Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
anonymouslad

Reged: 11/22/04
worried I've got HIV after oral without
      #238482 - 04/14/08 02:20 PM

4 weeks ago I had unprotected oral(I was the receiver) with a girl. 2 weeks later I started getting back and neck pains. Plus regularly feeling mildly sick. Now those back and neck pains are getting quite severe(I'm literally in agony as I type this with these pains). These pains could well be nothing nothing to do with a possible std infection. But this along with regularly feeling mildly sick is getting me very worried I'm one of the tiny tiny percent of people who've been unlucky enough to get HIV through unprotected.

Do these symptoms(in particular the severe band and neck pains) sound like I could have possibly picked up any std?

Worried sick.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Florida69
Legend

Reged: 02/19/07
Re: worried I've got HIV after oral without new
      #238485 - 04/14/08 03:58 PM

First thing you should do is educate on how HIV is transmitted. A girl giving you oral in theory might be a risk, however in 25 years of this disease no one has ever tested positive from it. Secondly, back and neck pains are not a sympton of HIV. Mildy sick is not it either, if you had contracted HIV, most people have severe flu like symptoms within two weeks of being infected. In fact I have never heard of an STD that had those symptoms. The only way you can get HIV is from penetrative sex (anal or vaginal) or blood transfusion. Always use a condom when engaging in sex to protect yourself from all STDs this way you don't have to be worried sick. Good luck, D

anonymouslad

#238486 - 04/14/08 05:03 PM

Thanks for your reply.

From spending hours reading the archive on oral sex concerns on this site, it is very reassuring. With the experts saying that there is an extremely low chance of getting HIV this way. Think they put the risk at 0.5 per 10,000 exposures or something like that. Some of the experts even saying that it's not even worth getting tested for HIV if this is their only potential exposure. Though some of the responses on the statistics of people actually being infected with HIV this way are a little conflicting. Some answers say there are no documented cases of anyone getting HIV through oral, while some answers say there are some/a very limited number of reported cases of people getting HIV through oral. It does make me wonder what is the real answer to this?

Chances are these probelms I'm experiencing(severe back and neck pains and feelng mildly sick regularly) are indeed completely unrelated. But I can't help feel a bit worried the worst possible scenario has happened, what with me getting getting unprotected oral a few weeks ago.

I will however allways be safe in the future and use protection when giving or recieving oral.

Edited by anonymouslad (04/14/08 05:07 PM)

Robertguy
Regular

Reged: 03/09/08
      #238561 - 04/17/08 01:37 PM

HI, anony
I~m glad tha you´re ok, specially in this case
I did the same 2 months ago, but I gave orla sex in one guy. Afeter that I felt some stuff but I tested, exactly 8 weeks, and its negative. I still got some stuff going on (headache, stomach pain and i cannot sleep weel) but I´m waiting the 12 weeks th repeat it.
Good luck and always take care
Bye

ravi
Legend

Reged: 11/19/05
Loc: Adelaide, Australia
      #238570 - 04/18/08 06:47 AM

Hi,

Receiving oral sex is a no risk event in particular. However, other potential STD's can be transmitted this way. HIV testing is advised only to calm fears.

To avoid such anxious episodes in future, use condoms!

Goodluck

--------------------
Take Care

God Bless you

Stay Well

Love Ravi

anonymouslad

#238672 - 04/21/08 02:02 PM

Thanks for the advice. But I am still VERY worried. Despite the dozens(if not hundreds) of messages I've read on this site that the chance of getting HIV through recieving oral unprotected are extremely extremely low. Despite the fact that experts on TheBody don't even recommend getting tested for HIV if unprotected oral has been their only risk. Despite the fact that in a staggering 27 years of HIV and AIDS there have been no documented cases atall of anyone getting infected with HIV through receiving unprotected oral, I am STILL worried sick I've got HIV. I feel I could be extremely unlucky enough to get infected this way.

Update on my symptoms.....

The regularly feeling mildly sick feeling has gone away.

I still have back and neck pains(3 weeks now) but not as severe as last week.

New symptonms I am now getting.....

Last week(4 weeks after the oral sex enounter) I started getting occasional mild groin pain. Though on one day the pain was quite bad, allthough only lasted about 1 minute.

Last week I started getting these tingling sensations in my feet. These feelings I am now getting up to several times every day. They seem to be only in the one foot rather than both feet.

Also in the past week I've deveopled a sore throat.

Because of these symptoms I'm experiencing I am beginning to freak out more. Because they're all coming at the same time, just a few weeks after this possible exposure to HIV.

As with my other symptoms these could well(I hope like mad) be completely unrelated to HIV. I have done a search on the internet for "tingling in feet" and "groin strain" and it reveals that they could be a number conditions. The tingling in my feet sensation could be that I have had dry feet for several years now(and haven't had them looked at medically), or it could be something simple such as sitting or standing for long periods of time, or anxiety. More seriously it could be something like multiple sclerosis or diabates. The groin pain could be something serious like testicular cancer. These are just a few examples. However these symptons could also mean possible HIV.

Have a look at this link here http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/symptoms/tingling_in_one_foot/causes.htm which has me worried somewhat.

Any experts here please let me know what you think now. Am I over reacting? Have I still got nothing to worry about? Do you suggest I forget all about this obsessing that I could have HIV? And it's not even worth getting tested? Or are these symptons now screaming out possible HIV?

