Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

pharyngitis
      #27023 - 01/15/02 02:39 AM

Dear Forum:
I have had a sore throat for 3 weeks. It feels very dry and I have phlem and mucus on the back of my throat. I can even get it off with a Q-tip but it comes back. Im worried cause I have no symptoms of a cold or flu, and neither of my two children have any colds or flu. Now im getting headaches. I dont have any rashes but my body itches all over when I excercize. Could this be ARS
Please Help
Thank You

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
anxietyboy

Reged: 01/07/02
Re: pharyngitis new
      #27024 - 01/15/02 08:20 AM

Need more info... When/What was your possible exposure???

Anonymous
Unregistered

#27035 - 01/15/02 11:05 AM

Hi anxietyboy: thanks for your concearn
Exposure would be unprotected vaginal sex ongoing with same partner

anxietyboy

Reged: 01/07/02
      #27045 - 01/15/02 02:30 PM

OK I'm not a doctor, but after weeks of reading, I can give you a few pointers...

First question a doctor would ask you is about your partner. Does you know his status? I'm guessing no since you did not mention it. I'm also guessing you do not want to ask.

So the other question is do you have any ideas about his previous behavior. Do you have any idea or indication about whether he has used IV drugs, or has had unprotected sex with men? Or sex with men at all? If yes you are at a higher risk, because you are having uprotected sex.

As for ARS, since EVERY symptom of ARS can be manifested other diseases/ailment you cannot assume ARS based on symptoms alone. Doctors do a risk assesment, check for symptoms, and THEN do testing to determine ARS.

The last part is the most critical because only testing can tell you for sure...

ARS is usually really bad (what my doctor calls: knock you on your a--) flu (fever, mucles aches, sore throat) and maybe a rash on your trunk. At least half on people infected get ARS maybe as many as 90%. However some people have either very mild or no symptoms.

In your case, it's very difficult to tell. ARS is usally more than a sore throat, but not always. As for the mucus that just maybe a byproduct of having a sore throat. Sometimes when people are stressed they develop dry mouth that make mucus sticky, and saliva stringy.

In my case I has a sore throat that made my tongue go completely white. My doctor gave me antibiotics that stopped my sore throat and cleared up my tongue.

As for rashes: the ARS rashes usually do not itch. If you itch after working out, it's probably sweat reacting to your skin or something on it. Besides if it was ARS it would not come and got but stick with you a while.

Your headaches are also probably due to stress. As yourself this question: When you wake up do you have a headaches of does it come on after you are awake. If yes it probably your own mind rather than something else....

While you are most likely fine you are obviously worried, and that wil not go away until you make a few hard choices...

1. Talk with your parnter, be frank about your fears, and ask him direct questions, and get answers. No man is worth your life or your sanity.

2. Use condoms, you risk drops down soooo much for you if you do. Especially since you are a woman,

3. Get tested, it is the only way to be sure. You should probably do the first two first, but testing is the only way to have complete peace of mind....

I hope this helps sweetie, I can't give you definte answers, neither can a doctor. I hope this makes the picture a little bit cleared.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4267

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3