Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
Buzz1

Reged: 08/10/12
Exposed through Oral Sex?
      #266048 - 09/03/12 02:54 AM

I was just diagnosed as HIV positive about three weeks ago. It must have been a very recent exposure since I was testing negative in mid-late July but for about a month this summer I was very ill (fevers, rash, fatigue) so I was seroconverting and as of August 14 I tested positive.

I am fairly certain I can trace my exposure to a very, very unusual incident I had in the spring-I was receiving oral sex from a partner and after a few minutes I saw some blood on my penis. His mouth was bleeding due to dental work. I didn't think anything of it so I cleaned up really well and we stopped.

I have heard that it is theoretically possible to be exposed to HIV through unprotected oral sex but apparently it is extremely rare. However, I'm told that the blood may have entered through the mucous membrane and now here I am.

Ironically I have been extremely careful about sex since I came out over twenty years ago so I was shocked to receive the news that I'm positive.

Has anyone else been infected in a similarly rare, unusual manner?

It's almost like being struck by lightening or having a safe fall on one's head when walking down the street-it is still a bit unfathomable for me to process fully.

Any other stories, advice, or experiences to share are very welcome.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sherezade
Master

Reged: 03/28/12
Re: Exposed through Oral Sex? new
      #266102 - 09/04/12 09:59 PM

I'm certainly not an expert, but the situation that you described is extremely unusual. What I've read is there's not a single case reported of getting infected by receptive oral sex. But who knows... are you sure you didn't have any other risk exposure?

Buzz1

#266260 - 09/05/12 10:10 AM

I have been very consistently safe for all my life. I have heard that oral sex can be a means through which HIV can be transmitted albeit an unusual one. Open cuts in the mouth for example can allow semen into the blood stream-my case was the reverse and yes, very unusual.

ashler1977
Guardian

Reged: 05/18/12
Loc: Europe
      #266377 - 09/09/12 08:35 AM

Quote:

What I've read is there's not a single case reported of getting infected by receptive oral sex

Sherezade, I guess you wanted to say there are no reported cases of getting infected through INSERTIVE oral case, like in the situation of Buzz1. However, there are cases of people geting infected through RECEPTIVE oral sex (the person who does the sucking)

In the case of Buzz1, if there was evident blood of the partner present in his penis, this could be a route for infection. The case is still very unusual. Buzz1 didn't specify if he performed oral on his partner as well (receptive oral). This could also be a route for infection.

@Buzz1:

Have you talked to this partner to confirm if he is indeed Positive? That would be the only way to confirm if the infection came from this exposure.

Have you had any other type of sexual activity between May-August? There's a window period of 3 months so the Negative test you had mid July covers only the period from mid April to mid July provided you didn't have any unprotected exposures during that time.

All the best.

--------------------
Oral Sex: What's the Real Risk for HIV?
http://www.thebody.com/content/art58210.html

AIDS2HIV
Legend

Reged: 12/19/05
Re: Exposed through Oral Sex? *DELETED* new
      #266410 - 09/10/12 12:50 PM

Post deleted by AIDS2HIV

--------------------
Thinking about meeting someone from this site? Read my profile before you do.

ashler1977
Guardian

#266412 - 09/10/12 01:39 PM

Quote:

i would like to see the evidence of infection via oral, regardless of giving or receiving... theres been claims, but none have ever been validated or proven...so, can you quote the source?

sure:

http://bmj-sti.highwire.org/content/77/5/307.full
http://www.aidsmap.com/Oral-sex-risk-very-low-but-not-zero-concludes-systematic-review/page/1432786/
http://hivinsite.ucsf.edu/insite?page=pr-rr-05

those are expert's opinions on the matter with quotes to reported cases.

the fact is that oral sex is an extremely low risk activity. but this does not matter when someone has the very bad luck to be the 1 in 10,000 person (or more) to be infected in this way. I personally prefer to recommend people using condoms for oral to reduce the risk to zero, rather than saying that "oral sex is no risk" like unfortunately certain people in some sites (e.g. medhelp.org) irresponsibly do. After all, unprotected oral sex is also an open door to other STIs.

