatest events in my life.

It's given me a sense of direction and made me realize how much I value life, being Postive no longer means that you have been sentenced to death the way it did in the early days, the treatemnts are much more advanced and as you can see many folks are living for long long period of time with this rotton virus.

Get the knowledge and then you'll know what direction/changes in your life you need ot make. Remember you have all the support in the world in the form of "The Body's website, and although you still need the physical support of loved ones, and friends that will all fall into place as well.. Just realize you aren't alone, and others have tormented themselves just as you have, but it's you that is doing the damge to yourself by not getting tested.

We're all praying for you and hope that everything turns out okay!!

Rob

--------------------
Check out my site!!!
http://postransitions.tripod.com

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4923

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3