Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Hartigan

Reged: 10/29/06
HIV & seborrheic dermatitis
      #213243 - 10/29/06 06:44 AM

Hi, this is my first post. I'm concerned I may have HIV.

I am a 22 year old male. On August 5th 2005, I engaged in receptive, unprotected anal sex with a man. I wanted him to wear a condom but he insisted he had only got his "test results back last week", and was clear of any diseases. I didn't know the guy very well and tried to get him to use protection, but we ended up having unprotected sex.

In the week that followed I had diarrhoea. There were no symptoms after that until about week 4 or 5, at which point I became very ill. My throat was very sore and I developed tonsillitis - my tonsils exuded white gunk. I got headaches, fatigue and muscle aches and generally felt pretty awful. The lymph nodes on my neck and groin became swollen. I got an ulcer in my mouth and my tongue felt really strange and rough. I also had night sweats and fever. After subsequent research on the internet, all my symptoms pointed to ARS. However, I had not developed any rashes.

I went to the doctor the following week and was tested for HIV and hep. The results were in a week later and I was negative for HIV but positive for Hep B antibodies, but it's unlikely my illness was cause by Hep B.

The doctor told me that the HIV test was definitive - I don't have HIV. I was quite relieved.

But then two weeks ago I developed seborrheic dermatitis. I've never had it before. I got some anti-fungal steroid cream and it's cleared it up a bit, but the red patches are still there - the 'scaliness' is gone though.

What concerned me was when I discovered that seborrheic dermatitis was often seen in those who are HIV positive. I later read that you can only be certain you are HIV negative after a 3 month test. Why did my doctor tell me otherwise?

My glands are still swollen.

So yeah... I'm starting to get worried again. I thought it was all over.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: HIV & seborrheic dermatitis new
      #213280 - 10/29/06 07:59 AM

"What concerned me was when I discovered that seborrheic dermatitis was often seen in those who are HIV positive."

What you are not taking into consideration is that seborrheic dermatiitis is often seen in those who are HIV NEGATIVE and that you have tested NEGATIVE for HIV.

You're doctor seems to be up on the latest in HIV testing. Many reliable testing and health agencies inside, but still mostly outside the US now say that 6 weeks is conclusive.

You did have a high risk, being the bottom for anal is second only to IV drug users for the rate of transmission. Please respect yourself enough to always insist on condoms.

If you want, take a 3 months test, which the CDC still says is the time for a conclusive test. Know however, that people that are testing negative at 6 weeks on today's tests, aren't testing postive at 3 months. Which is why your doctor told you that you don't have HIV.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#213298 - 10/29/06 08:17 AM

With all the debate about window periods....your not the only one on this forum who has got concerns (as a result of symptoms, after risky exposure) about clinicians suggesting your OK after say a 6 week neg.

The more you research on the internet, the more you will come to find that those saying 6 weeks is OK, are frankly talking out of their **ses it may be 95% percent or so conclusive, but everybody whose had a scare knows thats not sufficient, either to be conclusive or relieve anxiety. In additon ther has been a number of individuals even on this forum in recent times that had to wait 13 weeks at least before getting a positive diagnoses.

its usually actual doctors that state six weeks is conclusive, becuase they personally havent had a case in which someone converted beyond that time, or they cite publications, taken from samples at clincis etc....even so people are still turning positve beyond 6 weeks, better to be safe than sorry. Thats not to say worry yourself to death...just get another test done and once its neg...forget about relating symptoms to HIV.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#213405 - 10/29/06 12:42 PM

There really isn't much of a debate anymore, except among worried wells. They tend to endlessly search the internet to find old, outdated, rare information.

Just listen to your doctor instead of some mental worried well.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9442

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3