Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
mrlife

Reged: 06/06/12
does this sound like an hiv acute infection?
      #263571 - 06/06/12 06:48 AM

hi, i had un protected sex with my gf the other week. She claims she is clean. Shortly after 2 weeks, i have muscle and joint pain mainly in my arms is been 2 weeks already, i am still experiencing uncomfotable feeling around my neck and pain in my arms is it too early to have a test now? Ive never hadl these pain before. i had no idea what other possible cause can make me feel like this other than HIV.. PLease ca can you advise me. Not had any fevers or rashes just muscle ache

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
KenC
Fanatic

Reged: 05/30/12
Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: does this sound like an hiv acute infection? new
      #263591 - 06/06/12 04:10 PM

Nope. body aches, especially particularly in your arms and uncomfortable feeling around your neck is not something you should be alarmed about. In almost all cases, the first symptoms that strikes is a fever. And even if you did get a fever, that along cannot directly indicate HIV.

bartlebyAdministrator
Admin

Reged: 01/19/10
      #263592 - 06/06/12 04:11 PM

"clean" is relative and can be offensive because it implies those with an STD are "dirty." so careful throwing that word around, though i know you didn't mean to offend.

that being said, HIV doesn't have any specific symptoms. there are many causes for neck, arm and joint pain besides HIV.

as for your risk, unprotected insertive vaginal sex carries a per-act risk estimate of about 5 out of 10,000 exposures. and that's from a person confirmed positive. so the fact that you don't know lowers your chances even more.

bottom line, having unprotected sex was indeed a risk, but the odds are very much in your favor. the window period for testing is 3 months. but usually people test positive by week 6, so if you test negative by then, chances are your test at 3 months will also be negative. good luck and practice safer sex!

--------------------
Bartleby at The Body
Bulletin Board Administrator

Sherezade
Master

Reged: 03/28/12
      #263600 - 06/06/12 11:27 PM

It sounds more like stress symptoms to me.
Just take the test in three months. It's very unlikely that you've got HIV from just one exposure. If you find yourself stressing too much about it, you could take a 4th generation test at four weeks. That will give you a very reliable advance of your status.
Be well.

mrlife

Reged: 06/06/12
      #263604 - 06/07/12 03:47 AM

Thank you all for your help and advice. I really do appreciate it.

OnceAScaredMomma
Regular

Reged: 05/31/12
      #263617 - 06/07/12 11:39 PM

I can tell you - from experience - that stress can reak havoc on your body. I had sore muscles, sore throat, tonsillitis, night sweats, fever, rash, mouth sores, uti....I think you get the point. After a year of fear, I got tested and guess what...all stress. I was negative! Symptoms are not a good indicator at all. I am sure hat all is good. Get tested at the 6 week and 3 month mark. I believe it will be negative for u 2!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8374

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3