Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Health and Treatment Issues >> Treatment & Side Effects

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Just_Joe

Reged: 02/21/10
Loc: Brevard County
How to increase CD4 Count?
      #249503 - 02/21/10 08:48 PM

I have had HIV since November 2008 and 3-4 months later am undetectable with CD4 Count in the 200's but my last CD4 count in January 2010 is in the 300's. My doc said my ratio looks good as far as my CD4 count goes and just keep taking my meds, will be the only thing that will help my CD4 count.
Has anyone been doing anything or using anything that may have helped increase their count? I would love to go to my labs in 3 months to find out my count is up to the 400's or higher if possible.
Anyone? Any suggestions?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nnhood

Reged: 10/22/09
Re: How to increase CD4 Count? new
      #249514 - 02/22/10 09:05 AM

Hi Joe, I've never tested positive, but am trying to figure out what is going on with me. In my research with HIV, I would just say to try and support your immune system as much as possible. It might not increase your CD4's as that can take some time.

I would take a good multivitamin or supplement drink like Boost or Ensure, I would take extra Selenium as that has been shown to affect viral replication. Vitamin C, Elderberry Root Extract, Echinacea, Vitamin D, get a Testosterone level check done as well. Acai Berry, Blueberries, good amounts of fruits and vegetables. Good exercise and rest. Make sure you have proper vaccinations.

Just make sure that any supplements you take do not react negatively with your meds.

You probably have read all of this, but that's probably the best think you can do right now is keep your body strong as a foundation to support what the meds are doing in rebuilding your immune system.

Hopefully you'll reach those 400's sooner than later!
Good Luck.

Matt

Just_Joe

#249581 - 02/28/10 10:42 PM

Hey Matt,

Thanks for your advice.
I will definitely check out some of those supplements like Selenium, Elderberry and others. So far, the only thing I can't take with hiv meds is the Echinacea as stated by my doctor. So, not really sure but I guess I should take his advice on it for now.

So, your not testing positive? Have you had any symptoms that your doc can't figure out?

Just_Joe

#249582 - 02/28/10 10:48 PM

Wow!
I figured I would have gotten several replies with some great advice from people living with hiv with proven results and making living with hiv and increasing CD4 counts even better for me and other readers that I know would be interested.

hopefulone
Master

Reged: 12/05/08
Loc: NY, NY
      #249593 - 03/01/10 10:22 PM

it may take at least a year or more to see the kind of increase you are hoping for--a doctor should be able to confirm this for you.

If you haven't yet obtain the counsel and guidance of a doctor who specializes in infectious diseases and HIV.

I have been on Atripla since April and my CD4 has steadily increased. Its a marathon, not a spring my friend.

There are certainly a number of vitamins you could take to assist. Don't expect overnight results. Exercise. Eat well and healthy. Minimize alcohol and cut out smoking and recreational drugs if applicable.

Best

Just_Joe

#249608 - 03/02/10 08:00 PM

Hey There hopefulone

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.
What is your before and current CD4 count?
What type of vitamin supplements are you using to help yourself?
I have been doing a multivitamin, zinc, garlic and Omega 3.

August69
All Star

Reged: 03/22/08
      #249722 - 03/11/10 04:43 AM

You may want to check to make sure the supplements you are on are not interferring with the medication. I am on Atripla, and Garlic and Grapefruit interact in a negative way with the medication. I know it may seem to be beneficial to take some of the over the counter supplements, but you need to make sure you are not counter productive. Just a thought.

I have been poz since June 2007 and started meds in Dec 07. It took a year and a half for the CD4 count to start to increase substantially. When I started I was 220cd4 and 110,000 VL.. currently at I think it was 550 cd4 and undetectable VL.. take your time, it is not a race. Also remember the numbers just tell a window view of what the virus is doing..They are not the end all and be all.. Just read some of the posts here, to hear about some of the longer term side effects, and complications. Hope you are doing well.

Brad

Just_Joe

#249732 - 03/11/10 09:19 PM

Hey Brad,

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

I told my doc I was taking garlic and never mentioned it would be a negative thing to take with Atripla. He did say not to take any herbal supplements. Have you heard the same thing?
What supplements are you currently using?

To good health
Joe

hopefulone
Master

#249745 - 03/12/10 10:19 PM

350, now 450
selennium, acia berry, vitamin d, c, calcium, daily multivitamin, fish oil omega three

Just_Joe

#249751 - 03/13/10 01:31 PM

hopefulone

Thats awesome with a cd4 count of 450. Did you hiv doc tell you to take those supplements to help your count?
How long did it take you to get from 350 to 450?
Are you doing any exercises?
What would you say would be the best help for achieving the nice increase in your count?

Thanks for your message, it was awesome!

Keep up the good work.

hopefulone
Master

#249803 - 03/18/10 10:39 PM

the only thing my doctor initially suggested was selennium....and of course exxercise, eating healthy, etc. etc. as well as a multivitamin daily.

after reading about the issues some have had with bone density as a result of meds, i decided on my own to start taking a vitamin d and calcium pill daily. as i was in the store there was a sale on other antioxident producing pills like acai and i figured what the hell.

i started taking fish oil as i run and work out often and thought that would be good. long story short i have run everything by my dctor and she was pleased.

i just had blood work taken last week, so we will see where i am most recently...

Just_Joe

#249837 - 03/22/10 07:14 PM

hopefulone

I was just reading that Wheatgrass might be an option, still checking it out though.

Good deal, looking forward to hearing your results.

penn

Reged: 12/29/10
      #253717 - 12/29/10 02:08 AM

I would like to share with you I also have been postive for 3 years cd4 started aroung 688 and know im down to 350 still know meds my doctor is talking about started meds next month however boosting immunity: lots of orange juice,brocilli,green tea, honey and groung cinniomn on toast and eat it regular. don't foret lots of rest and keep stress away

angeleyes

Reged: 02/26/11
      #268339 - 10/19/12 04:03 AM

My t/c count was 866 then I was stressed and depressed about having HIV - so they went down to ZERO t/cell count. I got very ill - Then I had to start over again - take medication, rest, eat well, and keep stress out of my life. Now my t/c count is 1,032 and my v/l is undetectable and living with AIDS for 20 years and very happy. I hope this is helpful - take your medication that is the only way your t/c will go up- the medications block the hiv from replicating each med. has a purpose I take 5 different meds. it took me a long time to adjust my life to taking pills for the rest of my life but I want to live for a long time and my son he's 28 yrs. he was a young boy when I was diagnosed and I said NO this is not taking my life. I need to live. so I really hope this helps take your medication Its the only way to increase your t/c.

krdillon

Reged: 01/26/13
Loc: Houston, Tx
Re: How to increase CD4 Count?
      #270360 - 01/26/13 09:50 AM

Hi Joe, hope that you're well and have been improving the cd4 count since your last post. Interesting that today, 1/26/12, i'm facing the identical situation/puzzle that you originally posted. Diagnosed in feb 2012, placed on Atripla, VL became undetectable after 3mths and has remained. However, the cd4 is still hovering around the 200mark inspite of living as healthy as possible. How are you doing after all the great advice received from the responses?

--------------------
-keith-

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bogart, TheBody, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 39317

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3