working with kids/legal advice needed

I want to teach cooking classes to teensin the near future. Is there a problem with HIV+ status? Overall, I like to be around kids and have wanted to teach classes as a substitute. I have the proper education. Is there a problem or a test that will be required if I apply to schools?

Response from Ms. Breuer

Good news: no problem, no test. If you are qualified to provide the cooking classes, that's enough. Your HIV status is not relevant to your successful performance of that job.

I encourage you to use the job to teach your students about the importance of handwashing, food safety, and especially what to do if someone bleeds in the kitchen. Many Americans are still a bit irrational about HIV-positive food preparers, and most of us could use reminders about how important it is to clean up with bleach and water after a kitchen blood spill, and to throw out any food contaminated with blood. You would do your students a special service by emphasizing this. Enjoy your teaching!

Nancy Breuer

HIV threat to correctional officers
blue & battered