Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

How soon would antibodies be detectable after ARS?
      #99335 - 05/28/04 09:46 PM

I believe I went through ARS in December, my test in March was negetive. Would antibodies start immediately after ARS?
I have heard that HIV does not wait to infect so why does the window period last so long? My test was exactly 96 days after exposure. This is almost 14 weeks, some say this is conclusive yet others say 6 months. I am confused why is this possible for some and not others?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shadow1
Legend

Reged: 12/06/00
Re: How soon would antibodies be detectable after ARS? new
      #99336 - 05/28/04 10:21 PM

13 weeks or 86 days is conclusive, if you tested negative it is a conclusive and you do not need to test again.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Gman please elaborate! new
      #99338 - 05/29/04 12:27 AM

I love to hear that Bill don't get me wrong but why is the 6 month window even mentioned then?
I can I be sure I am not in that house looking out of that window? I feel good one day and then convince myself I am dieing the next. Please explain why I can be considered conclusive. Thanks Bill you are a saint.

shadow1
Legend

Reged: 12/06/00
Re: Gman please elaborate! new
      #99341 - 05/29/04 09:57 AM

Through the over 20 years of HIV there have been many findings and advancements in knowledge and testing. When I first tested you had to test out to 12 mos, then it went down to 6mo, now it is conclusive at 3mo and in some places 6 weeks. The CDC and others have not gone to the 6 week rule yet, but there are a few that have. The tests have become much more refined over the years, it has gone from 2 weeks waiting period for results to the test I use now which I can give the results in 20 min.
Over the many years of this disease the science and medical profession has found out much about how it actually is contracted and how it is not. There have been numerous studies, many papers about findings in the last 9 months let alone the last 2 years on the findings that are published on line and in the medical journals.
So let me sum this up short and sweet, I do read everything that is reported in the medical journals and on line because that is my job. I believe in the 12 week 86 day conclusive just like the CDC (Centers foe Disease Control) and until they change to 6 weeks I will still be on 3 mos. Furthermore it is necessary for me to know everything I can get my eyes on because even though this disease has been around for over 20 years people are still uneducated on how it is contracted and are afraid to test even though is a very difficult disease to be infected with. Maybe someday there will be cure, but until then I keep reading, learning, helping and staying healthy.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#99343 - 05/29/04 12:29 PM

Bill, thank you for taking the time to explain to me and so many others who get scared and fret over the things you probably dismiss. You are a kind soul. Take care of yourself.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#99376 - 05/30/04 02:34 PM

happy you are well educated on HIV. Why the 86 day rule sticks in someones head is an amazing thing.You are corret about the tests but one has to realize the CDC is talking world wide. yes test up to 86 days if you must but a 6 or 8 wk test will be accurate. I would avocate for the mental health of the WW to believe you 6 or 8 wk test but to employ safe sex with all until 12wks. in case you are the one in a million. Now having said that i'm sure you will focus on the one in a million. Well how much would you bet if your chances were only one in a million?

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
3 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6943

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3