Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
roma2010

Reged: 07/23/10
Anybody here knows the window period for HTLV?
      #252550 - 10/18/10 03:45 PM

The reason im asking is because i have been trying to get info about HTLV window period and most sites say 40 to 50 days is the average to turn positive but i have read cases of people testing far out to 4 months and comes back negative but later tests come back positives(nothing straight forward as with HIV which every where it says 3 months) ..my Dr ordered a HTLV test and i will be getting the results by thursday or friday im starting to think i might be infected with HTLV because the symptoms fit specially the white thrush w/ scalloped tongue (normally happens early with HTLV as oppose to a few years after with HIV) and the brain demyelination which i have as my MRI results show, both of the symptoms can happen with HTLV at a very early stage of the infection even a few weeks after you get infected and that's exactly how it happened to me so im thinking i have HTLV, i hope not but im almost sure that this is what it is, which it would suck big time because there is no treatment for HTLV available yet.
I know this is not the right place to ask this as this is an HIV forum but i thought i would give it a try because i cannot seem to find a straight answer anywhere else.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
chrisbadmushroom
Regular

Reged: 05/24/07
Re: Anybody here knows the window period for HTLV? new
      #252551 - 10/18/10 04:15 PM

Never found any real good info on HTLV sorry not sure about window period and have you been diagnosed with thrush because some people mistake bacterial coated tongue for thrush (believe me thrush is painful

roma2010

#252557 - 10/18/10 05:22 PM

No i haven't been diagnosed with thrush but when the doctor saw my tongue he said that the white coat on it was too thick plus it burns ever day and he also saw the teethmarks on the side of it and he said that it may be due to having an enlarged spleen which normally happens with viral infections, he ordered a bunch of tests and they all came back normal my CBC from back in July and the one 3 months later are exactly the same, no changes in WBC RBC lymphocytes or anything the only thing is that the brain MRI shows demyelination and i feel it too i can feel an aura on my head and sometimes really painful stabbing sensations that make my eyes watery along with a sensation of having a wave heat going through my head i also feel tingles in my eyes and ear ringing very often along with a feeling of my ears trying to pop and of course this all comes along with confusion and disorientation, muscle twitches and the list goes on, according to my research this symptoms can be caused by any virus that would go to the brain, specially HTLV or herpes simplex #6 .

chrisbadmushroom
Regular

#252558 - 10/18/10 06:20 PM

the swollen tongue can also be thyroid related and there are other causes I am sure let me know if you have HTLV i would be interested also have you checked into XMRV? check it out it is in the same family as HIV it is the cause of my chronic oral thrush and my swollen tongue

roma2010

#252559 - 10/18/10 06:41 PM

i already did all tests for thyroid all negative i think is HTLV the more i look into it the more i find evidence that it's Characterized by progressive demyelination of the long motor neuron tracts of the spinal cord and brain, i already looked into XMRV and it seems to be even more prevalent than HTLV in USA the problem is i can't anywhere to get tested, but first im going to wait for my HTLV results, the Dr, seems to think it could still be something else rather then a retrovirus due to the fact that almost six months into this i haven't had any swollen lymph nodes or have had any fever or diarrhea and initially after i started getting sick i lost some weight about 6 lbs but now im actually gaining weight im like 6 or 8 lbs heavier then what i was before i got sick, i really don't know what else to do or think but it is for sure driving me crazy.

chrisbadmushroom
Regular

#252560 - 10/18/10 08:00 PM

Also if you live in the US I would doubt HTLV it is rare
Look at this site many people on it believe they have the Chinese FEAR OF AIDS syndrome ( A mysterious viral infection that has HIV type symptoms and seems to spread through entire families)
http://chronicsorethroat.wordpress.com/2007/05/27/chronic-sore-throat/

Edited by chrisbadmushroom (10/18/10 08:46 PM)

roma2010

#252566 - 10/19/10 12:41 AM

i do live in the USA and according to numbers from wikipidea HTLV infections in USA as of 2007 were an estimated 300000 about a third of HIV infections the problem is that clinics, hospitals don't mention anything about it because the follow the cdc guidelines and they have the false assumption that rarely causes any sickness, from what i have read and researched most people that have it actually are really sick all the time many of them undergoing chemotherapy because of leukemia many people with HTLV say that they have HIV + friends that have better quality of life than they do,due to the fact the HIV meds are now a days very effective and there is no treatment for HTLV, but since its a similar virus to HIV i would think that HIV drugs would work for it too.

