HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
notinterested
All Star

Reged: 09/07/11
Increasing CD4 count
      #271115 - 03/13/13 04:19 PM

Hello everyone,
I usually come on here and offer support and advice, and now I'm looking for some. I got my labs back and for the second time in a row by CD4 dropped. I've chosen not to know the number but from pestering my partner and getting hints, I think I'm around the 600- 700 range. Both my partner and my Doctor know they will tell me the number if at anytime I should be concerned. Anyway's my Doctor nor my partner are concerned but I don't like the fact that the last 2 labs it has dropped both times. I haven't been sick. I've actually been working out like crazy and have been eating well and getting plenty of sleep. On the day of the labs, i was fasting as he was testing my lipids as well as for HIV. I was also a little frustrated as I had to wait an hour to get my blood drawn and I hate being at the testing center. Anyways, even though no one is concerned I want to get ahead of the game and get the CD4 to go up. I know that different times of the day could affect the number and probably many other factors. I started taking multi vitamins again and only drink bottled water. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on what I can do to get that number up. I plan on starting yoga again and mediitating if that helps. I also suffer from anxiety but don't think I will take the medicine for that anywhere near the time I take the Atripla. Anyways, sorry for rambling. Thank you for reading.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cm82391
Regular

Reged: 03/08/12
Loc: Reno NV
Re: Increasing CD4 count new
      #271119 - 03/14/13 12:38 AM

A normal CD4 count ranges from 500–1,000 cells/mm3.

My last blood work showed that my CD4 had dropped by just over 100 but was still in the 700 range. My doctor did not seem concerned at all.

I've been going to the gym and working out for the first time in my life so I'm hoping that will boost them even higher! I would assume with eating right and exorcising properly would boost them. I have an appt at the beginning of April. I'll let you know if it works!!!

crabmanModerator

Reged: 03/10/11
      #271125 - 03/14/13 09:22 AM

If you're CD4s are in the range you think they are, then that's great! I understand about wanting to keep them up, but I don't worry too much about the count as long as it doesn't drift down too far. There are so many things that can throw off a CD4 count. I realized that when I get my labs done in the afternoon they would come in lower than when I did labs in the morning. If you've had an illness, emotional stress, etc, it can affect it.

I do take Cat's Claw tincture. Can't say for sure how much affect it has on the CD4s, but I think it does help the immunity system.

notinterested
All Star

Reged: 09/07/11
      #271185 - 03/17/13 12:46 PM

Thank you both. II appreciate the responses.

Edited by PeaceandLove (03/17/13 12:47 PM)

iam1
Fanatic

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
      #271375 - 03/27/13 01:29 PM

I'm gonna be the butt end of the joke about your's (and everybody else's) CD4 cell count.

OMG!!! Your CD4 count has dropped! It's gone from 8,372 to 8,371. Call out the National Guard. We've got to get you in isolation NOW!!! You're contagious. You could be spreading all sorts of diseases to everyone you meet.

What's wrong with the above statement? Several things actually.

1) A CD4 count will NEVER be in the 8,000 range for anybody! CD4 cells range from 0 to about 1500 in everyone no matter what. There MAY be the few with higher counts, but I've never heard of anyone having a count above 2000.

2) The National Guard isn't called out to isolate contagious people. We have Daffy Duck as Duck Dodgers to do that. Actually, people with reportable contagious diseases are followed by the nice, overworked, underpaid staffs from your local health departments. Once you get into care for HIV you're generally off their lists unless you contract something else.

3) Everyone spreads diseases to everyone else they meet everyday. Simply breathing the same air can be a mode of transmission. Shaking hands. Using the same doorknob. Sitting on the same toilet seat can transmit SOME diseases but NOT HIV!

There are some good articles on the CD4 cell -
http://www.thebody.com/content/6110/cd4-t-cell-tests.html
http://www.aidsmap.com/CD4-cell-counts/page/1044596/

I like the Wikipedia article (pretty picture of CD4), but it may be too technicle for many people - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD4

The thing is your CD4 count will change constantly. EVERYTHING in life affects it to some degree from waking up in the morning to going to bed in the evening. You have to know that the numbers are going to go up and down all the time and be happy with that. It's not like the count is going to remain the same from one test from one day from one minute to the next.

As long as the counts remain above 350 (preferably as high as possible) then you're going to be okay.

Will you get nervous about each blood test? Yes. Should you get nervous about each blood test? No. But, you will, because you care about yourself. As someone who has had more than a couple dozen blood tests (okay, I passed the 50 count a while ago) I still get nervous about mine. I know that the clinic will contact me IF there is ever any reason.

What can you do to keep the number as high as possible for as long as possible? Eat right. Get excercise. DON'T STRESS! I tell this to my local people constantly. Bottled water may be necessary depending on where you live. A multivitamin can be very benficial. People in general don't get a balanced diet and proper nutrition. People with HIV who do are that much more rare. Check with your doctor before taking anything including a vitamin.

And, you know what can help? Laughter! It may not be the best medicine but it helps immensely! Most people in the world don't laugh nearly enough. It releases stress and raises your dopamine levels. Laughing physically makes you feel better. People look at me a little strangely when I tell them I get my daily dose of cartoons (I'm very near 50), but I have one of the lowest stress levels of anyone I know.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6557

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3