Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can neuropathy be a sign of HIV.
      #198746 - 07/03/06 11:11 PM

I recently tested negative for HIV at 15 weeks, but I am having neuropathy in feet and legs. If it's not being caused by HIV, then what could it be?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
coby
Grand Master

Reged: 04/01/06
Re: Can neuropathy be a sign of HIV. new
      #198751 - 07/04/06 02:10 AM

If your feeling the pins and needles that can come from stress as well. I had it and still have it after a year and still test neg after a known exposure. Don't go off symptoms and get tested, when testing you follow your heart and do what is in your best interest. Only you know deep in your heart if there is someting not ok with your body.

Good luck

Anonymous
Unregistered

#198764 - 07/04/06 08:44 AM

That from a woman, that after a year is still convinced all those peace of mind tests she takes with negative results are wrong.

You test result is conclusive. We aren't doctors so we can't tell you what it is. If it is something that concerns you see your doctor.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#198799 - 07/04/06 07:22 PM

Neuropathy is usually not a very common symptom in early HIV infection. It affects about 30% of people with HIV but it's more common in people with advanced HIV i.e. those with AIDS and sometimes those that have been on anti retroviral drugs for many years.

Because you tested negative at 15 weeks, your symptoms are not being caused by HIV. However, you may want to test for other things like hepatitis B and C, herpes or syphilis. Also test for diabetes as neuropathy can be caused by high blood sugar. Abnormal thyroid gland function is another thing you might want to test for. Alcholism can be another risk factor for neuropathy.

If the symptoms continue, I would suggest you see a neurologist as you cannot regenerate destroyed nerves and you may end up with permanent numbness.

SA_Intellect
Guru

Reged: 03/27/06
Loc: San Antonio, Texas
      #198819 - 07/04/06 10:59 PM

Neuropathy is often seen in people with acute HIV and Aids, however, if you just got a test and it was negative, then obviously this is being caused by HIV.

Untreated diabetes can cause neuropathy in the limbs and eyes. If you believe you have neuropathy, then you should see a doctor immediately because it can lead to the need for an amputation or blindness. Don't, however, self-diagnose. That's a doctor's job.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5719

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3