Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Gay Men

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

BEGINNING WORKOUT - QUESTIONS
      #134370 - 02/11/05 05:21 PM

8 years POZ now, super healthy and still on my first meds Combivir and Viramune. I've recently lost a lot of weight and drastically changed diet habits. I was a horrible couch potato and munched on chips and pints of Hagen Daaz all the time.

Now that I have lost all this weight and have finally brought my cholesterol level under 200, I wanted to start a workout routine. So I've been getting up earlier in the morning and going to workout before work. I hear this is the best time to workout. I usually have a yogurt smoothie and some fruit and/or a granola bar before a workout.

While I workout, I have been noticing my muscles shake uncontrollably, especially doing arm curls when I work my biceps, and when I do leg presses or the butterfly machine to work my legs and thighs. I also get very nauseous halfway early on in my workout, usually forcing me to quit early.

I'm not loading on weight, I'm starting off very light to get my feet wet and my body tuned up. But does anyone know about this or had it happen to them too? Is this just normal for someone who has stayed sedetary for so long? Will this go away as my body adjusts to being worked out after spending so much time on a couch?

Am I eating too much, too little, not the right stuff before I work out?

All help would be greatly appreciated. I'm an extremely self-concious person and very shy, so asking someone at the gym is out of the question, I don't want to look like an idiot. Plus, I think it's a guy thing to hate admitting a weakness, so I want to look like I know what I'm doing at the gym.

So please help this shy guy make an impact and provide any and all feedback you have. Thank you everyone!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: BEGINNING WORKOUT - QUESTIONS new
      #134437 - 02/13/05 07:29 PM

If you decide to eat prior to workout, allow a good half hr to 45 minutes before you lift. You need to start slow. Your muscles are quivering because you are either lifting too much too quick or overdoing it. Lift every other day - do cardio opposite days (at least 30minutes). Concentrate on eating after workout...have 5-6 six small meals a day with most protien after lifting times. Do different exercises all the time - do3-4 sets with a gradual decline in sets. you will see results - oh by the way...stop eating chips and hagen daz or you will see few results - eat as healthy as you can! Aloha and good luck!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#134524 - 02/16/05 01:46 AM

I agree with the other poster about eating more, and more often. Especially protein, but you also need your carbs for quick energy.

I was always told (and definitely notice) that what you eat 4-6 hours before working out is what provides endurance during the workout session. For me, this means that I cannot go to the gym in the AM usually, and for me evening/night works out the best. "Running on lunch, topped by a light food just 45 min or so before". Then, if possible, more food an hour or 2 after. (I am a night owl by nature). Coffee cups are the morning "weight lifting".

Another point brought up by the other poster, is vary your workout. You may not always be able to do the same thing day after day. If you are anything like me, I cannot work out every day. Just cannot store enough food for daily workouts, no matter how much I seem to eat (5-6000 calories a day sometimes)(genetically high metabolism). If I push too hard for the available food, I get shakey, twitch, muscle cramps. There are also other issues that lead to muscle twitch, like lack of some minerals/vitamins (raped by the meds) and toxins, that are being pushed out of your muscles/tissue.

Another issue is that with any long-term chronic disease, and medications are that you are not being as effecient at absorbing all of the food value and vitamins as you used to be. Exercise helps in this department, and also helps to stabilize your blood sugar. Just be patient, it does take time.

This year will be year 20, since testing pos for me, and have been working out for 17 or so of it. Could hardly function well before starting, and has been priceless to me for survival. At 45, can still catch eyes, just a nice secondary effect.

The thing that got me started in the first place, was back in the days before treatments, was that the guys who lived longest/best, all worked out and took pride that they would. I appreciate the articles in SF gay papers and the inspiration of those who spoke out. I would not be here today. My doctors have said that of all of the things that I do for myself, working out is one thing that I should never stop. I have also gotten some others started, and the change mentally/physically has really been surprising to them.

Everything I have ever learned is only worth something if it is passed on to someone else.

Be sure to discuss your concerns with your physician & if you have access to it, a dietician. Can be of help.

Best to you, and keep going!

Cheers.

Atlanta2005

Reged: 02/27/05
      #135018 - 02/27/05 10:10 PM

Hi, I agree with the other posts in some aspects. I am only a 3 year old HIVer. Nutrition is a total key element in HIVers. I started gym last july have gained 15 lbs of muscle. I am very toned and well its really nice to be noticed... a lot!!!. Dont worry, work out slowly, get a good protein like Whey protein Isolate, Isolate is the best, also add Creatine Monohydrate for muscle energy. By all menas eat FOOD. Protein shakes are not enough, you need solid food. check out menshealth.com they have great info and even have workout programs. Go to this link i am leaving here, all HIV people should know this information about the nutrients you need to put back into your body that HIV destroys.
I dont do every single one, but I have added a lot of them to my regimen. I feel awesome. Also speak to your doctor about a combination of testosterone + deca nandrolone steroid shots. They are super safe, totally recommended for anyone HIV. You will put on a lot of muscle. A good HIV doctor knows this. I have one of the best Atlanta has, I am well taken care of. Dont get scared about this the doses are so low its candy to the body, only abusers suffer the consequences.
check out this site
http://www.larrylands.com/lark/

peace and good luck, if you need to talk about more contact me, I got a person in Austria on the same regimen I have been on, he had no information about all this and his Doctor read all the info I gave the guy on what I was taking and totally agreed with it. so he is also doing all this and says his energy and everything has totally changed for the better.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2403

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3