roma2010

#252623 - 10/21/10 01:25 PM

HTLV Elisa and Western Blot 1/2 at 6 months negative the Dr. says the window period for is about the same as HIV and 6 months it's conclusive and definite.

tonydewitt
New User

Reged: 03/28/12
      #263988 - 06/21/12 05:15 PM

So because your doctor says it's not HTLV, did you find out what it really was?

tonydewitt
New User

#265550 - 08/17/12 03:47 PM

The FDA is about to approve tofacitinib for treating Arthritis. The hidden surprise in tofacitinib is that since it is a JAK inhibitor, it is effective against two disorders caused by HTLV: HAM and ATL. Once the drug is approved, 25 million HTLV sufferers will ask their doctors for tofacitinib, in order to treat HAM (which leads to being in a wheelchair) and ATL (which leads to death by a rapidly fatal leukemia). Other JAK inhibitors include AG490.

luckpls
New User

Reged: 08/30/12
      #265990 - 08/30/12 10:46 AM

How does it help the ATL patient? Could save them from fatal?

luckpls
New User

Reged: 08/30/12
      #266004 - 08/31/12 11:50 AM

hi tony,

so you have tested positive for htlv? are you suffering HTLV inflammation symptoms?

tonydewitt
New User

#268782 - 11/02/12 06:49 PM

Postive test, no. Inflammation, yes.

tonydewitt
New User

#268877 - 11/08/12 12:35 PM

Xeljanz (tofacitinib) has been approved on November 7th, 2012 - the hidden surprise is that it is effective against two disorders caused by HTLV: HAM and ATL. Since there are WAY more HTLV sufferers than arthritis sufferers, this drug will sell well because HTLV sufferers have no treatment for their suffering thus far.

ashler1977
Veteran

Reged: 05/18/12
Loc: Europe
      #268878 - 11/08/12 01:23 PM

Quote:

No i haven't been diagnosed with thrush but when the doctor saw my tongue he said that the white coat on it was too thick plus it burns ever day and he also saw the teethmarks on the side of it and he said that it may be due to having an enlarged spleen which normally happens with viral infections

I am interested in your case because I have some of your symptoms:

white tongue
hyper salivation
irritated taste buds in the tip of the tongue
teeth marks in the tongue's border

All these symptoms came 4 months after a one night stand with a girl (unprotected oral sex from her to me, the rest protected). I am currently living with these symptoms for the last 5 months.

My white tongue is not thick, and it usually goes away after I eat something, then comes back some hours later. The irritated taste buds are the problem. When I speak too much, the friction between the tip of my tongue and teeths is sometimes uncomfortable/painful.

Some pics of my tongue:

Tongue left side: notice the pimple/irritated taste buds
http://imageshack.us/f/825/tongueside1.jpg/

Tongue front: notice the irritated taste buds
http://imageshack.us/a/img687/6173/tonguefront.jpg

The picture below is not mine, but it looks like my tongue:

http://www.tcmyellowpage.com/Literature/UploadPic/2012-8/201281421352639901.jpg

About the tests, I have been tested negative for HIV, Vironostika Uniform Ag/Ab at 5 weeks, 2 months, 4 months, 7 months, and then with a CMIA Ag/Ab (I think it's an Architect Abott test) at nearly 9 months post exposure.

I have been tested positive for CMV, Herpes (don't know if 1 or 2), Hepatitis A and EBV.

A tongue culture revealed yeast 4 months post exposure. However, I have been tested for it twice in the last 2 months and it came back negative. There were also some bacterias found and some were erradicated, however, I still have this bacteria: Haemophilus influenzae. The doctor didn't want to give me more antibiotics because she does not think this is the reason of my tongue problems.

So my doctor (a dermatologist) recommended me to go to an inmunologist, and maybe also to an oral surgeon, to take a biopsy of these pimples/swollen taste buds on my tongue.

I will keep you posted if I ever find the solution to this.

--------------------
Oral Sex: What's the Real Risk for HIV?
http://www.thebody.com/content/art58210.html

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14800

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3