HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
oldwoman
Guardian

Reged: 05/12/07
Loc: Phila,Pa
This constant itch
      #235780 - 01/27/08 08:40 PM

I've talked to others who complain about itching on their legs,and I have it too,it's constant but usually bearable,today is one of the bad days and I can't stop scratching at myself(I feel like I need a flea collar on)It's just won't stop.I've tried lots of different creams and lotions,some work for a little while but then stop,the Dr doesn't want to try prednisone or creams with cortisone in them.Does anybody know what will stop it?I took a Benedryl,may not stop the itch but it knocks me out so I don't feel it.Does anybody have any suggestions?Anything that works for you?

Your itchy friend
Terry

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
whocanfigure
Guru

Reged: 09/01/07
Re: This constant itch new
      #235785 - 01/28/08 01:15 AM

sounds as something topical may help. Have you tried Benadryl cream? How about a bath with baking soda, then something topical? Do you have dry patches of skin to go with it? I use this product call "body butter" by Clinique..not too cheap..but good stuff. Also Bath and Body makes some awesome non-dry skin stuff. Just a thought. (((: Bernie

picaropsv
Regular

Reged: 01/05/08
Loc: Spain
      #235788 - 01/28/08 03:36 AM

Hey Terry and all!

I understand your frustration with the itchy skin problem. I had a lot of problems on my legs a couple of years before being diagnosed. The MDs could not offer any solutions besides lathing on industrial amounts of Lanacane. I had an allergy test done but that didn't come up with any clear answers either. I tried bathing with black walnut bark tea, sage tea, yogurt serum, aloe vera. In the end, most of the itching has gone away, maybe because I have improved my diet (which wasn't that bad to begin with!). I even wore socks on my hands at night to not itch at my legs while I slept! The causes could be environmental, could be that your washing machine does not rinse the clothes as well as it should or the stockings you use are irritating your legs. Could be something you eat regularly. You'd have to do a lot of self experimenting to find the source of the problem, but in the meantime, perhaps coconut oil or soap with aloe vera will help you keep the skin moisturized and free of irritants. If you want more details, let me know, I'd be happy to share my experiences.

--------------------
peace,
picaro.

Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
      #235792 - 01/28/08 07:58 AM

Just Picaropsv said, it could be anything. My husband had that problem all over a couple of years back and it drove him nuts. I thought he would scratch his skin off. They put him under ultraviolet lights, biospied some of the bumps in case they were insects, etc. I changed laundry soaps, bath soaps, etc. It seemed to be worst in the winter. Most times I don't think a cause truely gets found and I think it just gets chalked up to 'HIV itch'.

We tried the Aveeno - Oatmeal baths and then the lotion. It helped some. I know it's more than bothersome and I hope you find relief soon.

oldwoman
Guardian

#235800 - 01/28/08 03:59 PM

Thanks guys,I appreciate all your suggestions,I haven't tried the oatmeal or baking soda bath yet so that's next on my list.Like I said I've tried many different lotions,I don't have any dry skin patches or bumps or anything like that.Actually the only marks on my skin are from where I scratched at myself.I think the socks on my hands sounds like a good idea,I already keep my nails real short but still manage to rip my skin apart.I'm sure this is painting a real pretty picture...

sunflower
Grand Master

Reged: 08/31/06
Loc: AK
      #235838 - 01/28/08 11:21 PM

Terry -
is it foliculitis? where the hair folicles do something? My legs itch at times so bad I scrath them until they nearly bleed - I thought it was just me - at least now I know I have good company! How are you otherwise?? Take good care and enjoy your oatmeal bath~
Lor

--------------------
Focus on your potential.

whocanfigure
Guru

Reged: 09/01/07
      #235841 - 01/29/08 12:08 AM

Good call Lor..hey where have you been?
Bernie

sunflower
Grand Master

Reged: 08/31/06
Loc: AK
      #235928 - 01/29/08 11:57 PM

Well - I have been getting used ot being married, buying a new house, falling into a funk (I am going to a pyschiatrist Thursday) and trying to get in shape to start real training for a marathon! I have been reading the posts but haven't felt I had much to add lately. I see you and Terry are still being your truly supportive wonderful selves!!
I am really enjoying being married and am not sure what the funk is about. I was on paxil for over a year and stopped in September - I was pretty even keeled for awhile and now I can see all the stuff that is going right in my life, and I still just want to hide in bed or actually just disconnect from everything and stop participating - ??? Who knows -
Today was an ok day - I need to focus on the good, focus on the good and train my brain to let the other go....
When I start to share it sounds, to me, like that far side comic of what a dog hears "blah blah Ginger blah blah" , which does make me smile....
What are you up to??? tell me how the new job is going and if you have been out dancing - tell me about the grand kids Terry -
My three for today! dinner with a good friend, sunshine on the snow covered mountains with deep blue sky beyond, and going to the gym this morning. How about you???

