Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Gay Men

Pages: 1
padude647
Unregistered

Just out of hospital and still Ill!
      #132243 - 12/26/04 07:06 AM

I was admitted to hospital on 12-21 and they administered antibiotics while in hospital. They gave me Levaquin IV and breathing treatments due to severe shortness of breath.
I was discharged the next day on 12-22.
On 12-23, I had a severe breathing attack at wal-mart where 911 had to be called. I was fearful of dying for my breathing was so bad.
I did not have pcp for my cd4 ct is 348. They did however diagnose me with COPD!
My question is, will I recover and be able to return to work. I feel a little better?
While in hospital, they gave me levaquin IV and rocephin but I feel they should have kept me longer!
This breathing episode hit me like a ton of bricks. They found no pneumonia on x-rays but found COPD.
Should the doctors consider a cat scan if breathing gets worse? I am on vacation and want to return to work.
Also, I am on albuterol and prednasone and my ribs are so sore from coughing!
Any feedback would be helpful since I had never experienced anything so wicked as this. Thanks.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jessie
Regular

Reged: 06/15/04
Re: Just out of hospital and still Ill! new
      #132333 - 12/27/04 09:47 AM

Hey Padude,

I have a friend that has COPD and usually it is treated with a nebulizer and breathing treatments on a regular basis...Yes, you should be able to go back to work BUT only once you are feeling better...I agree that the hospital should have kept you longer BUT unfortunately they keep nobody anymore because of the insurances and lack of room in the hospitals...Once you have an atibiotic and breathing treatments, they usually let you go...Have you been referred to see a pulmpnary Doctor...If not, that is something you should look into eith your HIV doc...The pulmonary Doctors will do certain testings to see (ona regular basis) what your oxygen levels are and how you are doing on medications for breathing more clearly...If you SMOKE-YOU NEED TO STOP!!!! If not, that is GOOD!!!!!

I am sorry that you are having such a difficult time with this BUT usually this can be controlled with the proper medications...Talk to your Doc and get the proper treatment you deserve.....you should NOT have to keep visiting the ER with attacks!!! Good luck my friend.....~Jessie~

HIV+ since 2-3-04
"While there is breath, there is hope".
"HIV is what I have, not who I am".

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2199

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3