--------------------

ashler1977
Guardian

#266413 - 09/10/12 01:48 PM

Also:

"(...) 16 cases reported no anal sex and 20 cases reported only protected anal sex and unprotected oral sex. In total this represents 5.2% of those MSM reports where the question "Does the patient believe himself to have been infected through oral sex?" was answered. We are aware that, for half, the question was not answered, and if we classified those reports as not infected through oral sex, then 2.6% (36 of 1359) were probably infected through this route. The indication given by these UK surveillance data is that oral sex carries a small but real risk"

http://sti.bmj.com/content/80/4/324.1.full

--------------------

AIDS2HIV
Legend

Reged: 12/19/05
Re: Exposed through Oral Sex? *DELETED* new
      #266472 - 09/11/12 10:08 PM

Post deleted by AIDS2HIV

--------------------
Thinking about meeting someone from this site? Read my profile before you do.

ashler1977
Guardian

#267179 - 09/22/12 05:37 PM

Quote:

ummm, i mean actual science, findings, etc.... reports arent accurate... many are so ashamed of how they got it, they "save face" and report whatever their conscience can handle... to many people saying "i had oral sex" is easier to swallow/accept...

good point. and I would agree some people may be lying. but why I should think ALL the persons reporting this as their only risk are lying?

Quote:

if oral sex was anything serious to worry about when it comes to transmission this whole planet would be dead already because it happens so frequently on a daily basis, combined with 50+ yrs of the virus.... its just not feasible on any grounds.

all experts agree oral sex is a low risk activity, and because of that, in the vast majority of cases oral sex does not end in an infection. now, if a person eyaculates in someone's mouth, and he is in the first weeks of infection with millions of virus per ml3, and the receiver has bledding gums, etc. then infection may occur in such scenario. there are plenty of stories in the Web regarding hiv and oral sex, and I don't think ALL these stories are not true.

--------------------

Buzz1

#267728 - 10/08/12 12:56 AM

What I have learned over the past month is that if someone is HIV positive (especially newly infected with a very high viral load) and their mouth is bleeding while performing oral sex on someone, the virus can indeed travel through the urethra and penetrate the mucous membrane. This is even more likely if the penis is uncircumcised.

Yes it is extremely unusual, but it also demonstrates that there is only SAFER sex, not SAFE sex.

wiccaguy78

Reged: 10/20/12
      #268397 - 10/20/12 07:48 PM

when was your exposure and how long did it take for you to seroconvert.

wiccaguy78

Reged: 10/20/12
      #268398 - 10/20/12 07:54 PM

you should tell your story on medhelp.org..they say oral sex had NO risk, not matter what!!

ashler1977
Guardian

#268544 - 10/24/12 07:19 AM

Quote:

What I have learned over the past month is that if someone is HIV positive (especially newly infected with a very high viral load) and their mouth is bleeding while performing oral sex on someone, the virus can indeed travel through the urethra and penetrate the mucous membrane. This is even more likely if the penis is uncircumcised.

Yes it is extremely unusual, but it also demonstrates that there is only SAFER sex, not SAFE sex.

I believe your story, but some people here and in another forums will label you as a liar because they think "oral sex = no risk".

You're not a liar. Your story proves that oral sex is still a risk (and is still a risk for WHO, CDC and thousands of other institutions worldwide). I think is always better to advice people to protect themselves instead telling them "you had no risk, you don't need to test".

Wish you all the best.

PS. You said you get this through someone performing oral sex on you, and this girl had a dental work before. Does it means there was a LOT of blood on your penis? Just curious.

--------------------

ashler1977
Guardian

#268545 - 10/24/12 07:24 AM

Quote:

you should tell your story on medhelp.org..they say oral sex had NO risk, not matter what!!

don't bother telling your story at medhelp. those jokers will ban you and label you as a liar. they think to know more than the World Health Organization (WHO). So what says WHO about HIV transmission?

"HIV can be transmitted through unprotected sexual intercourse (vaginal or anal), AND ORAL SEX with an infected person (...)"

http://www.who.int/features/qa/71/en/index.html

"oral sex = no risk". If that was the case, why thousands of agencies didn't change their guidelines?

--------------------

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9477

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3