Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Any recourse if a dentist discriminates?
Mar 17, 1998

I went to a new dentist and thought I should mention that I was HIV-positive. My appointment was at 10 am and I am on Medicaid. Anyway, when I told the dentist he left the room and then I saw people peeking into the room looking at me. A dental assistant started crying and I was told someone would be with me soon. Hours passed. I was so upset. Finally at 4 pm a dentist came. He put on two pairs of gloves and extra face mask and no dental assistant would come to help him. He was ok and took care of me. But it was so traumatic for me. I cried for three days. It was the worse day of my life. Anything I could do about this horrible experience?

Response from Ms. Breuer

Dental offices are covered as "public accommodations" under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and are not allowed to discriminate on the basis of disability. (HIV and AIDS are "disabilities" within the meaning of the act.)

In addition this particular office is also covered by another anti-discrimination law, the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, because it accepts Medicaid which is a federal grant.

Further, federal law requires all medical personnel to take "universal precautions," treating all patients as if they are infected with HIV, hepatitis B, and other bloodborne pathogens. Therefore a dentist who refuses care to an HIV positive patient or treats that patient differently based on HIV status alone may violate three federal laws.

However, your "recovery" (money damages) may be limited, because you were eventually treated by a dentist in the office. You may at the very least report the dentist to the state dental board and send a letter informing the office of its legal obligation to provide service to people with HIV, perhaps seeking to connect the office with HIV educators to prevent this from happening to anyone else.

Contact your local HIV and AIDS Legal Services organization or a civil rights attorney for more information on anti-discrimination law in your state and to help you assess your options. For a referral to an HIV and AIDS Legal Service organization in your state call HALSA at (213) 993-1640.

David Grunwald

Previous
Is AIDS discrimination legal?
Next
Downsizing and AIDS

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.