Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

dry metallic tasting white tongue? thrush?
      #99052 - 05/23/04 11:26 PM

recently i developed slightly white yellowish thin coating to my tongue. i've been a pretty regular smoker for ten years, and quit cold turkey when i saw this. i can brush my tongue to the point where it is ALMOST gone, but not entirely. then like 10 minutes later i start to get that dry metallic bitter taste back in my mouth. during the days i can tell it's drier than normal. my stomach is not feeling 100% either. i don't know if these are related. i'm not eating like i used to (i'm a big eater). i am at risk for hiv as i had unprotected sex with 6 women last year.

could this tongue problem be from something else besides hiv symptoms? i'm terrified, please help.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: dry metallic tasting white tongue? thrush? new
      #99064 - 05/24/04 09:00 AM

Of course the colored tongue can be from other things. Most people don't even notice a colored tongue until a scare like hiv arises. look at
possible allergic rhinitis, too much bread in the diet, a GI problem, etc.
As far as the metallic taste, antibiotics can cause that. As for the stomach, nerves are most common culprit.
Congrats on quitting smoking !

Dutchman
Unregistered

Re: dry metallic tasting white tongue? thrush? new
      #99071 - 05/24/04 01:16 PM

Hello Anonymous,

The chance, after 6 unprotected sexual episodes with woman which hiv status you don't know, to be fine is so much bigger than the chance you have caught the virus.
The fact that you have this problem with your tongue does not change this dramatically.

But already one unprotected sexual contact poses someone at some risk, so you should test to be sure. If 'last year" means 2003, than you have waited 3 months because of the window period and you can just test immidiately.

Greetings,
Dutchman

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12581

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3