Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
austerlitz

Reged: 07/10/11
4 year symptoms?
      #256520 - 07/10/11 08:07 PM

I have a question. Say I became infected with HIV 4 years ago, and for those 4 years I never had symptoms. Then one day, symptoms began to start. What would those symptoms be? I don't mean what would the symptoms of AIDS be. Just the late symptoms of HIV. I have read they could be swollen lymph nodes, rashes, headaches, etc.

Can someone here please list all of the symptoms that people have experience like say, around 4 years after becoming infected?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
crabmanModerator

Reged: 03/10/11
Re: 4 year symptoms? new
      #256521 - 07/10/11 09:11 PM

"Can someone here please list all of the symptoms that people have experience like say, around 4 years after becoming infected?"

MY! You don't ask for a lot do you. I know you asked for symptoms of late HIV infection but there is no such thing. There are sometimes symptoms of Acute Retro-viral Syndrome (ARS) when the body is seroconverting and they are sometimes what you listed. But after 4 years you would be way past that stage.

After ARS a person can become asymptomatic for many years. As the immune system degrades a person can start having infections that are considered AIDS defining. This normally occurs about 10 years after infection, but can occur sooner.

Since Acquired Immune Defienceny Sydrome (AIDS) is actually a name given to a condition where illnesses normally kept at bay can occur askiing for a list of sypmtoms is monumental. AND a poor way of going about finding out if you are HIV+ .

Here’s a few of the diseases and conditions which are AIDS defining. My guess is when you look up all the ‘SYMPTOMS’ associated with these you will find many that you decide fit your current situation.

Bacterial Diarrhea
Bacterial Pneumonia
PCP – Pneumocycstis Pneumonia – use to be the number one killer of people with AIDS
MAC - Mycobacteriyum Avium Complex
Tuberculosis
Anal Cancer or Dysplasia
KS 0 Saposi’s Sarcoma
Lymphomas
Thrush – Yeast infections
Histoplasmosis
Cryptoccal Meningitis
Dementia
Peripheral Neuropathy
Toxoplasmosis
CMV – Cytomegalvirus

Etc., etc., etc.

Now you can do this the hard way and try to associated whatever health problems you are experiencing with something above....or you can just go get tested. If you haven't had any possible exposures in the last 3 months then the test will be conclusive.

Good luck with it.

austerlitz

#256522 - 07/10/11 10:03 PM

Thank you. I was curious to that. When would something called Herpes Zoster appear? Would it only appear during seroconversion or could it appear later on? That is the last thing I need answered. Thank you again.

crabmanModerator

#256530 - 07/11/11 07:19 AM

Shingles (Herpes Zoster) can appear at anytime to ANYONE that has ever had the Chicken Pox. Since Shingles have been around long before HIV even existed it's safe to say people that are HIV NEGATIVE get them as well as HIV Positive individuals so it is in no way an indicator of status. It is only an AIDS defining illness for those that are in fact HIV+, since, obviously if a person doesn't have HIV, they certainly don't progress to AIDS.

Now - grow up and quit playing your little guessing games and go get a test if you are so concerned about your status.

austerlitz

#256532 - 07/11/11 01:16 PM

Thank you for answering my questions. I am glad I know more about these things now. You may want to be a little more polite though to people who ask questions. People come here to not only *guess* but to learn because they are afraid. Respect through politeness will help people more as they come here, since this site was designed to help others learn more about this disease. You wouldn't want to be mean and make someone feel bad just for asking what the symptoms are, now would you? That sort of defeats the purpose of The Body so reconsider the words you choose on here ok? Take it easy.

crabmanModerator

#256533 - 07/11/11 04:11 PM

...and you my dear may want to remember that people answer you out of the goodness of their hearts and there is no reason that they should have their time wasted by answering endless questions about symptoms while the questionner indulges their own self centered need to guess about their status instead of just taking a test.

You might want to be more polite about asking inane questions that ultimately won't answer the question you really want to have answered.

Now you certainly don't want to waste anyone else's time with pointless questions about symptoms now would you? It sort of defeats the purpose of just getting tested and believing those results.. ok?

Grow up and get tested if you are concerned about your status. It's been 4 years, your test will certainly be conclusive.

bartlebyAdministrator
Admin

Reged: 01/19/10
      #256537 - 07/11/11 05:31 PM

@crabman, cut him some slack. it's his first time asking. i appreciate you answering questions, but don't take out frustrations from past worried wells on the new guy.

@austerlitz, crabman is right about just getting a test. symptoms are unreliable. a lot of things can be considered symptoms. if you've had unprotected sex, get tested for HIV. the window period is three months post exposure. so four years is more than enough time.

--------------------
Bartleby at The Body
Bulletin Board Administrator

austerlitz

#256548 - 07/12/11 04:44 AM

You know the funny thing is, I don't recall saying I had to get tested. I am doing this as part of an assignment in school. I was only asking basic questions, mostly regarding symptoms. I never needed a test. I have only had sex once and it was protected. No oral. My chances are slim if any. I am sorry for confusion. My assignment clearly states to read websites, as I did I found this one so I thought it be wise to ask actual people about symptoms to hear (well actually read) what they had to say. I guess people come here a lot to find out their risk to this disease and if they should test or not.

I am sorry again. I do still find it rather rude however to have been lectured verbally and also spoken to as if I need to *grow up* or something along that line, when all I did was ask simple questions. Like the others that come here, it seems as though people are scared and just want help because they fear going in to get tested. What if that answer is something that could change how they live life? They are just scared, and speaking to others in such a way when all they asked for was a little help is not really a mature or a kind way of going about it. Just advice, that's all.

Anyway, well thanks again everyone for helping. Take it easy.

rustychaucer5968
Fanatic

Reged: 08/10/11
      #257068 - 08/19/11 01:06 AM

Hi Austerlitz,

I have been tested 6 times and all negative from my last at risk exposure in October 2006. THat is 4 years ago and 1 month. I went to my doctor today and indicate to her my fear. She said that a test past 6 months (which is the window period) and negative ...is conclusive. I am trying to accept my negative results. That is why she gave me paxil and clonozapam for anxiety and depression.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21449

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3