Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

condoms??
      #164756 - 11/20/05 02:11 PM

Has there ever been a case where the condom did not break or slip off and a person still got infected??? ive read that condoms are not 100% but in wut way? are they 100% safe if they dont break??? please clarify.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: condoms?? new
      #164760 - 11/20/05 05:20 PM

If you used a condom and it didn't split ( and you would know if it had it isn't something that happens subtly) you will not have HIV. A condom is not 100% because occasionally they fail, if they don't fail HIV transmission cannot occur so don't worry

Anonymous
Unregistered

#164773 - 11/20/05 07:40 PM

when you say fail..you mean when they rip and such.. true?

2ndChance
Expert

Reged: 08/09/05
      #164774 - 11/20/05 07:42 PM

Yes, and when they split you will notice it. Like a balloon exploding in some cases and you will feel the thing split. Don't fret though, just stop what you're doing and apply a new one. It wont matter.

testmeister
All Star

Reged: 11/06/05
      #164792 - 11/21/05 01:23 AM

The short answer is you are more likely to get hit by an asteroid.

Here is a good link for condom efficacy:

http://www.fhi.org/en/RH/Pubs/booksReports/latexcondom/pregandstdprev.htm

Condoms are highly protective, but not perfect. They can break or slip. There are also manufacturing defects in condoms called "pin holes", which are discussed in the link above. But using a condom according to FDA studies cited in that link are 10,000 times safer than not using one (it reduces the fluid flow by that amount) even if you get unlucky and get one that has the defects. You have less than 1 chance in 250 of getting such a condom that passes screening.

When you consider that the risk of tranmission via unprotected vaginal sex is less than 1% and a condom that does not fail (and when they fail, it;s very noticeable) had only 1 chance in 250 that it was a "defective one" and using even a defective one reduced the risk by 10,000 you are talking about:

1/100 * 1/250 * 1/10,000 I think that;s one chance in 250 million.

I think you have better chance of getting hit by asteroid.

Go to durex.com for nice tutorial on how condoms are made and tested:

They are double dipped in latex with the second dip rotated 180 degrees so that any defects don't line up in the same spot. They are electronically tested individually to see if they can conduct current. A statistical meaningful number of them are also filled with air or water until they blow to measure their strength is above acceptable limits. A random number of them are also filled with water and checked for leaks by running them over blotting paper. Upto 4 out 1000 condoms may fail the blot test to accept the batch and ship to customer. If more than 4/1000 fail, the entire batch is thrown out. Notice that the blot test is conducted *AFTER* the electronic test. Condoms are not perfect, but as the calculation shows, if they don't slip and have noticeable shredding, and you didn't create holes by mis-handling (getting tangled in jewlry and opening condom wrappers with a sharp instrument ) you are in good shape.

Look at the February 2005 issue of Consumer Reports for the most reliable condoms to reduce your risk further. I cited the URL in another post, I am too lazy to dig it up tonight. You can google for it.

Good luck.

ravi
Legend

Reged: 11/19/05
Loc: Adelaide, Australia
      #164795 - 11/21/05 01:44 AM

hi

regards from india

Yes, if the condom did not break/slip, you were protected and you need not worry. Nothing is 100 % in this world except death, condoms if used correctly provide close to 100% protection against STD's and HIV, close to 100% since a condom may tear or slip. More than often the source of the flaw is a human error rather than a manufacturing error. Having said that breakage/slipping of condom is not a subtle phenomenon, it can be easily noticed.

if a condom is used correctly such occurances are rare.

goodluck

stay well

take care

god bless you

love ravi

--------------------
Take Care

God Bless you

Stay Well

Love Ravi

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1803

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3