Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is there any STD that can produce these symptoms?
      #19527 - 07/20/01 01:52 AM

Lately I have been experienceing several symptoms that I can not figure out where they are coming from. The most severe of which is a rash over my body. I wouldn't really call it a rash. It's more like small round firm bright red bumps that are over my body. The highest concentrations of these are on my scalp, and fore arms. I also have them on
my legs as well. Some of them are puss filled. Before the rash started I noticed one sore on the area between my penis, and leg. It lasted for about 6 weeks and then went away. The bumps I have now seem to come and go in a couple weeks time and usually seem to appear at a hair follicule. Also I seem to have some pretty severe dandruff and excessive sweating lately. The skin is also flaking from the sides of my nose, and my face around my nose.
I have not been tested for HIV as I performed very low risk protected activities only about a year ago. This is my only possible exposure.

I'm asking the following questions:
1.) Does the type of rash described sound like any known conditions people who are HIV+ experience?
2.) Are excessibe dandruff and sweating common among people who are HIV+?
3.) Are there any other STD's that could produce these symptoms?
4.) Would symptoms show up only after one year of being infected with the virus?

Thanks for your help...

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Oops
Unregistered

Re: Is there any STD that can produce these symptoms? new
      #19530 - 07/20/01 08:53 AM

Opinions in answer to your questions:
1) ARS rashes, which you refer to, typically appear only once. ALL ARS symptoms typically appear only once. Then they go away. Typical time frame for those is in the 4 - 8 week range, although they can show up sooner. They do not, to my understanding, come and go on a continual basis.
2) Possibly. They're also common among people who have excessive dandruff and who sweat a lot.
3) Yes. Syphillis, for openers, depending on when the symptoms started in relation to a possible exposure.
4) Probably not.

*I* don't think you're showing signs of HIV infection, but you have to remember that A) HIV infection is asymptomatic at least half the time, and B) there are NO common symptoms that say "These are the symptoms of an early HIV infection;" C) There are NO symptoms of acute/early HIV infection that can be taken as reliable indicators - those "red flags" simply don't point to HIV in and of themselves.

If you think you've been exposed to HIV, or to another disease, you need to do two things. First of all, talk to a knowledgable medical resource (your doctor, someone else's doctor, your local health clinic, etc.) to assess your risk. Secondly, based upon their risk assessment and whatever you need to do for your own peace of mind, GET TESTED sooner rather than later. In your case, since you're concerned about other STDs as well, get tested for those too.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Is there any STD that can produce these symptoms? new
      #19553 - 07/20/01 06:21 PM

Why don't you stop scaring yourself and go see a Doctor?
Whatever it is doesn't sound like fun (or HIV) and is probably readily taken care of.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5626

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3