I know the odds are astronomically in my favour(as Dr Bob would say), and there has not been a single documented case in 27 years of HIV & AIDS of anyone getting infected through receiving unprotected oral, blah blah blah, etc, but I am still WORRIED SICK. And am extremely scared of getting tested. I feel knowing my bad luck I've got HIV. The first person EVER to get infected this way. Despite the "astronomical odds of my favour" that I would negative.

Advice please.

Edited by anonymouslad (04/21/08 03:04 PM)

Choosing2Liv
Legend

Reged: 03/21/06
Loc: South
      #238699 - 04/22/08 03:06 PM

Quote:

Advice please.

I'm not trying to be funny or disrespectful, but what type of "advice" are you seeking?

It appears that you have all of the answers.

anonymouslad

#238707 - 04/22/08 04:59 PM

I'm after advice as to what the more knowledgable people about HIV think about the symptoms I am getting, and whether these symptons are screaming out possible HIV or not. And whether I seriously need to get tested or not. Or just forget about it all, stop obsessing about this HIV business as there's no way I could have got HIV through this method.

Someone said that if I had contracted HIV I would be getting severe flu like symptons within a few weeks of the exposure. Is this strictly true? Because I am not getting any severe flu like symptoms. Though I am getting the symptons that I mentioned.

I've been trying to be optimistic about it today and think once again of all the many many messages I have read on this site that the chances of getting HIV through unprotected oral is very close to zero chance and that there have been no documented cases in 27 years, yet when I get this tingling in my feet and groin pain it gets me all worried again. Seriously worried. Something is causing this, and my worst fear is that I've been incredibly unlucky enough to be the first person ever to get HIV through this method.

Some people on here seem VERY confiditent that it's just completely impossible to get HIV through oral sex, with messages like "Blowjob has no risk associated with it." and ". thisyou can't get HIV from getting a blow job PERIOD. Saliva is not infectious and I have read it deactivates the virus.".
I really hope like absolute bloody mad that is true. I sure as hell don't want to have to post a message on here saying that I got HIV through oral.

anonymouslad

#238708 - 04/22/08 05:22 PM

I also found this posting on here. Someone HAS got HIV through oral....

Quote:

I have NEVER had unprotected anal sex and only Oral sex with NO ejaculation. Sadly I am in the very small minority who cought HIV this way ( diagnosed 3 weeks ).

Oral sex can be risky if you have bleeding gums, recently brushed your teeth or have a bite or cut in your mouth. Although I cought it from precum the chances in the big wild world are slim. I was very unlucky.

As Debs said your symtons could be anything but will oly be made worse by stress.

Finding out you are Poz is not the end of the world, but a start of a brand new LIFE.

I am sure you will be negative too, but you need to know that the only safe sex is NO sex.

Richie UK

anonymouslad

#238709 - 04/22/08 05:45 PM

This is driving me mad. I'm on here everyday reading about HIV and oral sex. There is definitely conflicting info on this site.

This is one message Dr Bob posted....

Quote:

Hi,

The estimated per-act risk for acquiring HIV from insertive oral sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 0.5 per 10,000 exposures. As for my personal experience (27 years and counting), the number of confirmed cases I witnessed from a single blowjob is exactly zero! Yep that's correct zero, zip, nada!

as well as the messages on here saying "there is no risk of HIV through oral", etc, etc. Yet if you search for "oral sex" fact sheets on TheBody, it says "there are a number of cases of people getting infected through oral". This is driving me mad. I don't know whether to be think positively or indeed fear the worst possible scenario.

pharmstudent

Reged: 04/22/08
      #238719 - 04/22/08 11:15 PM

Some people have HIV but don't know because they don't show any sign. Just because you don't have any symptoms does not mean you're not infected. The information you got about not contracting HIV from oral sex is wrong. anytime you have unprotected sex whether if it's oral, anal or other, you are at risk for getting HIV. Kissing is considered safe, although there is a theoretical possibility of transmission via virus in saliva. The low concentration of virus in saliva of infected individuals, as well as the presence in saliva of certain thing that make it impossible to get HIV from kissing

anonymouslad

#238722 - 04/23/08 02:19 AM

So these experts on here with many years expertise of HIV, are in fact giving false information on here then?

chris9283

Reged: 09/29/09
Loc: Orlando, FL
      #247790 - 09/30/09 10:37 AM

this is for anyone who chances along this post as well as for the poster if he sees it. The cases of HIV being spread through oral sex are so few and far between as to be considered "negligible" not "non-existent". The act of putting a penis or a vagina in your mouth is a "sexual" act and can lead to a "sexually" transmitted disease. But it upsets me that while HIV is the scariest little bugger around, nobody is worried about putting genitals in their mouth and waking up with pussing blisters from herpes, or getting gonorrhea in your throat! We are all adults and have to take responsibility for our adult actions. Anonymouslad, I really hope that by now you have gotten tested and either dealt with or put to rest your fears. And anyone who reads this post, get up the courage to test, not just for HIV but for all std's on a regular basis. Even with HIV life is still livable and it's still life, and life is good!! Get tested and if it's negative, count your blessings and keep yourself protected. If it's positive then do the same and take care of yourself and others.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 38663

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3