--------------------
Focus on your potential.

Monchhichi
Guru

Reged: 02/07/05
Loc: Florida
      #235931 - 01/30/08 01:43 AM

Esmerelda...you are sooo right about the "HIV itch"!!! My husbands dermatologist says it is extremely common for HIV+ patients to have a multitude of skin problems. We have her down for regular appointments now to have her check in case we missed something. There were like 3-4 different situations going on with my husband and the derm cleared it up. If this makes anyone feel better he carries a back scratcher with him at all times. He still has mildly itchy skin but nothing compared to what it was before. He actually had patches of dry, red, scaly skin! If he has a flare up we get it treated right away.

--------------------
Never forget: Life is too precious to take for granted.

Florida69
Legend

Reged: 02/19/07
      #235956 - 01/30/08 09:47 AM

You know I kept getting rashes there for a while, I finally started using dial antibacterial soap that seems to help a bit. Also, I might suggest finding one with a mosturizer. You guys are the best..... My three for today, is starting changing my eating habits to be healthy, good friends, and traveling to Miami this weekend... D

garret99

Reged: 01/31/08
      #236111 - 02/01/08 03:31 AM

i had a horrible itch that seemed to take over my life, and since i live in thailand i could buy all kinds of meds. and i did.however when i had this itch i did not know i had hiv. so about a month into it i crashed and spent a month in the hospital, i was lucky and the meds got me to a close to zero viral load and have not had the itch since . so i am wondering if this itch could have somthing to do with your viral load?? good luck

mauka

Reged: 01/16/08
      #236127 - 02/01/08 03:17 PM

what meds are ya on if I may ask? i have been having the same prob since i started Atripla 5 days ago.

oldwoman
Guardian

#236134 - 02/01/08 06:43 PM

My viral load is undetectable and CD4 is 515,I'm on Epzicom and Kaletra have been on them for a few years now,before that I was on Combivar and Kaletra.I've had the itch on both regimens.
I did get some relief after the baking soda bath,thanks for that suggestion.

pozartistsd
Expert

Reged: 01/04/08
Loc: San Diego, CA
      #236279 - 02/05/08 02:14 PM

hey, this may be too late but anyhow, sounds like you tried the things i did but just in case see my reply to:
switched to Atripla! wooohoooooo
(on page 1, for now anyways)
good luck!
OH, PS: i noticed myself being super hypersensitive to anything containing elastic or polyester or similar man-made fabrics. I thought it was the detergent (ironically i switched to Tide Free from Tide reg. and when i switched back to reg i noticed an improvement with itching but not great). sorry for the visual but... I switched from briefs (containing tons of man-made fibers) to all cotton boxers and the rash and itching subsided greatly. funny the major itch/rash regions were at the leg/waist areas where the elastic was tight. may of been an initial reaction to the meds (itching started when i started meds), but who knows. i do know that if i wear anything for an extended period of time without laundering between wearings i itch like crazy, even with daily (or more) showers. baths work better than showers for my pesty itching. ok tmi! good luck

mountainman

Reged: 10/16/07
Loc: minnesota
      #247905 - 10/08/09 03:10 PM

When it gets as bad for me as your describing, I draw a warm bath with about a half gallon container of Epson Salt.

It draws those toxins out of the layer of skin. Stay in the bath for about a half hour or so. I just read a good motorcycle mag. Then pat yourself dry. Then coat your body with light Olive Oil. I know that sounds nuts, but it's a natural oil. Wear some loose clothing until it soaks in.

Works for me, and on small spots, I use Natural oils of Peppermint for the one small spot on my left arm where they always give me the flu shots etc.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13446

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3