HIV Life >> Gay Men

Pages: 1
spadude64
Regular

Reged: 12/26/04
Loc: Pa, USA
Skin infections and HIV?
      #138616 - 03/17/05 12:39 AM

I have had a boil on my left leg (upper inner thigh) for more than a week. As far as my viral load goes, I am undetectable, but how common are skin infections in people with HIV?
Should I be seen by a doctor? Any replies will be appreciated.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Skin infections and HIV? new
      #138959 - 03/18/05 09:09 AM

It's very common for people with HIV. See your doctor.

Are you on meds?

deeLL
Regular

Reged: 07/19/04
Loc: Africa
      #138969 - 03/18/05 02:06 PM

Skin infections are very common. In fact... I had no idea I was pos at all. The only problem was recurring skin infections otherwise I felt fine. After many treatments it was suggested that I get tested and low and behold.... positive.

The good news though is that all the skin infections I have had have really responded well to medications and creams from my dermatologist and I am sure yours will as well.

God bless

spadude64
Regular

Reged: 12/26/04
Loc: Pa, USA
      #138991 - 03/19/05 02:00 AM

Yes, I am on Sustiva and Combivir and this damn boil will not go away.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#139075 - 03/22/05 01:36 AM

By everything I have ever learned about HIV/AIDS, skin problems are not that unusual. They do respond well to treatment, and would highly suggest always keeping antibiotic ointment around to put on daily if you suspect infection.

Although you (like me) are undetectable, sometimes the immune system is not too "smart" (HIV damage) and stressed by the medications that fight HIV replication. Sometimes it is just as simple as vitamin/mineral depletion.

Remember also that there are more and more bacteria in the environment that are just tougher than they used to be.

Some of these problems can also be accentuated by the type of clothing (cotton, wool, poly/nylon, etc) that trap allergens like soap. Sustiva is known to cause skin rashes, but I think that it can accentuate other skin infections as well. Because it is on the inside of your leg, is it in line with a seam in your clothes, or irritated by urine? (Just thoughts). Other things also are bug/spider bites. Depending upon where you live, some years are worse than others with these problems. It has been so here in Oregon this past year, as the winter was mild.

Discuss these types of issues with your Dr., as he knows your situation better and can give you parameters to look for and first line actions to take.

Best to you.

jdsk8r

Reged: 03/24/05
Loc: Washington
      #139230 - 03/24/05 08:29 PM

I am taking Sustiva and combivir. How ling have you been on those meds. Any other side effects. I have weird dreams. Go see your doctor about the skin irritation. Smile!!!!!!!!!!!!

clilrichard

Reged: 07/09/03
Loc: EastTexas
      #139237 - 03/25/05 01:55 AM

yea skin infections are common I have what that call pitrispourum foloocilis and it makes me itchy and I get these red bumps wish I didn't but I do andd most of all stay healthy

tuffnftl
Regular

Reged: 05/03/06
Loc: florida,fort laud
      #209507 - 10/02/06 09:26 AM

mrsa is a big problem, have it checked

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5777

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3