Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Life >> Gay Men

Pages: 1
thinker

Reged: 02/18/10
Ur Stories on Early HIV Symptoms.
      #249470 - 02/18/10 01:08 PM

Hello to all,

I would really appreciate it if some of you out there would share your stories with me about your experience with ARS (early symptoms) before you were diagnosed HIV +. What type of symptoms did you have? How long after your exposure did they occurr? How long did they last? What was going through your mind? I have searced the internet for true stories and have found none. There is a lot of conflicting information out there about ARS and early symptoms. I thought it would be better to just try and get some accounts from people who had experienced it first hand.

Thank you in advance. Your reply is very much appreciated!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kevcnj

Re: Ur Stories on Early HIV Symptoms. new
      #249479 - 02/18/10 07:42 PM

Hi, I can identify with your feelings trying to find symptoms of being newly infected. I have questioned myself many times over the years and drove myself crazy worrying.
As difficult as it may be, the best thing you can do is get a test. I know it sounds like a death sentence, but hey, if you have it you have it. Otherwise everytime you get an ache or pain, you will go into panic mode. Remember if you have HIV, you have it forever. Not being proactive will only delay treatment and cause further problems. Good luck.

LakelandFLMan

Reged: 04/04/09
      #249490 - 02/19/10 03:55 PM

I was exposed in early December 1999, sero-converted in January 2000 and tested positive in February 2000. The sero-coversion was a time of high fever, night sweats, no appetite and the WORST sore throat I've ever had in my entire life. My experienced was very pronounced and I was certain that something was very wrong. I have talked with other guys whose experience was similar to mine, but I have also talked to others who claim they did not experience any pronounced illness during their sero-conversion. They claim they had been completely healthy and only found they were poz because of routine testing. Summarily, there is no one "sure-fire" way to determine by symptoms alone if you are poz. The only way to be certain is to get tested. Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear. Good luck.

thinker

#249493 - 02/19/10 08:52 PM

LakelandFLMan,

Thanks very much for your reply. If you dont mind me asking, how many weeks transpired after you were exposed until you started getting the symptoms? I read conflicting information about the length of time it takes for symptoms to show up. Have seen anywhere from 10 days to 6 weeks.

Angel_Ronnie
Guru

Reged: 06/01/06
Loc: Gauteng, South Africa
      #249495 - 02/20/10 04:27 AM

like lakeland said the best is to do a test. it depends from person to person and how your immune system is at the time. the best way is to have a wb and elisa at 6 weeks that will give a deffinate result.

--------------------
"Live for today, because what you do today is what you use to make your future"

LakelandFLMan

#249591 - 03/01/10 06:53 PM

Sorry thinker, I haven't been online for a while as I've had a friend visiting from out of state for over a week.

As I recall (it was 10 year ago, so my memory is a bit fuzzy), I first began symptoms around 6 weeks after exposure. But I am certain the time period varies greatly as do the severity of the symptoms. Additionally, there apparently is a small group of people whom claim they really never had any symptoms after exposure. I'm somewhat of a skeptic in that regard though, and question if it was really a matter that they had symptoms, but didn't get tested until much later and passed the symptoms off as "the flu" or some other illness.

Warren1234

Reged: 02/27/10
      #249607 - 03/02/10 07:12 PM

LakelandFLGuy:

If you don't mind me asking, did you test multiple times until your test came out positive? Also, if you did test multiple times, about how long after your encounter did you end up testing positive in February (how long was your window period)?

LakelandFLMan

#249614 - 03/03/10 09:40 AM

Warren1234 -
I had tested regularly, about every 4-6 months since 1992 as I had lost a partner to AIDS in March 1992. If my memory serves correctly, I had tested negative in October 1999 before when I believe I was infected in early December 1999 and subsequently I tested positive in February 2000. (Actually the blood draw for the positive test was done in late January and I got the poz results on February 14th......some Valentine's Day present, huh?) So my experience was a sero-conversion (I got sick) about 1 month after infection and showed poz on blood drawn about 1 1/2 months after infection.

GoJimmy1

Reged: 03/25/10
Loc: SAN ANTONIO, TX. USA
      #249919 - 03/29/10 10:07 PM

ok lets see it was aug 2009 and i was very busy cause i had family come to visit me for the summer and i just started a new relationship and things were going good and on the ten of aug i was feeling weak and feel like i had a flu. i went to the store to get over the counter med. i felt so bad i had night sweats, chills, weak, and i did not want to eat or smell food. i finely went to see the doctor and he said i had infection and i went home and i was still feeling bad and each week went back to see the doctor and same thing he said its just infection. so one day i was really sick and i was so dehydrated and i told my brother to take me to the hospital and they gave me IV and he ran some test and ask me it i had taken an HIV test and i said no since i use rubber with the guy i was dating what was the chance of having HIV, but never metion to me that i could have HIV. so i went home and i felt alittle better. so went to see my doctor again but this time i ask him run all test on me from TB, Hep, STD and HIV. so they did and at this time its going on three weeks of being sick and missing so much work. also i have drop so much wt. went down to 197. it was about two to three days pass and the dr. office call and said they wanted to see me. so i got ready and went down there. when he came in he said that he had bad news. i said yes! he told be that i had HIV and i just took a deep breath and he said you look like your not surprise. i turn to him being gay i always new this could happien but never thought it would. i guess i was releive because i was thinking that i was losing my mind and i was going threw depression. im so glad that i was not depression. then he told me that i needed to go to the hospital so that they can run test on me and at first i did not want to go, but i went.
so they first person i call was my ex and he came over and we talk and i told him please go get tested. he was great he help me so much. then i called my brother and that was the hardest one to tell. i felt so weak but he was there for me. my mama! boy was that really hard but i knew she loves me and she just wanted me to get better. so i was in the hospital for about a week them running test on me to see what med will work. after all that i was able to go home and i went to see a infectious diseases consultants and we talk and he started me on Isentress and truvada.
so i found out in sept 8, 2009 and i went back to see the doctor three months later a viral count went down to low 200. i was so happy. went back in another three months and now it undetected and i still take my med everyday and never skip a day. also i stay happy and i go to the gym and eat right. im going to fight has long has im on this earth. i will never give up and just becsue i have HIV im still alive and im love.
p.s. that guy that gave me HIV and did not tell me he had it. all i can say is i wish you great health and i forgive you. may God be with you!
Jimmy

PozMotion

Reged: 08/09/10
      #251576 - 08/09/10 11:23 PM

I'm fairly certain I contracted HIV around July 21 of 2009. In the second week of August 09 I was very sick for about a week. I had a fever for 5 days straight that at one point reached 103. I also had a sore throat, night sweats, and a nasty rash that covered most of my body towards the end of that week. I was very weak and felt miserable. I had a strong feeling that I was seroconverting. In Sept I tested Positive.
I've talked to some other gay men who say they never had a symptom when they were first infected.
Even if I had never heard of HIV and didn't know anything about it, I would have known something was seriously wrong with my body over the past year. Strep throat twice, skin problems, general fatigue, colds, etc.
I started meds a little over a week ago and have had very few side effects. I'm feeling really optimistic.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 125521

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3