Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> African Americans

Pages: 1
curious_about

Reged: 03/09/06
HIV in prisons
      #179107 - 03/09/06 08:13 PM

I am interested in HIV healthcare in prisons. I honestly don't know much about what goes on inside, what the difficulties are. I've been thinking about it because I work at a place that provides HIV healthcare and there has been talk about mandatory HIV testing in prisons. I know some states have it.
I can think of some problems with this rule but maybe it could be good for people to know if they are positive??
Any thoughts appreciated.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
Re: HIV in prisons new
      #179204 - 03/10/06 02:06 PM

I would tend to agree that mandatory testing in prisons is a good idea. But...... that said.......what happens next.....is there a plan/organization/medical facility.....that is going to take care of/dispense drugs and keep track of these HIV positive individuals? I have read horror stories about the lack of medical treatment in prisons. The lack of just about everything ....but especially the meds (drugs) needed to treat HIV.

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

Anonymous
Unregistered

#179281 - 03/11/06 10:51 AM

Having hiv in prison can be a nightmare. There are no clean needles. No condom distribution. But both sex and shooting up go on. So it's a great place to get HIV. Plus the treatment if you have HIV can suck. And there is a lot of stigma about being positive in jail. So a real hell hole.

ldiablo
Unregistered

#180497 - 03/17/06 12:26 PM

Mandatory testing anywhere sounds way too much like Big Brother to me. Being + and having spent time behind the walls, finding out your status in prison is difficult. You don't generally ahve the kind of family support on enormally would ther is an intense feeling of isolation and your staus is pretty hard to hide in the joint. The guards treat you differently the medical staff can be insensitive and many inmates will spurn you. The stigma that is attached to HIV/AIDS is 10x that on the outside.

curious_about

Reged: 03/09/06
      #182962 - 03/28/06 08:42 PM

I have definately heard about how hard it is to keep HIV treatment and status private in prisons, if not impossible. Are there any ways to get around the lack of privacy?? It seems like otherwise you are just stuck without treatment because of the environment and that could be a death sentence for some. It seems like people are afraid to get tested because of how hard it is to live with HIV inside. I know some prisons have peer support for prisoners living with HIV. I suppose this doesn’t exist everywhere. Mostly, there is just a lot of heresay about why it is tough to test for HIV and treat HIV in prisons that floats around out there. There needs to be more real voices heard about what the realities are and what can be done to allow people to get the treatment they need.

Darnell
Unregistered

#186212 - 04/13/06 01:04 AM

Working for the Aids Service Group, you hear about a lot of things going on within the "cages." And the issues HIV and AIDS definitely is one of them. And you have to wonder how much the system cares about their people as far as the virus is concerned, due to the laws stating that condoms are not to be passed out inside the walls. And I'm aware that it is a double edged sword, but i'f it's going to happen, it's going to happen, Let's protect the people!

Get free...

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MylesatTheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10857

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3