Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Gay Men

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good god... 3-class-resistant strain in NYC!
      #134375 - 02/11/05 06:17 PM

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=71000001&refer=&sid=aDEfEZh52ykY

NYC Health Officials Find New, Virulent HIV Strain (Update2)

Feb. 11 (Bloomberg) -- New York City doctors have discovered a previously unseen strain of HIV, which appears to be resistant to three of the four types of anti-viral drugs that combat the disease, and progresses from infection to full-blown AIDS in two or three months, the health department said.

``We've identified this strain of HIV that is difficult or impossible to treat and which appears to progress rapidly to AIDS,'' said New York City Health Commissioner Thomas Frieden.

Frieden said the case, diagnosed in a man in his mid-40s who reported multiple male sex partners and unprotected anal sex -- often while using the drug crystal methamphetamine -- was ``extremely concerning and a wake-up call.''

Antonio Urbina, medical director of HIV education and training at St. Vincent's Catholic Medical Center, site one of Manhattan's largest AIDS clinics, said at a news conference that the patient's use of crystal methamphetamine shows that the drug ``continues to play a significant role in facilitating the transmission of HIV.''

[...]

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Good god... 3-class-resistant strain in NYC! new
      #134414 - 02/12/05 10:32 PM

If you believe that this man's use of crystal meth had nothing to do with the sudden teardown of his immune system, then you're a fool.

This article was a joke. Even Dr. Robert Gallo is saying that there is an overreaction. I think it's too quick and too soon to make this kind of statement when looking at one patient, and one with such a record of damage to his immune system, regardless of any virus. In not one of these articles trumpeting this "Virulent New Strain of AIDS" did they mention how Crystal Meth use carries serious risks to your health. Apparently, all it does (according to the quotes from AIDS health workers) is release your inhibitions so much that you can engage in sex marathons with 10 to 20 people in one night. Well, shit, let me do some crystal then!

We all need to be critically analyzing what we read in the press. We need to ask these questions. Free yourself from buying into what the media and the current state of the health industry want you to buy into.

--Jose

Anonymous
Unregistered

#134484 - 02/15/05 08:07 AM

if it is or if is isn't is not the problem. I think you may be concerned because you feel you are at risk. ( maybe, just a guess ). define what is an exceptle risk for you sexually and then stay within those limits. If there is a problem with that and you have risky behavior think about going to compulsive sex anonymous or sexual addicts anonymouse. If you play safe there will be no more reason to fear all these scary things.

Yeesh
Unregistered

#140514 - 04/25/05 01:40 AM

Who in the hell still uses phrases like "good god" is this an old lady looking for attention?

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2324

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3